I just broke about 5" off my 3 week old Abu Garcia Cardinal spinning rod. I was carrying it to the house and accidentally let the screen door close on the tip.

While it gives me a reason to buy a new rod, I liked that one.

Rant off.

Patrick

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:45 pm

Welcome to the stupid club! We're all members!

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:50 pm

I did the exact same thing to my BPS bionic blade last year. Smile

Barely had it a month, and SNAP, right in the front door as I was heading out. I felt like such a bonehead.

Atlhough the one nice thing about BPS was they replaced it free of charge, no questions asked. Just had spend the afternoon driving to foxborough instead of fishing Smile

The one good thing is now I'm extra careful about doors.

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:00 pm

not a problem, put a new tip on it and it should be heavy enough to use for a jig rod.

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:17 pm

Check your warranty they will probably give you a new one.

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:29 pm

Thank you all for the sympathy and suggestions.

I picked up a new rod a Dick's this morning. It's a two piece Shimano Sellus Spinning rod.

I also got lucky, and was asked to take a survey in exchange for a $20 gift card. It took 20 minutes and it covered $20.00 of the cost of the rod.

I can't wait to fish it.

That being said, I'm going to contact Abu Garcia/Pure Fishing and see if it's worth my while to send it to them. If it's not, I'll look into putting a new tip on it.

Cheers,
Patrick

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:21 am

Don't feel too bad. I broke a rod this past weekend out of anger and stupidity. That's what I get when a passer by decides to throw their dogs stick right next to me while I was fishing. Which they could clearly see me. I guess better my rod than me breaking their face! LOL

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:39 am

aem1031

Don't feel too bad. I broke a rod this past weekend out of anger and stupidity. That's what I get when a passer by decides to throw their dogs stick right next to me while I was fishing. Which they could clearly see me. I guess better my rod than me breaking their face! LOL

Dude, you broke your Pflueger rod. Ouch, that sucks.

However, there's a nice St. Croix rod at Dick's waiting for you. Wink

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:54 am

The only company I know that has a 100% warrentee is Shimano. All others that I know of have a % . You need to send in the rod and X amount of $$ to get a replacement. I have sent in a half dozen Shimanos over 20 years, all were my fault all replaced no questions asked.

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:09 am

not my Pflueger. It was an Ugly Stick that I've had for some time. Knowing that fishing is my way of unwinding, my wife felt so bad about it, she went out and got me a new combo from Dicks.

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:22 am

stratos1966

The only company I know that has a 100% warrentee is Shimano. All others that I know of have a % . You need to send in the rod and X amount of $$ to get a replacement. I have sent in a half dozen Shimanos over 20 years, all were my fault all replaced no questions asked.

Yeah, I called Abu Garcia, and they said they could replace the whole combo at a 45% discount. I paid $30.00 for the combo at Wal-Mart on clearance. Paying $48.45, plus shipping, to replace it doesn't make sense to me.

The Shimano rod I bought today, only has a 1 year warranty on it, but I bought a extended service plan for it. The piece of mind was worth it.

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:46 am

aem1031

not my Pflueger. It was an Ugly Stick that I've had for some time. Knowing that fishing is my way of unwinding, my wife felt so bad about it, she went out and got me a new combo from Dicks.

Dude, you broke an Ugly Stik. You must have been pissed. Wink

However, your wife does get coolness points for going out and getting you a new combo.

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:47 am

I feel your pain boys ... I have Broken 3 rods of my own thi season ...notice I said my own... Snapped mine and my buddys in the door to the truck...

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:12 pm

I lost a $250 set up last weekend. I had it rigged with a heavy spinner bait which was hanging outside the boat. I guess it caught the water and pulled the rod in without me noticing it. We had heard a splash but didn't know what it was. A few minutes later I realized it was gone. We tried throwing a deep crank bait to try and dredge it up but no luck. I still feel like a complete num num

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:19 pm

azmlii

Thank you all for the sympathy and suggestions.

I picked up a new rod a Dick's this morning. It's a two piece Shimano Sellus Spinning rod.

I also got lucky, and was asked to take a survey in exchange for a $20 gift card. It took 20 minutes and it covered $20.00 of the cost of the rod.

I can't wait to fish it.

That being said, I'm going to contact Abu Garcia/Pure Fishing and see if it's worth my while to send it to them. If it's not, I'll look into putting a new tip on it.

Cheers,
Patrick

I have a sellus 6'8 medium heavy and love it

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:25 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links