i think this thread already went out. but just trying to get a feel for what kind of combos you guys throw for jigs. size, color, pork trailer, creature bait trailer, scent, no scent. just curious. can't wait to try some of bang bang's stuff out this year and experimenting with other combos.

and.... any rod recs for jigin. looking to upgrade this season.
thanks

Posted Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:54 pm

you inspired me to search the jig n pig threads.

Posted Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:36 pm

I'll use this method of fishing thru april.I use black 1/2 oz jigs with purple or blue Uncle Josh pork jumbo pork frog.I also was using brown 1/2 oz jigs with Uncle Josh frog pattern and was successful.I use them in ponds with rock or a sandy bottom.

Posted Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:16 pm

I'll use this method of fishing thru april.I use black 1/2 oz jigs with purple or blue Uncle Josh pork jumbo pork frog.I also was using brown 1/2 oz jigs with Uncle Josh frog pattern and was successful.I use them in ponds with rock or a sandy bottom.

Posted Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:21 pm

americanspirit

i think this thread already went out. but just trying to get a feel for what kind of combos you guys throw for jigs. size, color, pork trailer, creature bait trailer, scent, no scent. just curious. can't wait to try some of bang bang's stuff out this year and experimenting with other combos.

thanks

I use a 1/4 black jig with black #11pork in the spring and right up until spawn. Post spawn I bump up to 3/8oz. in the same color combo. Once and a while in clearer water I throw black /brown/watermelon with the same #11 black pork.
My jig rod is a Shimano Cumara 6'8" medium heavy fast and the reel is a 7:1 shimano curado. I use this combo for flipping and pitching. If I am staying back and skipping jigs, I use spinning gear, a 6'6" Falcon heavy spinning rod with a shimano symetre. My baitcaster is spooled with 50lb braid, my spinning rod 30lb braid.

I NEVER leave home without my jig rod. I throw it from March through November

Posted Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:01 pm

Well gentlemen there you have it, the great Stratos has spoken, and I say that with the up most respect, if there was ever a guy I would listen to, he is that guy, I can only hope one day to be the angler he is, you rock Rich!

Posted Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:13 pm

sinista

Well gentlemen there you have it, the great Stratos has spoken, and I say that with the up most respect, if there was ever a guy I would listen to, he is that guy, I can only hope one day to be the angler he is, you rock Rich!

Wat he said

Posted Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:22 am

i always have a jig tied on anytime im on the water, i fish it 80% of the time the other 20% is trying out other lures and techniques but i jig year round, im a fan of the craw trailer i have alot of success with it. and alot of the time the big ones with bite them. The jig is how me and gary got 1st at manchaug last year, and yes neil if i was there right now youd know where id be!! Sandbar!

Posted Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:54 pm

stratos1966

americanspirit

thanks

I use a 1/4 black jig with black #11pork in the spring and right up until spawn. Post spawn I bump up to 3/8oz. in the same color combo. Once and a while in clearer water I throw black /brown/watermelon with the same #11 black pork.
My jig rod is a Shimano Cumara 6'8" medium heavy fast and the reel is a 7:1 shimano curado. I use this combo for flipping and pitching. If I am staying back and skipping jigs, I use spinning gear, a 6'6" Falcon heavy spinning rod with a shimano symetre. My baitcaster is spooled with 50lb braid, my spinning rod 30lb braid.

I find most women skip jigs with a spinning rod....

Posted Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:33 pm

Any jig i throw now will be Boag Hog Baits "Lead free guilt free".

Posted Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:20 pm

chevin37

i always have a jig tied on anytime im on the water, i fish it 80% of the time the other 20% is trying out other lures and techniques but i jig year round, im a fan of the craw trailer i have alot of success with it. and alot of the time the big ones with bite them. The jig is how me and gary got 1st at manchaug last year, and yes neil if i was there right now youd know where id be!! Sandbar!

Too Funny! I think I can still see you on Google Earth posted up there!!!

Posted Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:23 pm

good stuff. thanks guys. seems like black jigs and black trailers seem to be the common rec on this site and talking with friends.

not looking to spent a lot on a rod so i may try the bass pro shops tourney select rod or the st. croix triumph as a medium-heavy jig rod.

Posted Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:28 pm

you guys re- paint your jig heads when they get chipped off from bouncing on the rocks? Idea

Posted Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:44 pm

americanspirit

you guys re- paint your jig heads when they get chipped off from bouncing on the rocks? Idea

Preferably yes or black sharpie to band aid until later.

Posted Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:09 pm

kmsnowman

stratos1966

americanspirit

thanks

I find most women skip jigs with a spinning rod....

Laughing Welcome to the site Ken!!!!

Posted Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:11 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links