Alright Folks, after a Decent Trout season I want to land a Salmon. I need your input on what methods work best on a Cold Clear lake AVG Depth 5-30'. Please Share!

Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:33 pm

rlstates

Alright Folks, after a Decent Trout season I want to land a Salmon. I need your input on what methods work best on a Cold Clear lake AVG Depth 5-30'. Please Share!

Salmon run heavy in bigger rivers...no?

Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:42 pm

I have NO CLUE. I do know they just stocked Comet pond With Broostock Smile and just wondering the best method to pull one out.... do they feed on power bait? Blown Worms? Jigs?

Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:51 pm

NAW MAAAAN you said you grew up down south ya JUMP IN(wearin somethin' like what your profile pic of course) ya make sure your spears for the spear-gun are nice n sharp and WHAM you got your KEEPA----in all seriousness I might use a light surf caster...hooking into a 12-20lber is a nice fight and swim baits or "clackers" to draw some attention!

rlstates

I have NO CLUE. I do know they just stocked Comet pond With Broostock Smile and just wondering the best method to pull one out.... do they feed on power bait? Blown Worms? Jigs?

Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:41 pm

riverrat82

NAW MAAAAN you said you grew up down south ya JUMP IN(wearin somethin' like what your profile pic of course) ya make sure your spears for the spear-gun are nice n sharp and WHAM you got your KEEPA----in all seriousness I might use a light surf caster...hooking into a 12-20lber is a nice fight and swim baits or "clackers" to draw some attention!

rlstates

Salmon knoodling. now thats a new sport

"Hillbilly Salmon Hand fishing" New series on Discovery. I can already see it.

Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:19 pm

I heard that each lake is only going to get between 10 an 15 fish this time around. Hurricane Irene knocked out the hatchery in Northern Vermont this past fall. I wouldn't waste your time trying to catch a needle in a hay stack but if you want try, a small shiner under a bobber is the best way. That or casting small spoons.

Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:28 pm

tunameltdown

I heard that each lake is only going to get between 10 an 15 fish this time around. Hurricane Irene knocked out the hatchery in Northern Vermont this past fall. I wouldn't waste your time trying to catch a needle in a hay stack but if you want try, a small shiner under a bobber is the best way. That or casting small spoons.

Nice. Well Comet by my house got a full truckload while I was there. Prob 50-75 in all.

Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:35 pm

Winter 2011
Broodstock salmon stocking began the week of December 12 and will be complete by the end of the week. This year, each district received 60 fish, all from the Division of Fisheries and Wildlife's Roger Reed State Fish Hatchery in Palmer. The fish range in size from 5 to 18 pounds, with an average weight of about 10 pounds each. There will be no broodstock salmon available from the White River National Fish Hatchery in Bethel, Vermont, this year due to the extensive damage to the hatchery from flood waters caused by Tropical Storm Irene earlier this fall.

Winter 2011--Broodstock Salmon Stocked Waters District Town & Water Body
Western Pittsfield -- Onota Lake
Western Lee -- Goose Pond
Western Stockbridge -- Stockbridge Bowl
Conn. Valley Belchertown -- Lake Metacomet
Conn. Valley Orange -- Lake Mattawa
Conn. Valley Southwick -- Congamond Lake (Middle Pond)
Conn. Valley Springfield -- Five Mile Pond
Central Douglas -- Wallum Lake
Central Lunenburg/Fitchburg -- Whalom Lake
Central Hubbardston -- Comet Pond
Central Worcester -- Lake Quinsigamond
Central Webster -- Webster Lake
Northeast Framingham/Natick -- Lake Cochituate
Northeast Groton -- Baddacook Pond
Northeast Hopkinton -- Hopkinton Reservoir
Northeast Methuen -- Forest Lake
Northeast Wenham -- Pleasant Pond
Northeast Woburn -- Horn Pond
Southeast Brewster -- Cliff Pond , Sheep Pond
Southeast Plymouth -- Little Pond , Long Pond
Southeast Sandwich -- Peters Pond

Are you sure about that number? Says that each district is only getting 60 fish? That only works out to about 10-15 fish per lake in each district? Are you sure they were all salmon?

Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:40 pm

I hope this technique/s works for you...and some of it applies to casting terra firma as well The most popular method of lake fishing is trolling, which is when you fish from a boat that's constantly moving. To begin, rig your line with whatever accessories, bait or lure you like, and then cast your line into the water from the back or side of the boat. When trolling, be sure to keep the boat at a slow enough speed to keep your lure below the surface of the water. You can also change the speed of the boat to manipulate the depth and speed of your lure in order to better entice a bite [Source: Washington Department of Fishing and Wildlife].
The fully mature salmon found in lakes are often very large; make sure your rod, line, hooks and the rest of your equipment can handle a big catch if one comes your way. The larger fish tend to group in deeper water, and you can control the depth you're fishing at by using devices like sinkers, divers or downriggers.
Sinkers are small lead weights that can be tied to your line, and divers are larger weights designed to make fishing at great depths less of a struggle. Both sinkers and divers are used with a variety of lures -- flashers, spoons, bucktails or plugs -- or a small fish as bait.
--------good luck...Dave From Wista

Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:03 pm

tunameltdown

Winter 2011
Broodstock salmon stocking began the week of December 12 and will be complete by the end of the week. This year, each district received 60 fish, all from the Division of Fisheries and Wildlife's Roger Reed State Fish Hatchery in Palmer. The fish range in size from 5 to 18 pounds, with an average weight of about 10 pounds each. There will be no broodstock salmon available from the White River National Fish Hatchery in Bethel, Vermont, this year due to the extensive damage to the hatchery from flood waters caused by Tropical Storm Irene earlier this fall.

Winter 2011--Broodstock Salmon Stocked Waters District Town & Water Body
Western Pittsfield -- Onota Lake
Western Lee -- Goose Pond
Western Stockbridge -- Stockbridge Bowl
Conn. Valley Belchertown -- Lake Metacomet
Conn. Valley Orange -- Lake Mattawa
Conn. Valley Southwick -- Congamond Lake (Middle Pond)
Conn. Valley Springfield -- Five Mile Pond
Central Douglas -- Wallum Lake
Central Lunenburg/Fitchburg -- Whalom Lake
Central Hubbardston -- Comet Pond
Central Worcester -- Lake Quinsigamond
Central Webster -- Webster Lake
Northeast Framingham/Natick -- Lake Cochituate
Northeast Groton -- Baddacook Pond
Northeast Hopkinton -- Hopkinton Reservoir
Northeast Methuen -- Forest Lake
Northeast Wenham -- Pleasant Pond
Northeast Woburn -- Horn Pond
Southeast Brewster -- Cliff Pond , Sheep Pond
Southeast Plymouth -- Little Pond , Long Pond
Southeast Sandwich -- Peters Pond

Are you sure about that number? Says that each district is only getting 60 fish? That only works out to about 10-15 fish per lake in each district? Are you sure they were all salmon?

Buddy, I sat there with my line in the water watching him scoop out fish with a partner for about 30 minutes. we made small talk . definitely more than 10-15 fish. Once again I estimate 50-75 Salmon. no trout. you should call them to clarify? let them know it was 10/13/2011 at 3pm.

Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:06 pm

riverrat82

I hope this technique/s works for you...and some of it applies to casting terra firma as well The most popular method of lake fishing is trolling, which is when you fish from a boat that's constantly moving. To begin, rig your line with whatever accessories, bait or lure you like, and then cast your line into the water from the back or side of the boat. When trolling, be sure to keep the boat at a slow enough speed to keep your lure below the surface of the water. You can also change the speed of the boat to manipulate the depth and speed of your lure in order to better entice a bite [Source: Washington Department of Fishing and Wildlife].
The fully mature salmon found in lakes are often very large; make sure your rod, line, hooks and the rest of your equipment can handle a big catch if one comes your way. The larger fish tend to group in deeper water, and you can control the depth you're fishing at by using devices like sinkers, divers or downriggers.
Sinkers are small lead weights that can be tied to your line, and divers are larger weights designed to make fishing at great depths less of a struggle. Both sinkers and divers are used with a variety of lures -- flashers, spoons, bucktails or plugs -- or a small fish as bait.
--------good luck...Dave From Wista

Thanks Dave. That is some helpful information.

Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:08 pm

GREAT INFO "Melt" Ma Man...
Yo ! "RL"...here's another pc of that tech article . . .if you're looking for something a little more relaxing or simple, you may want to try float fishing. When float fishing, all you need is a rod with a spinning or bait-casting ­reel, a bobber, and a lure or bait. You can float fish from a stationary boat, a dock or the shoreline.
The key to float fishing is the bobber. The bobber is a floating indicator of whether or not a fish has bitten your bait. The height of your bobber on the line will depend on how deep in the water you'd like to fish. No matter how far you cast out the bobber will float at the surface of the water, and the remainder of the line, with the bait and hook, will sink. Many anglers use small sinkers when fishing with bobbers to ensure that their bait sinks all the way down into the water [Source: Ball].
After you've cast your line, keep an eye on the bobber to tell you when you've got a bite. If the fish is only nibbling on the bait, or even swimming into it, the bobber may bounce up and down or sway from side to side. However, you should wait until the bobber is submerged before you attempt to hook the fish, or you'll likely scare the fish in the area away from your bait. Once you see that the bobber has gone completely under water, jerk your rod back to hook the fish and reel it in [Source: Roberts].
Although float fishing isn't likely to attract larger fish, it does allow you to place your bait wherever you think fish may be swimming. A popular strategy when float fishing is to cast your bait into areas of weeds and lilies, which aren't as accessible when trolling. This strategy is often successful with salmon and many other species of fish.---TheRiverRat®

Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:09 pm

Fished there all day today bunch of rainbows and brooks guy shows up ten minutes hes pulling in a salmon with a kastmaster thing was huge at least 10 -15 pounds saw him break the surface looked bigger then my 5 gallon bucket. snapped his line 30 feet from shore heading back tomm with some lures and hopefully pulling one in myself......

Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:02 pm

@rlstates

Salmon usually like the colors gold, silver, orange and pink. If you are going to bait fish for them you can try using preserved salmon eggs on a size 10 or 8 egg hook. 12-18" Above the hook you need to attach just enough split shot to slowly sink the bait to your chosen depth. Above that you should clip on a weighted spring lock float (The type that has "quills").

If bait and wait type fishing is not for you...then you can try using a Lurh Jenson flatfish in an orange or pink color. Mepps anglia and black fury spinners are a good choice preferably in orange or pink. Blue Fox Pixie spoons have gotten some good reviews. Even a Thomas's buoyant spoon might work.

Good luck!

Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:17 pm

eastciderida

Fished there all day today bunch of rainbows and brooks guy shows up ten minutes hes pulling in a salmon with a kastmaster thing was huge at least 10 -15 pounds saw him break the surface looked bigger then my 5 gallon bucket. snapped his line 30 feet from shore heading back tomm with some lures and hopefully pulling one in myself......

Nice dude! how was he set up? let me know how you do..... now when you went were you at the beach? did you fish off to the sides or straight out?

Posted Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:34 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links