What are your favorite approaches and techniques?

Last year was a good year all around front to back with senkos, but haven't had good luck this year.

So far this season, jigs and the KVD crankbaits have been good.

Shallow or deep, cover or open water, dark or light colors, fast or slow.......

Posted Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:12 pm

As the water cools I like to speed things up, cranks, spinnerbaits, ratltraps, etc. If they aren't chasing things then I will slow things down with something like a super fluke. Once the water gets into the 50's it is suspending jerkbaits for me Exclamation I usually stay away from the deep water and focus on the 5-10' range.

Posted Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:38 am

good tips Don...i've been reading that bass will move really shallow when the water temps drop into mid 60s. I would image water temps to be dropping the next few days with the rains.

Posted Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:17 pm

All the big boys have been just out of casting distance lately... I can see them exploding and can't hit them. So frustrating. Almost had one with a Zara Spook the other day, but it slammed the lure so hard that it just ripped it off the line!

Posted Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:35 pm

scoobystas

good tips Don...i've been reading that bass will move really shallow when the water temps drop into mid 60s. I would image water temps to be dropping the next few days with the rains.

The bass will move in shallow and chase the bait. You will start to see a lot of surface activity. Things will really start to pick up as the bass begin to feed heavily Exclamation

Posted Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:17 am

i've been staying true to the worm and still hitting day and night

Posted Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:00 am

I have found the fish to not be quite in there fall patterns yet. Still seeing 70* surface temps yesterday. Topwater, jigs, and flukes have always been productive to me in the fall.

Posted Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:19 am

lets all keep our fingers crossed that we get INDIAN SUMMER until October or longer !---and yea! ice fishing is BADASS too ---but I like to call the f.u.i fishing under the influence---I run a BADASS grille and would attend "The Ice Gathering" just t' feed ya'll --ya never know ya might even have me back after that !

Posted Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:45 am

riverrat82

lets all keep our fingers crossed that we get INDIAN SUMMER until October or longer !---and yea! ice fishing is BADASS too ---but I like to call the f.u.i fishing under the influence---I run a BADASS grille and would attend "The Ice Gathering" just t' feed ya'll --ya never know ya might even have me back after that !

works for me

Posted Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:00 pm

riverrat82

i like to eat things.

Posted Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:55 am

derek.j

I have found the fish to not be quite in there fall patterns yet. Still seeing 70* surface temps yesterday. Topwater, jigs, and flukes have always been productive to me in the fall.

Yeah, I agree. Water temps had dropped after all the rain last week but are back up there with the recent temps. I had 72 on the FF this a.m. The fish still know what's ahead but I still would like to see the water temp. drop Exclamation

Posted Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:29 pm

Great thread, I was about to make a similar one myself.
When the temp dropped a little and the clouds and rain came out I was crushing them on a shallow crankbait. Went out yesterday, sunny and no wind, couldn't buy a bite. I don't want to steal your thread but my twist was going to be... when this happens and you cant seem to buy a bite, do you keep going fast, try to cover water and get the aggressive fish, or do you slow way down in areas you feel confident with and throw slow baits?

I kept going fast and only got 2 small bass. Threw a whacky worm a few times but not much luck. Could have just been a tough day, I cant wait to get back out in the rain.

Posted Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:31 am

Time to go pike hunting. Like the bass they should be starting to head toward the more shallow weed lines.

Posted Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:44 am

Hey SE172. Under those conditions I go right back to fishing slow. I was throwing the wacky worm and super fluke yesterday. I really want these water temps. to drop so I can throw the fast moving baits and cover water. I did notice today on the pond I was fishing that the bass are schooling up. I would cover a lot of water without a hit and then bang, bang, bang, and that pattern would continue. I have always found Sept. to be a tough month. Things should really begin to pick up starting next week regardless of the weather Exclamation Cool

Posted Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:35 pm

Just looking for some insight, what do you guys think the bass will do this weekend with the dramatic temperature spikes?? I'm looking to go fishing tomorrow afternoon and air temps should rise into the 80s.

Water temps will probably not be affected much, probably in the mid 60s at this point. Still look for them shallow??

Posted Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:38 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links