When I catch bass, I lip them (careful not to strain their jaw) but with Picks and trout, pikes and others, what's the proper way to hold them?

Posted Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:37 am

bcodkind

When I catch bass, I lip them (careful not to strain their jaw) but with Picks and trout, pikes and others, what's the proper way to hold them?

Very Carefully! lmao, but for real you can grab them under the gill plate being carefull not to a) not damage there gills and b) not sticking your fingers in to far and getting them bitten off

Or just cradle them one hand under the gills other hand on their belly

I handle Pics and Pikes with long needle nose pliers, they never leave the water, they slime up every thing and they stink!!

Posted Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:03 am

I've never held a fish under the gill plate. I've actually heard you can cut yourself pretty badly on their gills. Is that true?

Posted Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:15 am

I think it depends on how far you stick your hands in, also some fish have very sharp gill plates or spines on there gill plates like Perch do

Posted Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:25 am

Smallys sort of fall asleep if you hold under their belly. Never tried to see for how long.
Large mouth i lip but be careful as their weight can break the jaw.
Pike,just grab under the gill if you cant hold over the back.Sure they can cut you. See the blood in the pic? That's not the fishes blood Very Happy
Very Happy
horn pout- cut the line! lmao
been stuck once and it burns like a bastard. So the once every 3 years i catch one i use an alternative method.lol

Posted Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:43 pm

I hear you loud and clear! Grow some balls and grab it by the gills. Got it.

Posted Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:58 pm

I hate the thieving bastids (pickerel) Exclamation I always hope that they shake off before I have to handle them. But, when forced to land them I will grab them from the top just behind the gills. I have a pair of fish grabbers but the picks just don't cooperate and it is easier to grab them by hand Exclamation

Posted Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:52 pm

We have some big Picks in Monponsett, and they can give a great fight, but I hate 'em. When I was first learning to fish, I lipped one and quickly learned about thier large, sharp teeth. I now own a pair of fish grabbers that I keep on the boat for those nasty slime rockets! I pulled this one oput earlier this week fishing from the dock.

Posted Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:47 pm

not sure who was biting who, but my dog holds them like this....

Posted Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:28 pm

I like using the lip grips pictured above as well. I'm a huge supporter of CPR so if im not keeping the fish I try to handle the fish as little as possible. Touching the fish with dry hands will take a slime coat off the fish which could lead to an infection.

My lip grips are like $80 because they have a built in scale (not sure how accurate it is) but you can find cheaper ones that do a great job as well.

Depending on the type of fish I'll just lip them but obviously you can't do that if he's got a set of teeth...

Posted Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:28 pm

kman

Haha, forgot about that picture...That fish actually did swim back down the hole!

Posted Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:37 am

i pray that the the pics jump off my hook before it gets on the boat. if it does get in the boat i put my foot on it (not stomping it) and get the hook out and push it off the boat. i hate those smelly green snakes

Posted Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:47 pm

kman

great picture!!!! love springers

Posted Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:40 pm

I hate pickerel too, especially if you catch them on a treble hook, it can be a real nightmare extracting that thing if it's deep in his mouth or throat. I keep a pair of gloves with me for handling them, you can hold them by the lip and often they'll open right up like bass. Don't feel the teeth at all if they try to chomp you. Then I just wipe the slime off the gloves on the ground or in the water.

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:25 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links