I still consider myself a relatively new Bass fisherman. I haven't done a ton of Fall fishing (or had much success).

What style of baits typically work for people this time of year?

Jigs are my go to right now but I'm wondering what other people are having success with.

Do top water style baits still work? How about Buzz Baits?

Are crankbaits the way to go?

Just looking for some fall fishing advice from you experienced anglers Smile

thanks

Posted Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:31 am

This is the latest that I've fished in the year as well. I've caught most of my fish on square billed crankbaits. Yesterday, I couldn't get a bite on a crank or a jig so I started throwing a single blade buzz bait. I caught a dink right away and then missed one on a big blowup so I tied on a 3/8 double blade and proceeded to catch 4 chunks and lose a 4 pounder at the boat in about 20 minutes. Then I broke one of the blades by casting it off a bridge and I didn't get another fish. I had another double blade but it was white and the one I was catching with was black. It was really windy so I think that helped

Posted Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:25 pm

shawneramone

I tied on a 3/8 double blade and proceeded to catch 4 chunks and lose a 4 pounder at the boat in about 20 minutes. Then I broke one of the blades by casting it off a bridge and I didn't get another fish. I had another double blade but it was white and the one I was catching with was black. It was really windy so I think that helped

Thanks for the info Shawn.

I have a couple of buzzbaits but nothing black (or dark). Do you find you have better luck with the darker colors vs lighter colors?

Posted Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:24 pm

Im no pro, but i can tell you using reaction type baits work well for me in the fall. Lipless cranks,chatterbaits,jerkbaits,jigs,topwaters(buzzbait is a fav i throw it even when conditions aren't the best.)

I like to work baits slow unless then bass say other wise. Finding soild cover/structure is usually key especially if you can knock your bait off it.

If you have a shallow waters to fish then i recommended trying there. Thowing jerkbaits in shallow waters can KILL in the fall along with chattersbaits and topwaters.

Every body of water is different so try other lures and techniques you may not use all the time.

Fall is one of my fav seasons to fish! I have had a huge amount of sucess in the fall. Last fall (11/11/11 lucky day!!) I caught around 60 fish including largies/pickerel/panfish and ended up boating two bass over 5 plus a nasty pick that must of been over 26'! It was by far the best fishing trip i had. The pond was on a full feeding feenzy for the whole day!

The annyoing boaters and jet skiers are gone and the fisherman are at peace SO GET OUT THERE BEFRORE THE ICE COMES Laughing

Posted Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:38 pm

jjbagoose

shawneramone

I tied on a 3/8 double blade and proceeded to catch 4 chunks and lose a 4 pounder at the boat in about 20 minutes. Then I broke one of the blades by casting it off a bridge and I didn't get another fish. I had another double blade but it was white and the one I was catching with was black. It was really windy so I think that helped

Thanks for the info Shawn.

I have a couple of buzzbaits but nothing black (or dark). Do you find you have better luck with the darker colors vs lighter colors?

It depends on conditions. early morning/evening or cloudy/rainy is black
bright sunny is white. always works better with wind but I throw them all the time

Posted Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:48 pm

ive been doing a lot of fall fishing and have in years past for bass. id say that while playing in deeper water 10-15 feet i catch a lot of nice pigs. working soft plastics on the bottom like a shakey head or senko never fails. As far as lures go id go with a nice deep diving crankbait. or working spinner baits slow to fast with a nice pause.

Posted Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:39 pm

Thanks for all the great tips.

I like the idea of using the chatterbait. I've never used one before but they look cool.

Posted Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:26 pm

Everyones got a favorite lure, well mine is the chatterbait.

I have more confidence in the chatterbait for quality fish then anyother bait out there. Jigs pretty close, but i just love thowing the chatter. Some say it has it's times when it shines but i think it works all year long. You cant just thow it out like and retrive it and get results all the time. You need to fish however the bass want it.

Posted Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:23 pm

lunkerhunter2366

Everyones got a favorite lure, well mine is the chatterbait.

I have more confidence in the chatterbait for quality fish then anyother bait out there. Jigs pretty close, but i just love thowing the chatter. Some say it has it's times when it shines but i think it works all year long. You cant just thow it out like and retrive it and get results all the time. You need to fish however the bass want it.

I never fished a chatterbait

Posted Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:42 pm

I have a few chatterbaits, but have had very little success with them. They always seem to get hung up too...

Can you go more a little in depth about the retrieve you use?

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:37 am

I fish fast and cover water.
More shallow than deep

Jerkbait
topwater - dark color dark day/light color bright day
Spinner bait-windy
Rattle trap
Chatter bait
Basically faster moving baits

if i can't locate aggressive fish i switch to a jig. if that doesn't work i go home Cool

Good luck

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:13 am

jwall046

More shallow than deep

Good info, thanks Jay.

So is the theory here that you're just trying to locate some aggressive fish that are feeding for the winter?

Just trying to get some insight into the thinking here.

thanks,

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:32 am

jjbagoose

jwall046

More shallow than deep

Good info, thanks Jay.

So is the theory here that you're just trying to locate some aggressive fish that are feeding for the winter?

Just trying to get some insight into the thinking here.

thanks,

Yep, I like to fish fast at times anyway. But the fish could be roaming and feeding.So my theory is to cover water and find the aggressive ones 1st. I'm always intrigued with this fishing stuff as to what to use when. But as a rule of thumb i start out int the top of the water column and fast and go lower in the water column 2nd then maybe slow down 3rd.
Just a theory. I'd hate to be dragging a jig when i could be ripping a jerk bait!
Then you have the other side of the coin,are you going for numbers or size? That could be a different world too? I been throwing a small swimbait in a reservoir by my work just going for 1 big bite (hasn't worked yet,lol). But when i get my swimbait rod I'll be lunker hunting more often.
Try a jerkbait or spinnerbait i think they will produce for you.

Last edited by jwall046 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:26 am

is a linker bigger than a lunker?

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:37 am

shawneramone

is a linker bigger than a lunker?

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:14 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links