I'm looking for a scale to weigh fish, under 15 lbs, and set the drag on my reels. It needs to fit in my tackle bag.

I've been looking around on line on Cablea's, BPS, Dick's etc. Most of the scales get mixed reviews, particularly the digital ones.

Do any of you have scale recommendations?

Thanks,
Patrick

Posted Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:37 pm

We use digital scales for the kayak tournaments. At the start of each tournament each participant calibrates his scale against a 2.5lb weight. We've had up to 10 different guys compete, each with his own scale and found that none have been off by more than an ounce. Berkley, BPS, Rapala all seem to be fine.

Posted Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:41 pm

I personally want a boga grip.
No electronics to deal with. I do have an electronic one now that i periodically weigh a dumbbell for calibration. I haven't broke down and got the boga grip though.

Posted Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:41 pm

Boga gripes are really a great scale, there expensive but I find with scales you get what you pay for. I think the boga's are less stressful for the fish too, you completely avoid the gill plates and get a number instantly. They make handling pickerels easier. They durable and hold their accuracy.

Posted Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:59 pm

I use boga grips on salt but fresh i use digital I have a rapala and a BPS The bass pro shops is only off about an ounce or two and the rapala is off like 4 ounces but they will vary with every scale the only downfall to boga grips is its not an exact read out its hard to see ounces on them.

Posted Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:58 pm

While I would love to have a Boga grip, that's out of my price range. I'll pick up a digital scale, Rapala, BPS, Berkley, Cabelas, etc. It sounds like they would all do the trick at a value price.

Accuracy within a few ounces is fine. I'm only going to be using it to set my drag, and weigh fish for trip reports on here and my own information.

Thank you all for your input. As always this is a great source of information, and hopefully helps me spend my resources wisely.

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:09 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links