I was wandering what kind of lures are best for catching pickerel. i live near the sudbury river and lake cochituate and have only ever caught one pickerel, any tips?

Posted Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:09 pm

inline spinners with or without a bucktail. get a Mepps size 2, 3 or #4 (smaller blade and trebles to larger from #2-#4).

Posted Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:57 pm

this time of year they will hit just about anything Exclamation Can't go wrong with a jerkbait, Rapala, Rebel, etc.

Posted Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:04 am

Anything that moves. Extra points if it's flashy and/or moves erratically.

Posted Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:00 am

michaelk

hit a few last week on 5in worms and live shiners.

Posted Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:33 am

petrgill

michaelk

hit a few last week on 5in worms and live shiners.

They seem to really like Brush Hogs too. Seem pretty indiscriminate in general.

Posted Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:15 pm

Instead of figuring out how catch pickerel, you should figure out how to NOT catch them...I can't keep the slime darts off my line! Pickerel are good for making your hands/clothes/boat infinitely slimey and biting off your most expensive lures without care!

Posted Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:14 pm

volume4130

Instead of figuring out how catch pickerel, you should figure out how to NOT catch them...I can't keep the slime darts off my line! Pickerel are good for making your hands/clothes/boat infinitely slimey and biting off your most expensive lures without care!

^This! I try to think of ways to avoid catching them... and sometimes I am hesitant to use certain baits because I am afraid to lose them to a slime dart. That being said, I think the lake I generally fish has an abnormally high number of pick

Posted Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:37 am

The best and most humane lure for catching pickerel is a Gold 1/4oz Johnsons silver spoon. Any other lure with treble hooks tends to kill the fish because they swallow small lures and the treble hooks either "gut" hook them or snag on the gills which quickly kills them.

Make sure that you have a pair of long nose pliers or forceps close at hand so that you can unhook the fish without cutting up your hands too much.

If you are catching and releasing them use a black fin mesh net and keep the fish in the water as much as possible.

To avoid losing lures to them, tie on a pre-made wire leader, about 12 inches in length.

For variety you can also use an erie dearie spinner with or without a real or plastic worm.

Posted Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:22 am

Spinnerbaits, jerkbaits and crankbaits = pickeral magnets. Once you catch one, throw it in the woods and continue Laughing

Posted Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:27 am

stratos1966

Spinnerbaits, jerkbaits and crankbaits = pickeral magnets. Once you catch one, throw it in the woods and continue Laughing

I like the throw em in the woods trick!!!

Posted Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:41 am

right, beause pickerel are such an invasive species.

Posted Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:58 am

weldinghank

Mainiacs think the same about "PIKE"

Posted Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:34 am

Brightly Colored Jigs

Posted Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:25 pm

jwall046

weldinghank

Mainiacs think the same about "PIKE"

in maine I don't believe they are native. which is why you are supposed to remove the head when you catch them.

edit: they aren't native to massachusetts either, but alot of fish aren't either. The Pickerel is native though.

Posted Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:38 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links