I was going to try and work something like that in, but figured I'd let my fellow MAFF'ers finish it off. You guys did not disappoint!!! Very Happy

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:13 pm

I had a 4lbs+ fish inhale my frog today, I saw the whole thing happen. As i paused it, he came out of nowhere and literally just sucked it in, didn't explode or even make a ripple. He had the frog clear in his mouth, I set the hook and literally turn the fish towards the boat with the hook set and the hooks still didn't grab, ugh, disappointing Sad

Posted Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:54 pm

bend the hooks up a little so thier not buried so much in the back of the frog. Also, I think I wrote this in another thread, but remember to squeeze the water out every few casts. They fill with water which certainly effects the fishes ability to squeeze the frog and expose the hooks.

Posted Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:43 pm

be careful bending the hooks i`ve snapped a couple barbs off doing that,i throw the frog any time of the day at wacusett somedays the smallies just crush it you never know what they want.one day at the res there were whitecaps on the water it was already tied on so i threw it and fished like going for stripers big hard pops ,lotsa noise got 15 lm sm mix in 20 casts never know what will work

Posted Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:20 pm

I ended up throwing the frog for most of today on the Charles on the Newton/Needham stretch. And I had horrible hook up ratio. Probably about 2 out of 12 blow ups. One of my problems was that I wasn't using braid. The mono was getting stuck around lilies, and some of my hook sets seemed they were at 90 degrees angles because the mono couldn't cut through lily leaves. I was also in a yak, which added to not having the best leverage.

But my two fish were a 4 and a 4.5, was really on some big fish today just couldn't get them in the boat. Here is the 4.

Posted Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:54 pm

You MUST use braid and a stout rod. A medium or even a medium heavy rod wont cut it. There are now so many technique specific rods being made. All the frog rods are heavy action. You really need to "cross their eyes" with the hokset. Make sure all slack is out of the line and really set HARD

Not to dissagree with anyone but I would not bend out any hooks. This is just going to cause the frog to get hung up more in the pads/weeds/cover and not dramatically improve hookups.
Therer are days when they crush the frog and others where they bump it or nudge it. If they are not commiting , try changing colors or size. Go up or down in size. Change retrieves if you are using a steady retrive, try some pauses. If you are crawling it along try POPING it harder. Sometimes the best thing to do it put the frog down and switch to soft plastics texas rigged with light weights but still on the braid. piptch them into the same place you put the frog. If the bass are not commiting to the frog they may commit to a bait not on the surface.

Posted Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:44 pm

You missed a few...That's frog fishing the Lilly's. Frustrating. Yes. But I bet it was still awesome. A nice bass slamming a frog thru the Lilly's is fun, even the misses sometimes.

As far as line, it's def braid. This is my 1st year throwing braid and I love it. As said, it will cut thru the vegetation. I actually cut my fingure once pulling out a nest. It was like a paper cut. I could have got an infection! Laughing

Posted Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:24 pm

It was one of the situations that I was fishing a part of the Charles I never fished before. With the overcast morning I was planning on throwing Yellow Magic's and Buzzjets (love those Japanese topwaters), only to get out there and find nothing but lilies and muck. I'll be ready for them next time.

Posted Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:55 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links