Pure Fishing is the parent company to Abu Garcia, Berkley, Pflueger, Mitchell, Stren, Shakespeare, Fenwick, SpiderWire and other premium brands. They maintain a factory outlet site at www.ffo-tackle.com which sells overstocked new and reconditioned tackle at a fraction of the retail cost. I just picked up an Abu Garcia Orra SX reel and Vendetta 7' MH rod for $87 plus tax and shipping (normal cost on these is $180). Stock changes all the time so it's worth bookmarking and checking in regularly.

Posted Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:28 pm

I HATE MY ORRA SX i used it for 3 weeks last year and has sitting on a shelf since last june the spool lets loose intermittently when hooked into fish, ive owned 3 of the vendettas, my 7 ' MH same one you just bought broke 8" from the top casting a small jig, my 6'6 M the guides break away from the apoxy they use after you put some serious casting in and the same thing is happing to my spinning vendetta as we speak.

sounds like a great discount you go there for what they charge retail but not a bargain at all, sorry for raggin on Abu Garcia, i use to like their gear but no more $$$ from me

Posted Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:46 pm

The first production run of Orras had a problem with the anti-reverse bearing.
This is discussed on the Abu web site. The Abu warranty covers this issue assuming you are still under warranty.

The V series rods have a 3 year warranty so you should be covered there too.

I used the combo yesterday in the Lake Shirley tournament and was very happy with its performance. I suppose time will tell.

Last edited by berkleegrad on Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:52 pm

time will tell for sure, i wouldnt even bother getting them warrantied id rather move on to a new product that will last more than a season without issues.

Posted Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:05 pm

I give a lot of props to Abu for at least allowing the negative posts on their web site and posting their responses. And as an owner of two SilverMax, a ProMax and now the Orra I've had very good success with their reels. I'm sure that every manufacturer has some degree of quality issues. There are certainly a number of posts on the Abu site from folks like you that have broken rods during seemingly light duty action. The more you pay for the gear, the more upset you're going to be when it fails to perform as expected.

I think in the fishing biz half the price of the rod is simply the cost of addressing warranty claims to keep the customer happy. Twenty years ago I broke a rod doing something stupid and Daiwa replaced it for me no questions asked.

Posted Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:16 pm

Nothing good happened for me Too many times on too many products for abu to change my mind on buying their products ever again. It's too bad they have killer looking stuff but I feel as If I see right through their lies. Back to your thread on discounted fishing gear lol

Posted Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:42 pm

LOL! Like you said, too many bad experiences. I'm sure I would feel the same way. In fact I do, about Quantum!!

Posted Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:00 pm

lol yeah im not a quantum fan either, i do own a kvd quantum cranking rod that has been pretty impressive this year. knock on wood right

Posted Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:09 pm

I wouldnt expect much from anything with those price points. If thats your price range go low end shimano. I've been testing my first abu reel after some shimano fails. And for a frog reel its been great and ive intentionally been abusing it. Plus it doesnt feel like its gunna blow up under strain like shimanos tend to.

Posted Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:35 pm

jcotier

I wouldnt expect much from anything with those price points. If thats your price range go low end shimano. I've been testing my first abu reel after some shimano fails. And for a frog reel its been great and ive intentionally been abusing it. Plus it doesnt feel like its gunna blow up under strain like shimanos tend to.

Then you should really check out the new Generation 3 Revos by Abu all the same features of last years but a lot lighter , also the addition of a 8.0:1 STX (199$) that still keeps the 20 lbs of drag

Posted Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:51 pm

jcotier, trying to decipher what you are saying. Are you talking about the price point of the Vendetta rods and that you prefer Shimano rods in that range?

Posted Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:30 am

I plan one picking one up over the winter Neil. Waiting for some more reviews to come in.

And yes I mean in that price range I think Shimano will perform and last better for you. Ive heard not one good things about those rods.

Posted Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:41 am

That's cool. Hopefully I'll be in the group that doesn't have problems with my Vendetta rod. If I do, it still has a 3 year warranty and I paid less than $40 for it so no big financial risk either way.

Posted Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:59 am

sinista

jcotier

Then you should really check out the new Generation 3 Revos by Abu all the same features of last years but a lot lighter , also the addition of a 8.0:1 STX (199$) that still keeps the 20 lbs of drag

this. and you can usually find deals like on ebay. already have 1 and will be replacing the 5 older STX i have.

Posted Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:59 am

chevin37

I HATE MY ORRA SX i used it for 3 weeks last year and has sitting on a shelf since last june the spool lets loose intermittently when hooked into fish,

Do you have it spooled with Braid?

Posted Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:45 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links