We're runnin' outta "nice" days...I've got dozens of spots on the river out there in "TheBrookfields"(aptly named) and I'm willing to let out a few of the "secrets" HIT ME UP here if 'you're" interested and we can head out there ---the big boys'll be runnin' through there and pike can't be far off so LET'S FISH ! Go Fish

Posted Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:01 am

You live out in Western Mass? Or rather western/centralish it seems?

Posted Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:59 pm

riverrat82

We're runnin' outta "nice" days...I've got dozens of spots on the river out there in "TheBrookfields"(aptly named) and I'm willing to let out a few of the "secrets" HIT ME UP here if 'you're" interested and we can head out there ---the big boys'll be runnin' through there and pike can't be far off so LET'S FISH ! Go Fish

OK GUYS...I've got this coming friday off 12/2/11...this is a standing offer for ANYONE who's unfamiliar with the area...REMEMBER---I can guide you to (2) of the launches that'll appear on 2012's MAFF CIRCUIT...Quaboag(Brookfield) and Long pond(Sturbridge)...and I'm a bit of an EXPERT on travel to Wallum & Singletary having grown up a few miles from both( I'm ALWAYS willing to help out the tourney guys with ANY directionz & ammentiez I'm familiar with in these areas)

Posted Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:52 am

Do you know how to catch The big golden shiners in there? Those save some serious money prior to ice fishing.

Posted Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:34 pm

jwall046

Do you know how to catch The big golden shiners in there? Those save some serious money prior to ice fishing.

I NEVER thought of that jay ! (catchin' my own shiners) I can tell you however that the little inlets at the entrance/exit from the lake to the river holds the LUNKERS in this place...I got a good friend who's been giving me tips on this place for YEARS...since he lives on The Boag...he launches right outta his yard and into the backside where the river makes it's appearance...thats where the PIKE hang out around now eating EVERYTHING IN SIGHT ---ask Damon---he can tell you about late autumn pike in those spots...

Posted Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:48 pm

I'm setting up a bait tank soon. I have never caught any goldens by hook and line. But you can jig em up during the ice too. If i get my tank up and you want to contribute to it feel free. I don't mean supply my bait,lol. I will have more than enough. But you can throw some in if wanted to keep alive. If you save the Dead ones (freeze em) they are good too!

Posted Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:06 pm

u catch ur own live bait ?
most i got was keep shiners a wek alive in a tank with pump and filter

Posted Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:06 pm

skoda

u catch ur own live bait ?
most i got was keep shiners a wek alive in a tank with pump and filter

No...I'd buy 'em up at the bait store and keep 'em in my aquarium ! a week ! ? what are you...the angel of death? hahahahahaha !

Posted Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:17 pm

Trap ur own it's cheaper. Very Happy . I do agree tho when you go to buy em and have left overs put em in an aquarium (cold) for next trip. I don't think i spend 100's on bait but my son and i trap em and it makes it fun too.

Posted Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:22 pm

i try going for those goldi locks myself have two traps but caught jack yet only tiny sunfish and eel - where do you go to get em and how

Posted Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:24 pm

I go to my fathers personal pond that has an abundance of em.
I also try small ponds near my work in N. Brookfield.
Put some cat food or crackers inside of trap. Toss it out and check back soon. AT my fathers i suspend the trap. But other areas where theft is a concern i sink it and try to hide. Golf coarse ponds are good too. Small drainage ponds. Honestly keep tryin and you will strike gold! To catch bigger ones you need to actually fish for em. When i figure that out i will let ya know.

Posted Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:26 pm

I have caught golden shiners using my 6wt fly rod using eagle claw #10 bait holder hooks and Berkeley power bait honey worms (natural color). The golden shiners camp the spawning beds of Bluegill and Sunfish. They are usually around 6-8 inches in length. Once you hook one they release this hormone called "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schreckstoff" which signals the other shiners to swim away. Ironically this same hormone attracts predators like bass to the shiner. So if you use the hook and line method of gathering this baitfish you will be lucky to take 2 or 3 in any given location.

http://www.mafishfinder.com/view_photo_details.php?id=24151&pid=11

Posted Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:19 pm

Nice info! thanks
I hope to give it a try. Not knocking the theory but my friend slays them in single outings. But he might be an exception to the rule because he is a very avid outdoorsman, Not that people on this site aren't. but he is alot better than me. Smile

Posted Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:45 pm

You're welcome. Good luck with the hunt for baitfish.

Posted Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:36 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links