yesterday tim and i pulled up 2 nice smallies from 35-50 ft of water after we put um in the live well we noticed that they were floating on thier sides. chuck said it was a form of the bends ( like divers get when they come up too fast) after doing some reading last night
Chuck was spot on. And i found some info and some utube vidios that could save the fishes life. it where you would remove a scale from the fish and insert a hypodermic needle into the swim bladder thus allowing the air to drain from the bladder and the fish becomes boyent again. this info comes from gary yamamotos site (inside line) it talks about the stomacs coming out of the mouth. i had a small pearch and thats exactly what was happening. after reading these articals and waching a few utube vidios. i,m shure i,m going to practice this with all my catch and release from deep water. if the fish are showing signs.this is potentialy deadly to the fish. and it dosnt look as if you need to be a skilled surgen to pull this off. Guys check it out and let me know your opnions sorry for the long read and spelling

Posted Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:35 am

This is AWESOME jimmy....how ever..."officer it's only for saving a fishes life someday" miiiiiight not fly well with mass state police should they catch you with a dirty ass needle(even if it's in your tackle box)I remember your take on your own "luck"in a previous thread and I have that same "luck" in fact my friends have deemed me privatley as"The Bad Luck f***"an' knowin myself...would sit on the f**** thing hahahaha ...BUT...having pulled a few chest tubes from HUMAN BEINGS in my time ...it's a VERY COOL method...they do something similar to humans

basshunter62

yesterday tim and i pulled up 2 nice smallies from 35-50 ft of water after we put um in the live well we noticed that they were floating on thier sides. chuck said it was a form of the bends ( like divers get when they come up too fast) after doing some reading last night
Chuck was spot on. And i found some info and some utube vidios that could save the fishes life. it where you would remove a scale from the fish and insert a hypodermic needle into the swim bladder thus allowing the air to drain from the bladder and the fish becomes boyent again. this info comes from gary yamamotos site (inside line) it talks about the stomacs coming out of the mouth. i had a small pearch and thats exactly what was happening. after reading these articals and waching a few utube vidios. i,m shure i,m going to practice this with all my catch and release from deep water. if the fish are showing signs.this is potentialy deadly to the fish. and it dosnt look as if you need to be a skilled surgen to pull this off. Guys check it out and let me know your opnions sorry for the long read and spelling

Posted Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:12 pm

one site had a pic if a realy small ice pick for the initnal hole and a basketball/ football inflator pin to let the air out of the bladder. and all you would need is the broken off needle ( somthing hollow) however the prob with something that small is it gets cloged on the 1st try. i think they recomend a #28 needle for best results

Posted Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:44 pm

Just messin' witchya Jimmy hahaha they make a special tool for the method(One that won't get us busted Jimmy) hahaha
---as usual I'm constantly kiding around

basshunter62

one site had a pic if a realy small ice pick for the initnal hole and a basketball/ football inflator pin to let the air out of the bladder. and all you would need is the broken off needle ( somthing hollow) however the prob with something that small is it gets cloged on the 1st try. i think they recomend a #28 needle for best results

Posted Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:56 pm

sounds like a bad idea to me..you put a hole in the bladder then it will never work right again. May seem to save the fish at the time but it is only prolonging the death imo. It isn't as though the hole miraculously heals and once the fish needs to inflate it again it will not be able to do so once released. The difference in doing it in a human is the doctors later fix the damage, both through surgery and long time monitored recovery..we have no way of doing so on this fish, risking the bladder tearing at your "hole" later or simply always slowly leaking air from the bladder never allowing the fish to properly use it and thusly harming its swimming patterns in the future, probably leading to predation or starvation. Not to mention by removing a scale and harming the slime coat of the fish you run the increased risk of infection, add to that making a hole allowing possible infection to the inner body cavity...Your best bet, is to either not fish that deep, or plan to eat what you catch in my opinion.

Posted Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:15 pm

OK...I SHOULD say...NO...there is usually no surgery performed to close the inscision that is made for a chest tube...in case they had to go back in sooner than expected @ most usually a single "x" stitch(recovery relies heavily on a persons abilty to heal the wound and topical sollutions).Secondly as a part of cardiac rehab my main job was to get "you" out of the surgical bed and walking laps in the halls within 24 hours and out of the hospital in under 3 days,even though you were "surgically dead" for up to 8 hours)(pretty forceful huh?...you bet it was...I DO however agree that there is NO WAY to monitor the fish we choose to do this with...and if I may be so bold...the fish is as good as dead the minute that "The Bends" kicks in anyways...I agree Erik...EAT THE DAMN THING after all the s*** ya put it through draggin' it up. . .
blackstonecarp

sounds like a bad idea to me..you put a hole in the bladder then it will never work right again. May seem to save the fish at the time but it is only prolonging the death imo. It isn't as though the hole miraculously heals and once the fish needs to inflate it again it will not be able to do so once released. The difference in doing it in a human is the doctors later fix the damage, both through surgery and long time monitored recovery..we have no way of doing so on this fish, risking the bladder tearing at your "hole" later or simply always slowly leaking air from the bladder never allowing the fish to properly use it and thusly harming its swimming patterns in the future, probably leading to predation or starvation. Not to mention by removing a scale and harming the slime coat of the fish you run the increased risk of infection, add to that making a hole allowing possible infection to the inner body cavity...Your best bet, is to either not fish that deep, or plan to eat what you catch in my opinion.

Posted Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:50 pm

The chest tube however does not put a hole in the lungs, it puts a hole in the throat and slides a tube in to keep the air way open. Having a broken rib poke through a lung, or having a collapsed lung requires a bit more after care to fix. If this procedure was simply putting a hole into the side of the fish to alleviate pressure that would be one thing, but poking the actual air bladder seems far more devastating. We also do it to humans to fix a situation that we didn't create, and in both cases avoiding the dangerous situation would always be best anyway, which of course is not always possible.

Fishing the cold water is tough though, I've had to call it quits sometimes simply because my catching the fish put the fish into a dangerous state. There are sometimes that as a "mostly" catch and release angler y6ou have to stop and say it isn't worth the risk..imo anyway. I am not saying that the thought behind the procedure is bad, people wanting to help their catches live is a good thing, I'm just saying that avoiding that kind of fishing may be a better alternative to running amuck with a needle Razz

At least if you plan to eat the fish you have no worries..eating humans however is frowned upon...just putting that out there...

Posted Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:53 pm

no...the chest tube is direct to the lung(typically the left) which by the way is the only organ in the human body that has a direct source of "clean" oxygenated blood...what Erik is referring to is a tracheal intubation tube(placed in a surgically created circular insc. called a stoma...MUCH DIFFERENT ! The intended use for chests tube is usually to remove the inevitable fluid build up(called pleurisy) created during longer surgeries such as C.A.B.G and C.V.I. patients...here's the bottom line...there is no SAFE WAY to perform this on ANY 'being"... however...I can see how it might give said fish a some momentary "relief" BUT I think Erik is correct in his statement that there's a good chance the fish will NOT fully recover after piercing the single most important organ in the fishes system...I say again EAT DA DAMN THING...
I once had guy try t bribe with 400bucks CASH to go down to the cafe' to get get him a steak...4 mnths after his recovery I was taking some additional classes downtown Worcester...I had to walk through the deli in the lobby to get upstairs...guess who was at the counter with a "Rueben"...you guessed it "Lawyer Billy" with this "damn I know I know this guy" look on his face...realizes who I am...turns toward the trash and throws the whole BRAND NEW sandwich away and mutters under his breath..."Damn It"...I know he went back later...but it made me laugh knowing...here's this guy who has the whole world...'(ya shoulda seen his wife and PERFECT 2.5 kids)...who was going to die early because he ate a s*** diet...and it's not like he had to..HE HAD DOUGH! 'Was just too "thick" to see the issue at hand...sorry I went off here...hahahahahahaha...hey Jimmy betchya didn't think this would be the "response" huh? hahahaha

Posted Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:47 pm

here's the HILARIOUS after thought ..."I caught a fish...it got the bends...I popped it with a pin and threw it back...is that good?" hahahahah I'm sorry I just crack myself up...

Posted Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:59 pm

that was sarcasm dontchya know...it's COMPLETELY fine for the fish and by this articles account this is ACTUALLY the safest way to help the fish survive...provided it's done CORRECTLY ...he DOES say DON'T pop the second bladder that protrudes from it's mouth
http://drskiponline.com/2009/08/30/letting-the-air-out-of-releasing-fish

Posted Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:17 pm

thanks guys for your opnipns. i have done some reaserch on this. and the term( fizzing) is used and also says that the bladder repairs itself. a new rule has ben inacted for florida that all boats while fishing require a venting tool to be present on board ( if in the gulf) so thats got to hav some value to it I dont know if I would stop small mouth fishing as they are a deep water fish and also a game fish I dont know anybody who eats um IMO i think the fish have a better chance of survival with a deflated air bladder so there not flopping around on the surface baking in the sun. or just waiting for some form of pray to take them down. or up in the sky.

Posted Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:09 pm

I love this kind of conversation...I'm very very interested in the scientific how's n why's of the world...gulf fisherman ARE required to have a 'bladder-bleeder' if a fish is caught in water deeper than 35' and has already gone into winter dormancy it is GOOD PRACTICE to release the gases from the bladder to improve it's chances of survival...it is a known fact that fish that bottom dwell ie carp have genetically done away with the second bladder system and for species as the like it is dangerous to perform this technique on them ...Jimmy...I'm 100% French...WE EAT EVERYTHING...even the eyeballs...hahaha ESPECIALLY the eyeballs hahahaha

basshunter62

thanks guys for your opnipns. i have done some reaserch on this. and the term( fizzing) is used and also says that the bladder repairs itself. a new rule has ben inacted for florida that all boats while fishing require a venting tool to be present on board ( if in the gulf) so thats got to hav some value to it I dont know if I would stop small mouth fishing as they are a deep water fish and also a game fish I dont know anybody who eats um IMO i think the fish have a better chance of survival with a deflated air bladder so there not flopping around on the surface baking in the sun. or just waiting for some form of pray to take them down. or up in the sky.

Posted Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:25 pm

You are correct I had my procedures wrong..all I know is plastic on a sucking chest wound, yell "medic" and hope for the best I'm a fighter not a doctor dammit! Wink

That said my thoughts on the article are... He says that poking a hole in the stomach will let water into the body cavity and cause death, but suggests poking a hole in the fished back/or side, seems oddly contradictory if you ask me. Would water not get into the body cavity that way as well?

Secondly he states to not poke the kidney, and lets be honest, how many bass fishermen know where a fish's kidney is? Or any other organs to avoid.

Thirdly, he states that small fish can be brought from 30-40 feet and released without venting...since this is a small mouth discussion I again question the contradiction.

Also of note is he mentioned a basketball pump adapter..this is meant for large fish, not a 3 pound small mouth. That hole would be massive one a smaller fish, just a note.

My thought is this..I agree it is good to keep in mind ways to improve your catch and release tactics, fish care and handling. I think it may help in some situations, but I also believe it may simply appear to help as if the fish swims away it is not always in good health. I think that catching fish to 30 feet may not be an issue and trying to go below that may cause more issues then it is worth. I didn't say stop small mouth fishing, however I have caught up to 5 pound smallies in 10 feet of running water when I lived in Pa, fishing the Schuylkill river ( pronounced school-kill). The point I am making is, there are other areas to target them then going exceptionally deep. Avoiding this situation all together would be the best catch and release habit to get into I would think. I'm not trying to say " omg your a bad person!" lol, all of us, no matter how die hard catch and release harm fish at some point. It is the nature of the beast sadly.

Posted Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:05 pm

The correct term for what is happening to the fish is called: "Barotrauma".

Here is a link that gives a good description of the injury as well as an attempt at a solution for deep water fishermen who practice catch and release: http://git-r-down.net/4.html

I agree with Blackstone, in that you should make a decision about how you are targeting the fish, if you are going to catch and keep the fish, then fishing for them deep is OK as long as you dispatch them quickly. However, if you intend to catch and release them, then you shouldn't target them at depths that will cause them to suffer barotrauma.

Posted Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:41 pm

Just t' show ya'z I'm not ALWAYS just messing around...the term is "Fizzing"...for OBVIOUS reasons(Jimmy is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT)...I had initial reservations about this...this video has me thinking somewhat differently now...'seems fairly safe to the fish and the results speak for themselves ...check it out...maybe some of you guys have seen this already... http://youtu.be/kyoe0jrZWvQ
basshunter62

Posted Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:28 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links