I'm booked for the next weekend so I will try to put something together for Sunday the 4th Great Herring sounds good but not good for car toppers.If we do Oldham Pond we can mix it up with 15 boats.If we do Great Herring it will have to be 12 boats and not recommended for toppers because of wind factors.Anybody interested give me some suggestions on what you would like to do.I would also like to do east monponsett if Tom can get permission.

Posted Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:31 pm

Idk i fish great herring pond in a 14footer aluminum v-hull with just a trolling motor a lot and i do fine

Posted Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:27 pm

I know but if you get 15 to 25 from one end to the other you may not get back to the ramp from the other end.It depends on the wind direction.I like Great Herring too but We have to keep the flat bottoms in mind.We did one there last year but it was only big boats and think we had 8 total.Tough ramp and others issues.Lets see where this goes,we have a couple of weeks.

Posted Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:36 pm

Thats true i have access to a gas engine to use if we decide on there as well

Posted Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:41 pm

I'm in with my topper so I appreciate you keeping me in mind Ken. I do pretty good in winds up to 20 with the 2 motor setup but safety is a factor this time of year. I definitely don't want to go overboard with all the layers that I wear. I've even worn my vest a few times in the past couple of weeks.

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:25 am

i have a topper aswell and im interested.

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:16 am

shouldn't the gas motors be winterized soon?

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:19 am

If your still running them they don't need to be.Some guys start hunting now instead of fishing,so they winterize early.I never winterized my motor last year.I only took my batteries for a month and we were back on the water i march.We used it right into January.I'm seriously looking towards East Monponsett if Tom gets permission.If not we will do Oldham Pond.

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:50 pm

fishermanmike

shouldn't the gas motors be winterized soon?

Winterizing basically prevents freeze up of lower unit. And a additive to gas just keeps it long enough to prevent gumming etc.
If you change your oil and it is not milky white you don't have a leak and engine will not freeze. Throw some sea foam in tank and run.You will be fine all season long.

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:41 pm

Jay you live in the cold area,I don't but thanks for the advice.When the ice is in it's time to winterize.

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:29 pm

khaskins

Jay you live in the cold area,I don't but thanks for the advice.When the ice is in it's time to winterize.

I'm lost on that?
I can fish CT. River all year. As long as my lower unit doesn't have water (that can freeze) I'm safe to fish. Cool
No winterizing needed. Live-well can be a different story.

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:12 pm

good info. thanx.

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:55 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links