'Ya suppose it would be a GOOD IDEA to set my aquarium back up strictly for arkansas shiners? whatdya supose they'd eat?...I'm sure they'd be ALL OVER the bio-food I have and then I could just buy them all winter and be stocked ANYTIME I WANT in the spring and summer---I kept my fish alive for 11 yrs in that tank,,,whats the diference if they're shiners ?

Last edited by riverrat82 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:49 am; edited 2 times in total

Posted Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:09 pm

Make sure they are kept at the same climate as they would be when you dunk them under the ice. You do not need to feed them but keep aerated. I forgot the literal terms why but they will live for months with nothing. Just swap out some water every so often and your good.
I'm sure someone might have a better description but this is what i have done for a few years and no worries.

Posted Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:45 pm

jwall046

Make sure they are kept at the same climate as they would be when you dunk them under the ice. You do not need to feed them but keep aerated. I forgot the literal terms why but they will live for months with nothing. Just swap out some water every so often and your good.
I'm sure someone might have a better description but this is what i have done for a few years and no worries.

I've got KILLER 02 systems for my tank...cold water species --kinda similar to goldfish believe it or not I'd omit the heaters and I'd be MONEY ! I believe and occasional single ice cube in my 40 gallon (once a month) or so would keep thier systems temperate enough for a dunk in the ice water ...I'm just THINKING OUT LOUD HERE

Posted Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:07 pm

Doesn't hurt to experiment Mr. Green

Posted Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:30 pm

riverrat82

'Ya suppose it would be a GOOD IDEA to set my aquarium back up strictly for arkansas shiners? whatdya supose they'd eat?...I'm sure they'd be ALL OVER the bio-food I have and then I could just buy them all winter and be stocked ANYTIME I WANT in the spring and summer---I kept my fish alive for 11 yrs in that tank,,,whats the diference if they're shiners ?
edited:12/9/11-----I want to keep this one in the 'day-light'...this is one of the rare times I'm ACTUALLY BEIN' SERIOUS about seeking some first hand fishing knowledge(Thanks for the tips so far JayWallz...)& although I TOO enjoy getting "ripped" by guys w/ more experience who say "It'll NEVER work" ect...In this instance I'd rather hear from someone who does this RIGHT NOW and can give me the QWIX of it and I can get rollin' ASAP...I've got a 30gal tank with KILLER filters..set up isn't in question...How many would SAFLEY survive...food choices...AND MOST IMPORTANTLY...is it legal to do...or will PETA put me on a wanted poster?

Posted Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:48 am

peta who ?

i tried it once - they died after 3 days - but was normal shiners form outdoor store - and im not a aquarium pro - just got an old tank from a buddy with air and filter

but go for it and report i need a close by place to get fresh live bait Wink

Posted Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:21 am

skoda

peta who ?

i tried it once - they died after 3 days - but was normal shiners form outdoor store - and im not a aquarium pro - just got an old tank from a buddy with air and filter

but go for it and report i need a close by place to get fresh live bait Wink

I'll let you know for sure...toby...you can swing down any time dude...holy cross is 1minute from my pad in the village...and get your self a cheap 9' surf caster or a striper rod...next summer we're gonna HOOK INTO SOME PIGS at the canal...and ah...did you get my message last week...FairWay Beef off water st in worcester...you can get all sorts of fresh game fowl there...swing by the ponderosa some time after HC cuts ya loose and I'll show ya right where it is ...

Posted Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:44 am

will do bro work is just crazy atm with all that xmas bull

Posted Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:47 am

HOLY CROSS BUZZES til May...I caught thier graduation FIREWORKS on video this past May-Prett cool...My Jam space was @ 66 College hill for years...My guitarist's "outlaws" own that house...we jammed on the 3rd floor(we TOOK IT OVA) hahahaha
Toby---whatdyou do for work over there?
skoda

will do bro work is just crazy atm with all that xmas bull

Posted Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:08 am

For what it is worth I had shiners for years in with a goldfish/carp tank. I used to pick up a few for my turtle at the time and the ones that managed ot survive long enough or he didn't eat I would switch over to the non-predatory tank.

We kept it simple with your basic good gold fish food and bits of my homemade carp bait/boilies and those shiners lived for quite a long time, and got huge, some upwards of 8 inches and fat....They are very hardy over all and don't need a lot of extra care outside of keeping the water clean/oxygenated. The biggest hurdle I think you'd have would be amonia from fish waste depending on the size of school you'd be trying to keep.

Posted Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:23 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links