So i recently took my dad fishing to a pond near my house that has smallmouth. I have never caught a smallie btw so being it was are first time we did not know what to except, but the results were great and we ended up each catching over 10 plus smallies each. Nothing was over 3 except the first 20 cast or so i hooked into a really nice fish that jumped several times and ended spitting the hook. So point being i am hooked on smallies now! I love how much harder they will fight and they just wont give up untill you manage to lip em or use a net. They can throw the hook alot easier so it can be a real challenge. I always heard they were a blast, but never knew how tuff they really are. So i was wondering if anyone on the site who goes after smallies could answer any of these questions?

1. After they are done with the spawn should i ever expect them to be shallow?

2. Are they schooled up for the most part, or do they spread about depending on season/weather etc...

3. What kind of cover and structure do they like (Besides rocks and random submerged cover)

Also would like to know if anyone has trouble with certain lures and getting smallies to take the hook...(Spinners, Jigs, etc....) Because i lost atleast 5 or so fish due to them not grabing the hook.

I know you can use some of the tactics for regualr largemouths, but i figured i'd ask.

I appreciate any answers. Thanks!

Posted Wed May 16, 2012 12:18 pm

Immediate post spwn they will still be shallow, well mostly the males will. They can be had on top water on calm days and spinnerbaits BURNED on windy days. Slug gos and superflukes work well too with an eratic action near the surface. They will all eventually move deep as we move through June and by the end of June most smallies will only be shallow in the morning and at night or on overcast , rainy days sometimes. They can school up so if you catch one in an area.... slow down and keep fishing that area. Bigger fish tend to be loners and will get the prime spot on a structure and own it.
For deep water smallies look for long extended points that drop off quick at the end. Off shore humps are a good bet also. The edge of a feeding flat will hold themas well. Feeding flats are large shallow areas adjacient to deep water that have cover/bait on them that fish can move up and down on to feed.
I like to use my eletronics when smallies are deep and actually see them on my screen then drop shot a small bait in their face or a spiderjig on a 1/4 oz head. They cannot resist most days. Natural colors like greens, and browns work best but sometimes a bit of Chartruse gets them going good. If you want to covr lots of water you can blind cast a carolina rig with the same baits but PLEASE crush the barb of your hook. Because of the way the bait is presented on a Carolina rig, it has a tendency to "GUT HOOK" a lot of fish. The fish will pick up your bait and swim toward you or offto the side and you don't feel it until they have swallowed your bait. The crushed barb helps to avoid a bleeding fish since the hook will come out easier. I have found that if you keep a constant pressureon the fish the hook stays put until you remove it so no fear of losing a fish with the crushed barb. It is the only way I will fish a Carolina rig.

Posted Wed May 16, 2012 1:08 pm

You cant get any better information than that!!!
Rich has helped me with info on many occasions and more often he is right than wrong. Ok, never wrong,maybe that technique didn't work that well that day ect. Cool

I just fished for smallies in Maine (see trip). Rich also told me about crushing the barb. He is correct if you keep pressure on them it helps alot!
Barbless hooks offer a great catch release ratio

Posted Wed May 16, 2012 1:27 pm

Yeah, I'm a big believer in crimping down the barb when fishing plastic baits. Yes, you will lose a few fish if they are allowed to jump but if you keep the pressure on you will land most fish and it makes hook removal quite simple Exclamation

Posted Wed May 16, 2012 7:16 pm

Thanks alot for the info. As much as soft bait is nice i tend to stay away. I rather not go fishing then gut hook fish especially a big fish. Im going to be checkin out some big ponds around me with smallies. I really wana hook a nice smallie!

Posted Wed May 16, 2012 7:19 pm

Great info Stratos!

Posted Sat May 19, 2012 5:36 pm

I just started using senkos to fish but I feel like I am going through too many of them. it seems I only can catch 4 or 5 bass before the bait starts really getting torn up any suggestions? are usually fish carolina rigged sometimes seedless. will definitely start crimping the barb because I don't seem to have any problems hooking well

Posted Sat May 19, 2012 6:44 pm

k_emmons

I just started using senkos to fish but I feel like I am going through too many of them. it seems I only can catch 4 or 5 bass before the bait starts really getting torn up any suggestions? are usually fish carolina rigged sometimes seedless. will definitely start crimping the barb because I don't seem to have any problems hooking well

The ones that get torn up save for later use for wacky rigging. And when wacky rigging get a o-ring tool and put o rings on your bait. It will pay for itself. Also, most people put the hook through the thicker end of the senko, if that end gets torn up don't be afraid to use the skinner end. Z-man ElaZtech line of soft baits are super durable.

Posted Sat May 19, 2012 7:02 pm

Thanks for the info should have thought of that stuff myself before I threw senko's away that could have been reused doh!

Posted Sat May 19, 2012 8:25 pm

i believe most of the soft plastic bates can be remelted.make a mold with plaster of paris and remelt it. you tube has lots of info.

Posted Tue May 29, 2012 6:45 pm

I have been re-melting my plastics this whole season so far and I have been trying all different brands and haven't came across any that you can't re-melt. The only thing is the scented baits kind of stink up the joint so be sure to do it in a well ventilated area

Posted Tue May 29, 2012 10:21 pm

just keep a lighter handy and when they split melt them back together and immediately cool off.

The O rings do help alot

Posted Tue May 29, 2012 10:58 pm

Great info! I should write this stuff down

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:42 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links