Whats the most effective way to work a bass jig?

Posted Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:54 pm

Stay tuned
Off to lunch Cool

Posted Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:10 pm

That's a pretty broad question so I'll start. There are many ways to fish a jig I don't think there is a best way. I would start with short drags or hops on the bottom. My thought is let the fish tell you how they want it on a given day ie . dragging it , hopping, swimming ect. Find a jig you like and get out there and throw it. One other tip is to watch your line when fishing a jig it will help you boat more fish. Good luck.

Posted Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:17 pm

Effective way?
Hmm. Tie one on and throw it often. Start by throwing in and around cover. One it will give you a target and second you have a feeling every cast there will be a fish. Toss in and let sit for 5,10,15 seconds. Lift (feel) and reel in and repeat. Imagine how a crayfish moves and try to imitate that at 1st. Try other techniques also but i think 1st mentioned might gain you some confidence.
Later work on as quiet of an entry in water as possible and skipping a jig too.
I'm in process of machining my own skipping design. Fingers crossed.
But if i mess up i have the luxury of machining another mold Cool

Posted Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:52 pm

Heavy wood cover. the heavier the better. Throw it in the thickest nastiest, deepest part and hang on. Don't trim the weed guard, don't trim the skirt and use the trailer of your choice. If it gets to the bottom without getting sucked in. Lift it and drop it. If still nothing lift it again till you feel it contact a branch and "feather" it over the branch and let it fall. reel in and repeat to a different part of the cover or at a different angle.
Does it work in weeds, rock s and open water? yes. But I find it is THE BEST lure to throw into wood.

Posted Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:11 pm

thanks guys. yea i kno it was kind of a broad question but im just looking for any advice about it. This year using a jig was rough to say the least caught one bass on them never used them before this year either so i kno i wasnt doing everything right or anything haha. Thanks again guys

Posted Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:40 pm

stratos1966

Heavy wood cover. the heavier the better. Throw it in the thickest nastiest, deepest part and hang on. Don't trim the weed guard, don't trim the skirt and use the trailer of your choice. If it gets to the bottom without getting sucked in. Lift it and drop it. If still nothing lift it again till you feel it contact a branch and "feather" it over the branch and let it fall. reel in and repeat to a different part of the cover or at a different angle.
Does it work in weeds, rock s and open water? yes. But I find it is THE BEST lure to throw into wood.

Hey Stratos....Ever trim a jig before? Looks reallly nice in the wata. I'll take my jig and stand it straight up and cut in a straight line just below the hook. Then you flipper upside down and even off those strands. Now when ya add the #11 pork, drag her slowwwllllly on the bottom, stop and watch her come alive!!!

Then the 6lber comes along and SLAM....your line jumps so hard it makes the letter S.....reel down and maker her day!! God I can't wait to get out this sat!!

Posted Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:48 pm

Throw the jig everywhere!!!! I have a tendency to fish fast. I cast, let it drop (hope for hit), wait a few seconds after it hits bottom. Then I'll either drag it or hop it a couple of times. Then I reel it back for another try. I've had the most success around wood cover but have caught them everywhere with a jig. This was my first year staying committed to it and it really paid off. When I first started using it I'd only take the jig rod with me and a couple of jigs so I wouldn't switch to something else.

Posted Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:58 pm

Because Im a Flipper (and dont even say flipper head Rich! lmao) I like the jig around docks, its about the only place I feel really confident throwing it, being accurate with the placement in the deepest darkest place under the dock seems to work well, you would be surprised how shallow they will get last week the water was 52, Im guesssing more like 48 or so under the docks and I got busted off by a 6 lber ( I watched her swim away) in less than a foot of water, sometimes they hit it on the fall, sometimes you gotta sshhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake it, hop it pop it to get em to bite , you gotta throw it before you can figure out what works, so get out there and start casting

Posted Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:55 pm

The hardest part when learning jig fishing is detecting the strike. They usually are very subtle and can easily be missed. If you feel any resistance at all on the line SET THE HOOK! Sometimes there is a solid thump but usually the bass just suck it in and start swimming away Exclamation Laughing

Posted Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:27 pm

No Wrong way to fish them. Good way to learn and build confidence is to only bring one rod and force yourself to throw it or get out with someone who is good at it.

Posted Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:40 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links