Can anybody recommend a solar charger for a trolling motor battery?

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 10:05 am

Google or cabelas/Bass pro shops has them.
This will not supply you with enough charge during the use (i do not believe). if you want it for charging while not in use it will be decent.
If looking for more longevity try and wire two 12 volt battery in line. Not 24 volt but you can wire in line to get 2/12 volts battery's on one motor. See online (helpful). Size of your battery's is important too.

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 10:17 am

jwall046

Google or cabelas/Bass pro shops has them.
This will not supply you with enough charge during the use (i do not believe). if you want it for charging while not in use it will be decent.
If looking for more longevity try and wire two 12 volt battery in line. Not 24 volt but you can wire in line to get 2/12 volts battery's on one motor. See online (helpful). Size of your battery's is important too.

If you wire the two batteries in line, they will be in series, which would be 24V. You have to wire them in parallel to remain at 12V. But definitely a good idea. Has anybody tried this? Is it better to run two batteries in parallel or drain one then hook up a second?

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 10:21 am

Probably no difference other than time away from fishing.. hahah
Why not hook up and fish all day hassle free Cool

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 10:48 am

I'll give you 139 reasons why I can't get a second battery lol

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 10:50 am

ok? Smile
oh? you mean expensive? lol. yes, they are! Sux
How far away from Worcester you live? I have 1 or 2 deep cycle batteries i can part with cheap.

If you don't have space maybe a larger size battery could win ya some more time on the water. I'm a electricity hoarder. I have 24 volt system but hate to run em. I never run out but i still find myself working with the wind and use trolling motor just to position less frequently Or i use a wind sock or just pick a less windy day. lol

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 10:56 am

I live in Weymouth. I just need to learn to manage my power, I guess.

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 11:20 am

If I'm out all day I take two full batteries. I haven't thought about hooking them together cuz I'll probably blow up my boat. Unless there are windy conditions or I travel a long way I usually only use one or don't have to switch until late in the day

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 11:23 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links