Fished a small Cape cartopper tourney yesterday. 7 boats total. We finished 2nd with 5 fish for 14.9 lbs. Winner had 15.8. Lunker was not caught by either 1st or 2nd and was a 6.2lb LM. Every team had over 10 lbs.
We started off the morning throwing topwater. The wind was already up and it was cloudy. Buzzbait, buzzjet and an MS slammer were the choices. The bass were having none of it. Switched to stickbaits and a carolina rig and caught 2 pretty quickly. My buddy then got one on a crankbait and another on a senko in an overhang. Moved to our 2nd area. Scattered pads and some offshore cabbage. We filled out limit and culled once here on jigs in the pads and the carolina rig in the deeper cabbage. Moved to a small cove with really nice shoreline wood. There were trees with 6-8' of water under them but no one was home under the cloudy conditions. We lost a 3lber on a brush hog pitched to some brush and then caught a 1.5lber in the same exact spot on a jig right after that. Must have been 2 fish there in compitition. Both fish crushed the baits as soon as they hit the water. the wind was really howling by now. We moved out onto a wind blown point and started to chuck spinnerbaits. My buddy gets another 3+ on the blade and I get a solid 3 doing the same. We finish the day with the spinnerbaits and some carolina rigging, cull a few more times to get up to the 14.9 lbs. We caught a total of 15 keepers and were able to cull 6 times.

Posted Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:04 am

Congrats on the nice bag. Culling 6x that's awesome. Great details

Posted Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:07 am

Were you fishing the Powderhorn series on Great Pond?
If so that place is great. I have been fishing it since I was a kid. Until recently my largest bass came from there.

Posted Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:01 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links