Could be one of the last fishing days of the year for me this weekend. I'm from the North Shore. Looking to fish somewhere outside my usual spots, within an hours drive. Any recomendations for some fall action? Don't send me to any crap holes either!!! Very Happy

Posted Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:14 pm

Someone's "crap hole" may give them a 20 pound bag one day and leave you fishless the next day...just saying...it is fishing.

Posted Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:45 pm

volume4130

Someone's "crap hole" may give them a 20 pound bag one day and leave you fishless the next day...just saying...it is fishing.

x2 Can't say it any better

Posted Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:09 am

I was going to tell you where I caught my 7lber this year but it's a crap hole.

Posted Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:32 am

Haha, I used to think some places sucked but then i realized it wasn't the place itself. I fish anywhere regardless of someones success.
I keep trying South Pond, Brookfield. Because it has deep water available and seems like a good amount of forage. I've seen a few nice fish come from there but 5lbs is my max. I can't break into the 6+ realm anywhere yet.

Posted Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:05 am

Walden Pond.

Some bigguns in there both large and small mouth, lots of clear deep water. You also have the possibility of pulling in some big rainbow and brown trout.

Posted Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:23 am

weldinghank

Walden Pond.

Some bigguns in there both large and small mouth, lots of clear deep water. You also have the possibility of pulling in some big rainbow and brown trout.

I used to go here a lot but paying to park sucks and some swimming clubs or something pretty much turned me off. It seems every time I was there someone would be doing laps right up the shore line. There's plenty of other places that have free parking. I like too hit the ponds at Harold Parker, plenty of access.

Posted Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:34 am

This should go without saying but generally the best lakes and pond will have a strong forage base and lots of cover/structure. What contributes to a strong forage base? The lakes and ponds that have that "something else. that something else is an extra 1-2 types of forage that others do not have I.E. herring, alewifes and trout, yes trout. Bass feed on stocked trout and grow BIG from doing it. These things can be found by going to fish and games website and looking at topo maps/google earth

Posted Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:04 am

South pond is heavily stocked with trout. That's what strikes my interest. I think they closed the ramp for re-construction and they just stocked it. So i do not think many boats will be accessing it. But i can't wait to try a Swimbait there someday. I have to take stratos1966's advice and start looking in other areas instead of the old stand by stuff and expand my areas.
Good luck on the trip.

Posted Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:22 am

shawneramone

weldinghank

Walden Pond.

I used to go here a lot but paying to park sucks and some swimming clubs or something pretty much turned me off. It seems every time I was there someone would be doing laps right up the shore line. There's plenty of other places that have free parking. I like too hit the ponds at Harold Parker, plenty of access.

I don't think $5 is too bad for parking. And as far as the swimmers, they have new regs in place, that the swimmers are to only swim the north (shallower) side, and fishing on the south (deep)side.

Walden also has a really good crayfish population, so jigs/tubes/cray imitations always kill here for bass. Kastmasters,spinners kill trout. I've always had really good luck on shallow/mid diving plugs on everything, Bass and Trout.

Posted Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:49 am

I'm glad that they put regs in place. I really haven't fished there in a few years. I always had good luck there.

Posted Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:53 am

stratos1966

This should go without saying but generally the best lakes and pond will have a strong forage base and lots of cover/structure. What contributes to a strong forage base? The lakes and ponds that have that "something else. that something else is an extra 1-2 types of forage that others do not have I.E. herring, alewifes and trout, yes trout. Bass feed on stocked trout and grow BIG from doing it. These things can be found by going to fish and games website and looking at topo maps/google earth

I was always under the impression that trout was a bass's(atleast big bass) #1 favorite forage.

Posted Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:17 am

weldinghank

I was always under the impression that trout was a bass's(atleast big bass) #1 favorite forage.

I think you are right...that's why those bass get so damn in the California reservoirs. Trout are high in protein and don't have spikey fins...they slide right in!

I wouldn't be surprised if there were 10 lb bass in Spot Pond because of this...If the boating regs weren't so stupid there, I think it would yield even more monster bass. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a state record swimming around down there somewhere...but I'm not going to pay $25-30/hr to rent a crappy boat from them, and I don't see it being caught from shore - place gets deep!

Posted Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:06 pm

sorry, didn't mean to sound like a turd! Some guys get a kick out of sending people fishing in total dumps knowing they are wasting your time. Drive all the way there......no place to launch a boat, no parking, trash everywhere, 4 feet deep across the whole place, weeds up the ying yang, and it's full of just sun fish...... Rolling Eyes

I wouldn't do that to anyone. I'd rather tell you straight out here's a few places, but i'm keeping my honey hole in my back pocket!

Posted Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:16 pm

tallimeca

sorry, didn't mean to sound like a turd! Some guys get a kick out of sending people fishing in total dumps knowing they are wasting your time. Drive all the way there......no place to launch a boat, no parking, trash everywhere, 4 feet deep across the whole place, weeds up the ying yang, and it's full of just sun fish...... Rolling Eyes

I wouldn't do that to anyone. I'd rather tell you straight out here's a few places, but i'm keeping my honey hole in my back pocket!

I hear ya!
I sometime am reluctant to say some places are awesome or suck. A lake called Quaboag where i grew up i used to think was awful. But i have heard and seen big bags come from there. I still have never found em. Apparently I'm doing something wrong still.
I know of another site that if you ask a Pike question they will Blatantly send you to a crap spot! That makes me upset, Like you described. I have never seen anybody give bad info on MAFF yet. This group of guys seems really respectable and willing to help. I would like to contribute to that as much as possible myself. I will give up any spot i know of but without the guarantee that the next guy will slay em. Heck he might when i didn't that's cool. Hope you find some good spots and good luck.

Posted Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:32 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links