With such a light & easy winter up north, I'm looking to respool my reels already. I'm looking at what seems like more threads lately about people only stripping off roughly half of their line and using the rest as backing.

This makes tons of sense, because I can use a cheaper line as backing then spool the last 75-100yds with my prefered line.

Just a couple of questions: (Sorry for so many lately)

- What knot do you use to tie the lines together?
- Are their certain knots for different lines? Meaning if I'm using mono as backing, and braid as a main line, etc.
- What about tying lines of different diameters together? Problems?
- What do you use as a backing? Heavier test than normal etc?

Posted Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:43 am

the way I go through line between retying and being impatient and trying to fish the impossible......... I can't afford to use backing! Laughing

Posted Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:13 am

go to netknots.com it will tell you everything ya want to know. and they hav anamated vidio for tying all kinds of knots

Posted Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:35 am

Since you will never really ever get to the knot joining your 2 lines ( if you do you know its time to respool) the knots don't matter much. I just use 2 noose knots using 2 warps on each so the knots are compact. Just trim the tag end as close as possible.

Posted Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:51 pm

I use a uni to uni for joining line. Never had a problem. If it is a high capacity reel it makes sense to use the old line for backing. Especially if you are using braid. A low capacity reel, 100 or 120 yds I just fill the spool with fresh line.

Posted Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:55 pm

i started to use backing this year for the same exact reason and it worked out great. it is far more more efficient beacause you get to use all of the line on the spool. you also go through it much slower. so all in all one spool goes alot longer and you dont wase the 3/4 of the spool that is on your reel that you never get to. i used suffix siege mono for backing in 15 lb test. the quality i incredible and a 300 yard spool costs 7.99. also, by using backing, u r able to change to a different pound test quickly and eaily without wasting much line, if u ever desire to do so.

Posted Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:34 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links