so i caught this beast today at Whitmans Pond in Weymouth but of course I didn't have my scale with me. I wanted to see what you guys thought for a weight. My best guess was around 6 lbs. It was just over 21 inches. I wish I had measured the girth.

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:33 pm

Sorry bud, it looks to me a 4 pound bass. Very unlikely hitting 5 pound. Post spawn bass is not fat. After I carried my digital scale every fishing trip, I realized how hard to hit the 5 pound mark.

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:51 pm

thats what i was thinking too about it being after the spawn but i caught a 5.8 last year and i swear this one was bigger. actually, i have a picture of that one too. i dunno why i didn't just compare the two

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:54 pm

looks high 4 to 5 to me

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:38 pm

It's hard to tell from that picture.Your guess is as good as any.It is a nice fish anyway.Haven't been there in a while,I did get a 7.1 out of there though.

Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:48 am

4 - 5 - 6 who cares nice looking fish I bet it put up one hell of a fight.

Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:25 am

It's a good sized fish. because of the way you are holding it, close to your body and not held out away from you, and the fact that it still looks big..... It looks all of 5 to me and could be approaching 6. Hard to say though without a "gut shot". With bass ove 20" its all about the girth!!!

Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:59 am

Nice fish if 21" prob a 5lb or more as the fish looks healthy.

Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:41 am

I think that everyone is just used to seeing people hold the bass way out in front of them in an attempt to make the fish look bigger than it is lol. That's easily over 5.

Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:44 pm

Looks 5 to me. Great looking fish no matter what. Some times you need to hold the fish out front to get your face in the pic... but i does make the fish look like a monster Smile

Posted Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:03 am

first, look at his elbow and shoulder angle, I don't think he was extending his arm toward the camera all that much.

I think the real key from guesstimating a fish is looking at the head. Once the first start getting over the 4lb mark, they seem to start getting a much broader height on their head. Maybe i'm not explaining myself great here but guys who routinely catch 3lb plus fish know what I mean.

From looking at the picture, I would question just at the 5lb mark.

Posted Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:52 pm

Beautiful fish now matter the actual weight, but I'd guess high 4's, almost 5 (within 1 or 2oz). We can go back and fourth, back and fourth, but nobody will ever know what that fish weighed at that particular moment on that particular day.

Posted Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:34 pm

MY GUESS WOULD BE ABOUT 4 1/2LBS

Posted Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:08 pm

+1 on the comment about the weight of fish over 20 inch long girth is everything, that hog looks like it hasn't missed to many meals! Not that anyone wants to hear the story AGAIN but 9.4 was only 22 inches long.VERY NICE FISH!

Posted Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:19 pm

9.4LB LOL I COULD HEAR THAT ONE EVERYDAY, YOU MADE IT LEGENDARY

Posted Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:33 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links