So i've been thinking about getting into fishing out of a kayak. I'm just wondering how hard it it if it is at all. And what kind should i be looking to get and how much are they. I'm about 5 foot 5 and i weigh about 140 so i shouldnt need a big one.
They just look easy cause you can get into spots some boats cant at all.

Posted Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:46 pm

It's not hard at all but try renting one first to see if you like it and get used before buying. They well angler ready kayaks with rod holders and all. I personally like sit on top instea of the sit in variety but for quality kayak you can expect to pay 400-550. It's not that hard to get used to, little awkward a first bringing in a fish, especially pickerel

Posted Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:11 pm

Ok. Thanks how much do you think it would cost to rent one for the day?

Posted Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:49 pm

Not bad all never have before I have family that owns them. Try newton, they have a place on the Charles shouldn't be bad for the day

Posted Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:51 pm

Alright.. Newton is kind of a haul for me though im west of Worcester so thats a bit of a drive. I'm sure there is a place around here that would let me rent one
Thanks I appreciate it.

Posted Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:57 pm

I think a place in Framingham does too on lake cotichuate

Posted Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:08 pm

Alright I will deffinitly look into that, Thanks man

Posted Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:18 pm

A lot depends on the type of fishing you will be doing. If you are going to fish mostly fresh a 9.5/10 ft. sit in will work fine. If you plan on fishing the salt you will need a bigger yak and preferably a sit on top (sot). Don't fall for the "angler models" you will pay quite a bit more for the add ons. Rod holders are quite easy to install yourself. You can get a 9.5 ft. sit in at Dick's, Job Lot or Bananas Army/Navy for a reasonable price $300-$400. Also check the fishing sites, classifieds and Craigs list for used, sometimes a good deal will pop up Exclamation

Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:54 pm

Alright. I will be fishing Freshwater with it. i just need to get up some cash and i can get one. another quick question do i need to register it like a regular boat or no?

Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:02 pm

As long as the only motor you have is your arms and a paddle you do not have to register it.

Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:08 pm

Alright. Thanks!

Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:09 pm

I run a Manatee Deluxe from LL Bean. I think its about 9', has 2 rod holders behind the seat, one up from that is moveable, and lots of storage. When I fish in the kayak I try to travel light, but there is still plenty of room in this, and it has a nice open hole, so you can stretch your legs pretty well. I've fished full days in it, getting out for just a quick leg stretch and to take a leak. It's pretty comfy.

No need to register it, and you can put it anywhere you can walk to!

Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:13 pm

It sounds awesome. I'm really trying to look into it.

Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:17 pm

don51

Don't fall for the "angler models" you will pay quite a bit more for the add ons. Rod holders are quite easy to install yourself.

They are easy to install yourself, but if you don't have the proper tools, or you don't feel like taking the few extra steps, they are a decent investment. I never even thought of it until after I already bought it, but the add ons were under 100$, and it came with 3 rod holders, and anchor and some cleats. Also the model I have is 'sand' , which only comes in the angler edition. Not that its a big deal, but I feel like its less offensive than the other neon red/orange.

Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:19 am

my 1st 3 years i used an Old Town Otter 9.5 ft sitin and set it up for fishing (adding rod holders,storage packs and paddle keepers) i loved it and it worked great.Then over the winter i went to BassPro and saw the Ascend Kayaks.I bought myself the FS10 about a month ago,its rigged for fishing and its the balls,so much extra room,so comfortable,i would recomend this kayak to anyone who wants to fish.Its $500 but its worth every penny.If you dont want to spend that much Look for used kayaks a lot of the places that rent them sell them also,and you can easily rig any yak for fishing,hope you get 1 and enjoy it as much as i do:-)

Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:21 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links