spent the day and committed to the frog today. i ended up missing about the same number of fish i landed. but it was worth it to see some larger fish exploding on top. is that just part of fishing frogs or is there a way to increase the chance of getting a solid hookset?

do you need to let the fish take the frog for a bit before setting the hook? i also noticed that all my fish were nailed in the roof of their mouths. maybe a vertical hook set instead of something to the side? i don't know just kind of throwing ideas out there.

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:37 pm

It's so hard but you have to give them extra time to take it before you set the hook

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:55 pm

Funny you bring this up. I was out throwing the frog today as well. I was on a river , not a pond. I find river fish behave differently. They really blast the frog hard. I hade over 20 fish today on the frog and I think I only missed 3 fish. Fish on ponds and lakes dont attack the frog like they do on the river. Onponds I have a less successful hookup ratio but still about 70%. I dont wait at all, If a fish hits and I lose site of my frog, I am setting. If the frog is still there because the bass missed. I try hard not to set so I can continue to pop the frog. 8 out of 10 times a fish will come back for a 2nd chance.

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:56 pm

Frogs are worth throwing but some days they just don`t kill it other days they destroy it i try to wait till i don`t see the frog then ,it`s hammer time ,the bite is different all the time sometimes it`s color if they just swirl at it try diff color black ,white,yellow,green.i`ll have a frog tied on at least one rod pretty much once the water temp hits 60

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:01 pm

Frogs are worth throwing but some days they just don`t kill it other days they destroy it i try to wait till i don`t see the frog then ,it`s hammer time ,the bite is different all the time sometimes it`s color if they just swirl at it try diff color black ,white,yellow,green.i`ll have a frog tied on at least one rod pretty much once the water temp hits 60

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:02 pm

what tourny on ft meadow,who what when i need to fish that

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:05 pm

wiredtofish

what tourny on ft meadow,who what when i need to fish that

If your talking about Long Pond Sturbridge you need to find the post labeled such, Ill message you

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:45 am

i noticed the live target bodies are much softer than the spro bronzeye's. probably easier for bass to crush those down. i like how the bronzeye's are bigger, but the profile of the live target frogs are cool.

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:05 pm

americanspirit

i noticed the live target bodies are much softer than the spro bronzeye's. probably easier for bass to crush those down. i like how the bronzeye's are bigger, but the profile of the live target frogs are cool.

Check these out...
http://evolvebaits.com/

They make hard body frogs with exposed weedless hooks, they work great, very rarely does a bass escape, even when they short strike they hit the hooks hanging off the back.

If you decide to order you can use my discount code EVO456 at cash out for 10-15% off your purchase

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:13 pm

I use top water frogs sparingly, but when I do throw them, I throw a black & red Spro with Strike King trailer hooks. May have lost 1 or 2 hookups at most with this combination. Good luck!

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:14 pm

I use Spros too, but I don't add the trailer hooks because I never throw them in open water. I've heard of people catching this way, but it rarely ever happens to me. The couple times I tried the trailers on top of pads and cover, I ended up hooking vegetation and spooking everything around it.

Yeah, river bass for some reason hit harder and more frequently in general with every lure compared to pond or lake bass... In my opinion anyway.

I really like to find some pads off the shore, throw it onto the bank, and bring it into the water... Have had a lot of hookups that way. And counting to 1.5-2 is crucial before setting...

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:29 pm

pocketfisherman

I use top water frogs sparingly, but when I do throw them, I throw a black & red Spro with Strike King trailer hooks. May have lost 1 or 2 hookups at most with this combination. Good luck!

Are you the Most Interesting Man In the World?

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:31 pm

jjbagoose

pocketfisherman

^5 Laughing

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:19 pm

stratos1966

jjbagoose

pocketfisherman

^5 Laughing

Stay Froggy My Friends...

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:21 pm

sinista

stratos1966

jjbagoose

pocketfisherman

^5 Laughing

Stay Froggy My Friends...

I wish I would have thought of that Razz

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:48 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links