Bought a bass boat the only thing i noticed is because of enthonal my engine needs a tune up its a 2006 9.9 yamaha is it easy to tune up as far as getting moisture out .Fish on

Posted Fri May 18, 2012 9:01 pm

The problem with the ethonal in your situation is the alcohol in the ethanol acts as a cleaning agent which breaks down your rubber fuel lines and clogs the jets in the carb. The ethanol also causes seperation in the fuel tank and that is.were you will see problems with moisture amd such, but if the motor runs of a remote tank ethanol And moisture will not be a problem. The problem will be the gas left in carb, which over time turns into varnish coating the carb bowl and clogging the jets so bad the motor might not even start.

Posted Sat May 19, 2012 7:52 pm

Use startron or sea foam. I use sea foamnon everything that uses gas especially if i might not burn a tank in 30 days. New gas doesnt have a long shelflife. I run a 1990 200hp johnson on today's pump gas and sea foam. No issues. My ice auger is filled with sea foam everytime and it starts every season no problems again.
I am not a fan of having all my gas engines tuned every season. I been using seafoam for years and it's proven itself over & over again.
Good stuff

Posted Sat May 19, 2012 8:33 pm

Seafoam's great stuff, also squirting some mystery oil in the fuel line to the carb & let it sit overnight works too. But from my Experience the carbs Usually have to cone apart, which really isn't as scary as it sounds. Buy a rebuild kit & blow out every litle hole with compressed Air. Get a good shop manual if u decide to tackle it yourself. Ethanol starts to gel after 60 days they say.

Posted Sat May 19, 2012 8:55 pm

Shelf life on gas without stabilizer is about 40 days.

I just went through the same issue with a 3hp Johnson. Gas had been in there for several years.

Removed the tank and washed it with water. Replaced all rubber fuel lines. Took carb apart and cleaned it out. Pay close attention to the jets. Mine was clogged solid and needed to get reamed. However if your motor already starts then you know you aren’t totally clogged. If the motor doesn’t run, give it a sniff of ether, if she fires and runs for a second on ether and then dies then you know your issue is fuel. If she don’t start with ether, your problem is somewhere else.

Posted Mon May 21, 2012 10:30 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links