Does anyone think the LM bass record will be broken. Im truly surprised that it still hasen't, 1975 was quite sometime ago. I would of loved to see a picture of that bass...

Posted Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:07 pm

in mass? the world? which record are you talking about?

Posted Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:27 pm

sorry about that, i just took the 2 seconds to look it up.

i hope someone breaks it, definitly overdue for one

Posted Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:30 pm

Oops i was talking about MA....Theres so much fishing you can do in MA i just can belive it still hasen't been beat. If we had some more south-like weather year round, pulling out a 15lb bass in mass would actually happend now and again...But then everything would be all screwed up lol

Posted Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:43 pm

I'll take a stab at both records. The world record will definitely will be broken. It already has. Dotty was 25.1, she was just fowl hooked. It will come out of southern California. There is a cult of people trying to break the record. Listening to guys like Mike Long and Joe Everett speak about not even throwing at a bass unless she is 15lbs is crazy, but thats how they fish. Big Girl season is almost over out there, doesn't look like the record is coming this season.

Dont think the record will come out of Mexico, its too tough for a bass to avoid commercial fishing nets to live long enough.

I dont think the Mass record will ever be broken. The 15lbs always sounded a little fishy. That is a big northern strain largemouth, they just dont ever get that big. In 1975 there was no such thing as F1 stockings. 15lbs is rediculous. There is not that many states that have their record higher than Mass 15.8.

I do think its possible to grow a 15 if you had your own private pond. Its what I would have done if I won the Mega Millions last week.

Posted Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:49 pm

There are pictures of the Mass Bass. It was def 15 lbs. It is doubted that it came from Sampson. Gold pin fish every few years have been 11 lbs. I cant see why somewhere there is not another 15, maybe quabbin or somewhere like it. I personally think a few exist just maybe they will never be caught. I am sure some have lived and died as well.

Posted Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:08 pm

Dotty was a big fish....but dead now. I was fortunate enough to fish the Lake she was caught at....Lake Dixon. The water is so amazingly clear there with HUGE bass all over....it's unreal being able to actually look in the water and see them.

Recently a world record sized bass was caught in Japan...actually they catch a lot of world record sized bass over there. There's some rule with the IFGA though that fish under 25 pounds have to beat the previous record by a certain amount for it to count. Correct me if I'm wrong, but i believe that fish didn't "count" because it was caught on a live bluegill which was released back into the lake. Using live bait is okay but in that particular body of water its illegal to release live bait back into the water. It sounds weird but im pretty sure thats what i read....ill look it up to be sure.

As far as the Mass record....im positive that there are bigger bass out there. Not by much...but there are definitely more 15 pounders swimming around somewhere.

Posted Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:35 pm

Dotty was a big fish....but dead now. I was fortunate enough to fish the Lake she was caught at....Lake Dixon. The water is so amazingly clear there with HUGE bass all over....it's unreal being able to actually look in the water and see them.

Recently a world record sized bass was caught in Japan...actually they catch a lot of world record sized bass over there. There's some rule with the IFGA though that fish under 25 pounds have to beat the previous record by a certain amount for it to count. Correct me if I'm wrong, but i believe that fish didn't "count" because it was caught on a live bluegill which was released back into the lake. Using live bait is okay but in that particular body of water its illegal to release live bait back into the water. It sounds weird but im pretty sure thats what i read....ill look it up to be sure.

As far as the Mass record....im positive that there are bigger bass out there. Not by much...but there are definitely more 15 pounders swimming around somewhere.

Posted Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:36 pm

If they did the testing and verification on the fish back then that they do today that record would never stand Exclamation I don't believe that the MA record is legit. Nothing has come even close since then Exclamation A ten is a very rare bass, nevermind a 15 Exclamation The record needs to be tossed out Exclamation Laughing

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:32 am

There is a rumor that the record MA LMB was brought from Florida. I don't believe we have 15LB LMB in the state's public water system. It is very hard to have this size even in restricted water simply the gene is not there. My understanding is a lake(river) system must consistently produce 7/8 pounder to have a possible lunker 15 pound. In general, two times the above average weight is a lunker in a particular place.

Now, the smallie record 8.2 can be broken easily if they allow boat in the Chu. There is no doubt in my mind that there are 8 pounder smallie swim in the Chu. I have caught (and seen someone else caught), plenty of 4s, a few 5s there. It is a shame there is no picture and length measurement of that 8.2 smallie caught by Barbara in 80s. We don't know what method she caught it. My guess is live bait.

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:02 am

where can I read about it being brought up from Florida ?

9 and 10 pound bass are caught every year and those are just the reported ones. There is a member on this forum with two 9 lb + bass and of course Mike last year caught the gold pin bass in Ma at 9.4.

The Maine State record is over 11 lbs, I suppose that was shipped up from Florida as well?

Of course a state record is a rare bass. The Mass bass was supposedly taken thru the ice. If a bass can grow to 10 11 pounds, it certainly if caught after gorging with 4 lbs of food in winter, can reach 15. yes rare, not common, it only had to happen once for the record.

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:30 am

I said it is a rumor so it won't be on the internet . It is a story so don't need to take it seriously. If every fact is the truth, then this MA record LMB is the largest northern strain bass ever caught on the book. It might exist once in Sampson pond but it does not mean it still exist today, especially on public water. 10s VS 15s, there is a big difference. Someone I know caught a lair length smallie at Chu Res. It was almost 24 inch long but it was a skinny one. It was just over 5 pound. If it was a fat one, it might push the 8 pound mark.

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:42 am

I'm not saying there are current fish that size. It's more likely that fish was caught here than it being a conspiracy theory brought up from Florida. It is on record many times of 11 pound bass being caught here, it is not far fetched to think of a freak bass 4 lbs heavier.

The State casts doubt it was actually caught at Sampsons pond, It supposedly came from a nearby off limits body of water.

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:11 am

I concur with most that the state record is a hoax, the internet has been buzzing for years about it being a hoax. I seen pictures of the alleged 15lber before, can't seem to find them anymore. But from what I could remember it looked like the photo was in someones garage. It looked big, but how big is tough to tell.

Delware state record was just broken and all that took was a 10.10. And Delware is a lot better bass factory than Mass is. The only way the Mass record will be broken is if someone grows their pet bass to that size, and it won't be a Northern strain either. They just simply don't get that big.

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:12 am

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:16 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links