I'll start this off by saying that I'm left hand retrieve all the way. I'm right handed and it's just more efficient to cast with my right hand and retrieve with my left. After all, I've been doing it on spinning gear my whole life.

Not quite sure why someone would want to cast right and then transfer the rod to other hand to retrieve. Yet it seems to me that the majority of baitcasters I see in the stores are right hand retrieve and that left handers are in the minority. Your thoughts?

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:08 pm

I am just starting on baitcaster this year and using a left hand retrieve. Since I had no experience either way it made sense that you do the same with spinning gear.

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:20 pm

I used my left hand on spinning tackle but have right handed baitcasters. Its just comfortable in my opinion i dont have any rhyme or reason to it i just like the way it feels.

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:35 pm

I throw, write, bat, golf right handed, but I use a left hand retrieve on all reel types. Growing up I used spinning reels which tend to come with the reel on the left side. I just used them as is. When I went to buy my first baitcast reel I learned that without knowing it I did a good thing in learning to fish left handed. I do feel this is the best of both worlds as the OP stated. I never have to change hands with my rod. With the rod in my dominant hand I feel that I have more control over the rod which equals more control over presentation, more controlled hook sets and more control over the fish.

Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:40 am

I only started using baitcast reels 4 years ago, I went with the left hand retrieve. I have used left hand retrieve on spinning reels for close to 50 years and this setup always felt comfortable.
I'm not sure why right hand retrieve is so common.

Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:19 pm

Left hand retrieve definitely has its ups and downs. When it comes to finding reels it can sometimes be tough. However there are times where you see left hand reels on clearance simply because they are hard to move.

Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:01 pm

I asked this same question about a year ago or less. I am predominantly right-handed, but reel in using my left on a spinning rod. I do however use a right-handed retrieve on a bait caster. Transferring hands takes a half second and just feels better for some reason. I bought a left-handed bait caster, but returned and exchanged it because it just felt awkward. Who knows why, but it just feels right and that's good enough for me!

Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:50 pm

I own and use both. I use a right hand retrieve for moving baits like a spinnerbait, buzzbait or Crankbait but if I am pitching a jig or texas rigging, I use a lefty. Weird but it what works for me

Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:57 pm

stratos1966

I own and use both. I use a right hand retrieve for moving baits like a spinnerbait, buzzbait or Crankbait but if I am pitching a jig or texas rigging, I use a lefty. Weird but it what works for me

That is weird. You're ambidextrous

Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:06 pm

shawneramone

stratos1966

That is weird. You're ambidextrous

Hey now!!!! No name calling!!!

Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:07 pm

i'm right handed, play guitar righty yada yada....yet I bat and play hockey lefty. I also fish with lefty reels. I used to get my spinning reels and pull the handles right off and switch them.

Now either I find good deals on lefty baitcasters or pay through the nose!

Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:04 pm

When I first got a baitcaster I bought a right handed reel. I hated switching hands. It seemed like too much work and I always felt like I'd miss a fish when making the switch. Since I only used spinning gear all my life i was used to reeling lefty so I got rid of that rh reel and have all LH now. The guy at BPS said it's common around here for people to use the lefty's but down south everybody switches hands

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:10 am

I use spinning reels with left handed retrieve. But i think when i started trying the baitcaster (12yr ago) the options were slim for lefties. So i bought a right handed reel and now just cast and switch hands i don't even think about it.
But i like stratos method for flipping ect.

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:52 am

Lefty on everything. I am right handed so having a lefty is a must for skipping baits so I can set the hook immediately instead of switching hands.

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:00 am

Interesting how many of us choose leftys.

Anyway, bought myself a new lefty, a Quantum Smoke 151 HPT and paired it with an Abu Veritas 7' heavy action rod. Wanted this one for the salt, planning on bagging myself a few big blues and stripers from the kayak before the season ends. Can't wait for them to arrive. I might even bring them to the next kayak tourney -- for the pike.

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:31 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links