Most of the ponds and lakes around me are all crystal clear so it can be difficult at high light periods to hide line. I have been using 10lb power pro without a leader(DONT LIKE USING LEADERS) and 10lb fireline cystal(WHICH I WILL NEVER BUY AGAIN) and been having decent to good luck depending on conditions and cloud cover, but i can never sink my lure because the line is very noticable. I might try fluro but i know you need to keep the line oiled up. So anyone else know of line that is suited for clear water? Any respones is great!

Posted Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:21 pm

Spinning rod 8lb floro or under . If you throw a baitcaster then you will be fine up to whatever lb test you like. If floro is not your thing Trilene mono xl in green

Posted Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:35 am

Have you tried P-line? It's flouro coated so its clear in the water but "more durable" than 100% flouro. I've used it on casting gear, 15lb mostly for crankbaits and its been great. However, I tried it on spinning and it was awful! I cant remember what I used for size but it may have just been too large. Anyway, I guess it depends on your application but for me its a nice cheap, clear line for casting gear.

Posted Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:06 am

Do you need to change Fluro on spinning reels often?
I might have used vanish and had bad luck due to the product.

Posted Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:06 am

I am a big fan of mono/co-polymers for most of my fishing. I do mostly carp fishing by spin rod and almost always have McCoy Mean Green on my spools. It has very good abrasion resistance, minimal stretch, no real memory issues and all around casts and works smoothly for me.

http://www.mccoyfishingline.com/newsite/

Plus it is made in the US..which is a dying thing now a days. and reasonably priced imo.

They have a couple of flouro options and a Xtra clear brand that is supposedly designed for these exact conditions... http://www.mccoyfishingline.com/newsite/prod_line_xtraclear.html

Last edited by blackstonecarp on Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:10 am

I use vanish, 8lb on both my spinning setups and I can't figure out where all the bad reviews came from. Its held up great... I've only lost one big one that I recall because of the line breaking but I think I was over excited and horsed it much too hard. I'm not saying you should use it if you have other options, but I had to get line for several setups and needed to keep the price down. I've only re-spooled it once since the spring. every month or so I will let a lot of line out and make sure all the twists are out. I'm certainly no pro, and theres a lot of knowledge on these boards... but I can tell you I do fish a minimum of 3 days a week. (love my work schedule)

Posted Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:14 am

jwall046

Define often. I fish just about every weekend. I usually change line about once a month on both mono and floro. Braid can last a season.

Posted Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:09 am

stratos1966

jwall046

Define often. I fish just about every weekend. I usually change line about once a month on both mono and floro. Braid can last a season.

I don't get to fish alot (1-3 afternoons a month and a day trip here and there). Changing line Often is once a month.I'd be wasting my money i think. I'm trying to get the best performance in the most economical fashion. I have a few rods with braid and that seems to last like you say. I don't mind mono because it's cheaper and i have been tying on a fluro leader to my braid and that seems to work because i change a small amount of leader material when needed. But if I'm missing the boat on the idea that i can spool up with fluro that would be cool.

Posted Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:31 am

p-line floroclear - fluoro coated co-polymer. best of both worlds. i use it for some spinning applications and i think it's great. you won't have to worry about backlash or tangles. it sinks, it's "clear" and it's durable.

Posted Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:39 am

Thanks guys all the respones are great. I will be hunting around this weekend for some new line and will cheak out some of the lines metioned.

Posted Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:10 pm

BTW if anyone has had experience with fluro in heavy cover like thick lilly pads, weed beds, submerged trees, etc... that would be wonderful to know how it holds up with the hogs. I stared using braided so i have confidence of not snaping off and i want to keep it that way. Again thanks for any posts any get those last weeks of fall fishing in! Very Happy

Posted Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:23 pm

17 lb Vicious Flourocarbon. Cheaper than average, but very strong

Posted Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:41 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links