Its been a solid two weeks since Ive done anything on MAfishfinder, been REALLY busy lately, but I am back and I have a couple of questions about buzz baits. When to fish them? ie: Early morning, afternoon, dusk, etc. Where to fish them? ie: Parallel to shore, open water, around trees, rocks, other structure? also what size is good, ive seen some pretty large buzzbaits and also some pretty small ones, as well as seasonal times. ie: the times in each season (early spring/late summer/fall) etc. I usually fish with soft plastic worms, topwater frogs, senkos, jig-n-pig setups etc. But I just recently purchased a couple of buzz baits from Bass Pro and my local bait shop in Hanover, never really fished with buzz baits and spinners, hoping I could get some good pointers on them. They seem like they'd be a blast to fish with.

Posted Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:18 pm

In response to your questions......when and where to fish buzz baits....the answer is everywhere and everytime you yourselfe mentioned....A buzz Bait will work in warm or cold water, spring, summer or fall, in clear or stained water, shallow or deep water, vegetation or open water, just abot anywhere. They are fish magnets, sometimes the slower you fish them, with just a gurgling sound works, but other times the faster you rip them the more violent the strikes are. I know this sounds like it's no help to you, but they DO work under a vast set of circumstances. I do know one thing....the louder, the better. Sometmes you can give the arm where the bait rides a little bend to make it squeek a little more. Trial and error is your best friend here.

Posted Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:07 am

I agree. I always have one tied on. This year I started throwing double bladed buzz baits. It seems the quality of fish has gone up with it. The buzzbait is my favorite lure to fish.

Posted Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:18 am

The "best" overall conditions for a buzzbait is a cloudy day with a slight chop on the water. Winds out of the s/sw at like 10. They can and will hit it all day under those conditions.

Posted Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:11 am

Absolutely agree with Rich, I have always had buzz baits produce in a little choppy weather, also for me I down size at dusk and calm conditions, and really slow roll it the best I can and usually that produces also.

Posted Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:46 am

Hmm, Buzzbaits. Seems like something I should have.

Great! Now I need to buy more tackle!

My wife isn't going to like this.

Posted Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:56 am

A little chop is definitely a big factor. Man do I get pumped. I wanna go throw mine around right now!!!!

Posted Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:59 am

I agree with Shawn. The twin spin blades produces a little beter, kind of like bending the stem to make more noise. I know at times at winni or champlain that noise has called smallies from a distance. And the bite is awesome.

Posted Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:52 am

Don't know if I am stepping on any toes, but cavitron buzz baits are about the best around. They have holes drilled in the blades, which makes a good buzz, and makes water spit and gurgle.

Posted Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:58 am

Forgive my ignorance, do you guys use any trailers with buzz baits?

Posted Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:37 am

9 times out of 10..... no trailer. I will use one if I need to add "bulk" to the bait so that I can retrieve it super slow

Posted Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:40 am

stratos1966

9 times out of 10..... no trailer. I will use one if I need to add "bulk" to the bait so that I can retrieve it super slow

Gotcha, thanks.

Is that the same for spinnerbaits or are you more likely to add trailers for those?

Posted Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:45 am

I never use trailers but I do use trailer hooks

Posted Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:55 am

Wow thanks guys for all the responses! I appreciate it, and yes I also heard that overcast & windy days are prime time to use a buzz bait. I'll definitely give it a go soon, and depending on how I do ill get one of those double bladed baits. Sounds like itll be fun.

Posted Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:57 am

trailer hooks are a must. 9 out of 10 times, the fish is on the trailer hook on my buzz bait, especially if it's a quick chase down strike. If it's a reaction strike when it hits the water, they'll engulf it.

Posted Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:28 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links