How's the fishing here , I hear you can rent boats for the day , How can I get there and may be a good place to say for the weekend to fish with my son.

Posted Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:12 pm

The fishing is great there. Go to gate 31or 41 for some good bass fishing, or gate 8 for trout. Flaggs bait and tackle is near gate 31. He has great shinners and is pretty helpful with spots to fish. Gate 31 and 41 are right off 122 or you can take rt 2 west to exit 16 go right off the highway then flaggs is about a half mile on the left then 122 will be on your left about 2-3 miles after you get off the highway. You can rent a boat for the day you just need a driver and fishing licence. Last year it $46 dollars for the day. They open the gate at sunrise so get there early. And make sure you bring your rain gear and sunblock. For some reason weird weather happens out there. Good luck.

Posted Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:52 pm

That's by far my favorite place to fish in the world. It's beautiful, the boats are big and the motors are well maintained. I've never stayed overnight but had looked to do that last year. There are a couple of camgrounds and bed and breakfasts but no hotels or motels that I saw. They open at 6am and at the beginning of the season the line starts forming around 5. It's probably the hardest place I've ever fished. There's hardly any shoreline structure to speak of and the water is crystal clear. But the chance at a giant smallie and seeing an eagle or two keeps bringing me back. Good luck

Posted Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:10 pm

Town names so I can look for a place to stay? or even camp ground names that I could look into , (That sounds like it would more fun to camp out with tent)

Posted Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:27 pm

inkslinger

Town names so I can look for a place to stay? or even camp ground names that I could look into , (That sounds like it would more fun to camp out with tent)

I'm not from that area so I'm not sure how far things are or if they're any good. I'd suggest a little research.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=campgrounds+near+quabbin+reservoir&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Posted Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:30 am

Boag hog baits campground

Accommodations:
1. 2 man tent w/sleeping bag and pillow
2. fire pit with seating and wood!
3. lead free tackle on hand for purchase before hitting the best water in New England.

Just kidding (Not about buying lures,lol)

I like gate 43 myself
Hartman's herb farm is a bed and breakfast located within 15-20 minutes of multiple gates accesses.

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/recreate/camping.htm

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:36 am

Witch Gates holes the Boat Rentals?

Posted Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:00 am

The rental gates are "43" and "31" --- take route 9 to pleasant st in Belchertown pleasant street IS Greenwich rd and take a left onto HELL HUDDLE rd<----cool ass name if ya ask me follow hell huddle all the way til it's end GATE 43!...As for Gate 31 take---Route 32a(Belchertown) til it meets Route 122(you can also just take 122 out of worcester/rutland---take a left onto 122 and then another left onto Regulating Dam Rd( DCR has it's "Wash" station @ this gate)..."you" can bring "your" own boat onto the Mighty Q provided you pay to get a special wash -HOWEVER...they tag your boat to your trailer when you leave(your choice) of course and you will have to RE-WASH it if they find the seal broken when you return.As Shawn stated the rental boats are WELL WORTH the dough considering the wash is almost the same cost as renting one...my personal favorite is 43...as for "places to stay" I'd suggest Howe state park in Spencer/Sturbridge---leaves "you" about a 10-15 minutes from gate 43...AND quick access to the Quaboag River&Pond, East Brimfield Lake and MANY MANY other AWESOME fishing experiences I hope this helps you out and the coolest thing,I think anyways,is if ya get skunked,ya can justify it by taking some INSANE pictures of the wildlife(eagles,hawks,loons ect) and the surrounding awe inspiring beauty that is THE QUABBIN RESERVOIR ! I'd say good luck---but good skills are more useful---[/b]

Posted Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:38 am

this resavoir is great been fishing there since i was 10 i rent the boat 35 bucks for the day cant complain. probley going out there 4 times this year thats the plan at least lol. oh how those plans can change when the wife gets a little erked with me going fishing every night lol

Posted Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:47 pm

bassmasterrick

this resavoir is great been fishing there since i was 10 i rent the boat 35 bucks for the day cant complain. probley going out there 4 times this year thats the plan at least lol. oh how those plans can change when the wife gets a little erked with me going fishing every night lol

it's like 46 a day now

Posted Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:51 pm

damn the bad luck lol it all good

Posted Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:20 pm

There is no trolling motor and fish finder, unless you brought a portable one. You may find out throwing popper on 200 feet water. It is like fishing blind. Stay with the shoreline. Do yourself a huge favor, pick a very calm day. The big Q can be rough on windy day. The rent boat is like a piece of leaf in the chop. In such condition, forget about fishing, it is too miserable to be there.

Posted Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:45 pm

I always bring my trolling motor with me and last year I picked up a fishfinder that I mounted the transducer to the trolling motor. Your right about the wind. That place has it's own weather patterns.

Posted Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:33 am

Has anybody tried the pottapog side (Hardwick gate 43?)?
That's nice too if it's windy.

Posted Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:58 am

jwall046

Has anybody tried the pottapog side (Hardwick gate 43?)?
That's nice too if it's windy.

That's one of those places I say I'm gonna try next time and still haven't. I was talking to some old timers one day acouple of summers ago while waiting for the gate to open and they said that's all they fish now. They said 5 pound Larry's are common. It has that look to it.

Posted Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:16 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links