To follow up on my previous comment on one of the threads about keeping bass alive during a tournament and for years beyond, I emailed bassmaster about a book they advertised. Its free and can be downloaded as a pdf (and its really not a book, only 7 pages). It has some great info and I hope everyone that fishes in MAFF tourneys (or any tournament) takes a moment for a review. Here is the link.

http://www.bassmaster.com/tips/keeping-bass-alive

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:18 pm

you are the man for posting this, alot of it is common sense for some while others are still learning to appreciate the species.

thank you very much.

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:24 pm

This is a must read for everyone on here great info!!!!!!!

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:08 pm

Fish care Exclamation Laughing That's one of the reasons I hate pro tourney fishing Exclamation The way those guys handle the fish is disgusting Exclamation There was talk not too long ago about having an official take pictures and document the fish after it was caught so it could be released right away. That probably isn't going to happen Exclamation

Posted Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:05 am

The major league fishing thing that started this year does the documentation and release however the number of boats in each round is only about 8. I agree with you, it will probably never happen.

At this years Bassmaster Classic, I'm pretty sure that 6 lber Chris Lane caught on the final day had a broken jaw, either from his antics in the boat or the way he lifted it up during the weigh in. Its funny how the fish care article talks about not boat flipping them but that is pretty much a norm on the elite series. I know the FLW keeps track of kill rates from their tournaments and posts the results. But on the other side, a lot of the pro tourneys are in the south where fish replenish at a much faster rate. Here in MA, we have to work to preserve our resource.

Posted Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:33 am

I really like the MLF format. I watched the whole series and it was great to see a fish weighed and released right away. I like that you are not stuck on 5 fish. It's total weight in 8 hours. Catch 100 if you can. I also love the finals rounds where it is the 1st guy to 30lbs who wins. Could take 2 hours , could take 8 hours. This format changes the age old stratagy of tourney bass fishing.
One of the draws of bass fishing tournaments are the weigh ins. Fans show up by the 100's sometimes 1000's depending on the size of the event , to watch these guys bring their catch to the scales and it is an important part of growing the sport.

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:27 am

I personally love they way the skeeter bass champs tour does it but the best fish of the hour and do hourly prizes and one overall. I feel this way fish come in, weigh, then released but it also leads to people keeping one fish all day to wait for there shot at first place depending on the weights for the hour.

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:24 pm

I love watching the Skeeter tourneys! Awarding hourly prizes are cool when you have a tourney that size and with the sponsors they have.

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:24 pm

Ya i love the setup the fact that your next cast could be the winning fish makes it interesting.

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:27 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links