My buddy is trying to figure out what he wants for a boat that he can car top. He's kind of a big guy. Some of you have seen him at tourney's with me. So he's looking at a 10 jon at BPS and it says
max weight 320 pounds
max person weight 280 pounds
He reads it as maximum is 320 and I read it as combine the two for 600. Anybody know which is right?

Posted Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:51 pm

Its max 320# persons & gear.

Posted Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:58 pm

fishingreek

Its max 320# persons & gear.

Thanks. that's not much is it? A one man boat I guess

Posted Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:00 pm

I know they rate the boats modestly to prevent any lawsuits but you still need to take it into account. My Dad has an old 11ft Jon Boat coded for 380lbs but that again is a modest rating. Napa and I have taken it out numerous times- 2 * 190 pounders, 2 batteries = another 100 lbs and gear/anchor = 50 more pounds (total around 550lbs). We have not had any issues thus far but definately need to use additional caution when manuvering. I would recommend between a 12-14 ft jon boat for him especially if he's a big guy and wants the ability to have company in the boat.

Posted Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:36 pm

angler21

I know they rate the boats modestly to prevent any lawsuits but you still need to take it into account. My Dad has an old 11ft Jon Boat coded for 380lbs but that again is a modest rating. Napa and I have taken it out numerous times- 2 * 190 pounders, 2 batteries = another 100 lbs and gear/anchor = 50 more pounds (total around 550lbs). We have not had any issues thus far but definately need to use additional caution when manuvering. I would recommend between a 12-14 ft jon boat for him especially if he's a big guy and wants the ability to have company in the boat.

Thanks Jeff that's what I was thinking too

Posted Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:12 pm

Roger and I have proved without a doubt, the boat weight limits are just suggestions. lol

Posted Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:51 pm

kman

Roger and I have proved without a doubt, the boat weight limits are just suggestions. lol

LMAO Kman I told him to get a pelican

Posted Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:58 pm

i beleive if you are over loaded per boat recomendations then a fish and game warden can site you a fine?
I know you cannot remove tags too.

Posted Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:18 pm

if hes going to buy new i would absolutely recommend a minimum 12 ft. youll have the 10ft and regret it after fishing once in it. the 2 feet make a huge difference.

Posted Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:58 pm

yeah tell the dunt man to go look at my trip called fat guy little boat, lol
ed has a pelican that me and him load up and i mean load up on and i'm fine on that thing for like 8 hours.

Posted Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:04 am

johnnybag-a-bass

yeah tell the dunt man to go look at my trip called fat guy little boat, lol
ed has a pelican that me and him load up and i mean load up on and i'm fine on that thing for like 8 hours.

LOL I copy and pasted Jeff's advice and that was enough.

Posted Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:04 am

kman

Pelican rocks in that department! The boat says it has a max 600 lb person limit and 600 plus with equipment. We come pretty close to those numbers every week and are probably getting a small 3 or 4 hp motor to help out in the big boat tourneys, pushing it even closer.

Can't go wrong with a Pelican!

Posted Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:52 pm

pelican rulez i have a 11 ft and i load it up with 3 peeps 15 hp and tons of gear + 2 batteries and 2 anchors a 12 pack and half a oz
never any probs

and also we have a deep diver and a recovery barge service that comes with beeing active on this site -

as prooven last year

Laughing

Posted Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:30 pm

half Oz, hahahahahah
love the honesty

Posted Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:32 pm

shawneramone

My buddy is trying to figure out what he wants for a boat that he can car top. He's kind of a big guy. Some of you have seen him at tourney's with me. So he's looking at a 10 jon at BPS and it says
max weight 320 pounds
max person weight 280 pounds
He reads it as maximum is 320 and I read it as combine the two for 600. Anybody know which is right?

http://www.trackerboats.com/boat/specs.cfm?boat=3417
Click the link, the 280 lbs in people weight, the 320 pounds is total for gear , people, tackle etc.

I have the 15ft LW I know the specs to be correct

Posted Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:22 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links