The Manatee Deluxe looks like a nice boat. For the same price ($399) I would also recommend looking at the Ascend D10 from BassPro. I chose this boat because of the large open area behind the seat (no hatches) and very spacious cockpit. It also has a VERY comfy seat and a built-in tool tray.

The open design allows me to put my fishing crate behind me. The crate contains my anchor, my drift chute and 6 pvc rod holders, two of which are angled forward and out to the sides for trolling (think RAM tubes but in a fixed position). This leaves the footwell for my small tackle box and sundry items.

I keep all my gear stowed in the crate so when I'm ready to fish I just load up the kayak and crate (plus rods, paddle, PFD and cart) and I'm off. It's quick and simple.

BassPro also sells an Ascend A10 that is $100 cheaper than the D10 - it doesn't have installed foot pegs and the seat isn't quite as comfy - otherwise it's the same boat. I think the foot pegs are really important so I didn't mind paying the extra and the D10 has been quite good.

I'll post photos one day soon.

Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:21 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links