i think we all know that jigs mostly work only when thrown into structure. with that said do you guys feel that jigs are better used from a boat?

not sure if the direction of presentation has an impact on effectiveness (casting towards shore vs. casting off shore into structure).

does anyone toss football jigs from shore and drag em over rocks?

what about tossing them from shore at downed logs/ pads/ reeds?

Posted Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:22 pm

Yes to all the above.
The one thing about a boat is if desired you can go in and try and retrieve if hung up.
Some people would rather snap off than disturb the area. Not me! I'm cheap i want my lure back! Very Happy

Posted Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:49 pm

One thing I LOVE todo with a jig in the summer time, especially when the sun is high overhead is to use it like a frog over pads. I cast as far into the pad field as I can and engage the reel even before the jig hits. I keep it moving by constantly reeling as a medium pace and jiggling the rod tip to help it pop and jump from pad to pad. Sometimes the fish explode and eat it , somtimes they show themselves with a boil and miss. This is usually when I drag the jig to the next available "opening" and let it drop through. 8 out of 10 times the bass is there and sucks it in. Braid is a MUST for this type of fishing.

Posted Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:54 pm

jwall046

Yes to all the above.
The one thing about a boat is if desired you can go in and try and retrieve if hung up.
Some people would rather snap off than disturb the area. Not me! I'm cheap i want my lure back! Very Happy

Ditto, same here. I'm getting my lure back. The fish will go back to the spot soon enough.

Posted Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:50 pm

stratos1966

One thing I LOVE todo with a jig in the summer time, especially when the sun is high overhead is to use it like a frog over pads. I cast as far into the pad field as I can and engage the reel even before the jig hits. I keep it moving by constantly reeling as a medium pace and jiggling the rod tip to help it pop and jump from pad to pad. Sometimes the fish explode and eat it , somtimes they show themselves with a boil and miss. This is usually when I drag the jig to the next available "opening" and let it drop through. 8 out of 10 times the bass is there and sucks it in. Braid is a MUST for this type of fishing.

Also ditto, do the same and LOVE the jig!

Posted Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:50 pm

stratos1966

probably a 1/4 oz. brush jig?

Posted Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:31 pm

americanspirit

stratos1966

probably a 1/4 oz. brush jig?

Yes but 3/8th will work as well.

Posted Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:46 pm

I like using a 3/8 oz. northstar flipping jig with a strike king rage tail craw as the trailer and just swim it back to me. But if I see them following i just flip it out to them and work it slow on the bottom and I will usually cathch them. But remeber BLACK AND BLUE with an black and blue rage craw. When it gets caught up in the weed just snap it out and keep reeling at the same pace.

Posted Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:01 am

was out today and got some hits dragging the jig back. broke off twice. i assume it was pickeral. i was tying 30# braid direct to the jig. both fish seemed to inhale the jig then when i set the hook the line broke.

Posted Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:00 am

americanspirit

was out today and got some hits dragging the jig back. broke off twice. i assume it was pickeral. i was tying 30# braid direct to the jig. both fish seemed to inhale the jig then when i set the hook the line broke.

Yup sounds like a dreaded pickeral bite.

Posted Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:48 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links