As anyone with a car topper knows, space is limited. I'm looking for a simple rod holder I can make myself that I can put at the back of my boat. It's the pontoon style like a pelican. Any tips are welcome.

Posted Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:16 pm

As nuts as this sounds I had a pond prowler (similiar to a Pelican) that I made two fold down extensions off the port side (One up near the bow and one further towards the back depending on rod length) and installed the basic plastice rod holders on them, the rods hung over the water but once strapped in place they were fine

Posted Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:04 pm

pics? Sounds Cool.

Posted Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:05 pm

I am also interested in some sort of home made rod holders. I have a "Bass Raider" at least thats what it says on the sides. Looks like the pelican 10ft.

I'm looking for more of a clamp on Rod holder style. Trying to get two off the back (For myself) and two off the sides (for when 2 people are on the boat.) or all 4 at a time.

I've noticed a lot of people use PVC and drill it straight into the boat... I'd rather not put unnecessary holes in the boat if i didn't have to.

And if anyone knows where to get Clamp bolts, like on C-Clamps and such that would be helpful.

Posted Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:08 pm

Sorry no pics of it Jay. I suppose I can sketch a diagram of it. Gimme a bit ill post it

Posted Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:06 pm

I can't imagine how that would work Sinista. The rods don't interfere with fishing? I saw a diagram where a guy attached some pvc to a 2x4. That looked easy

Posted Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:56 pm

ya guys there are all sors of rod holders / mounts here either fixed or clamp on http://www.scottypaddlesports.com/kayak-fishing-equipment-accessories/rod_holder_mounts/default.html

Posted Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:30 am

Those may work. I'll have to check to see if the clamp style will in fact open large enough.

Says 2" max open.

IDK how think the outside and back fo the boat are i'll have to measure. Thanks for the link though.

Still looking for home made diagrams though. Maybe some PVC Pipe and a home made clamp. Thanks Rolling Eyes

Posted Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:45 am

glad to help the make mounts for single/multiple rods, fishfinder, gps , camera you name it

Posted Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:51 am

My buddy uses a milk crate with pvc tubes attached to the outside. You can drill a pilot hole through the pvc and the crate and use a nut and bolt to attach to the milk crate, 1 on the top, one on the bottom. you could also use a piece of wood strapping, and attach the tubes to that, and the you would only need 4 bolts into the actual crate (2 up, 2 down) The tubes will hold the rods straight up, and you can put gear/tackle in the crate for easy transporting.

Posted Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:10 pm

Thanks Volume. That's exactly the type of simplicity I'm looking for. Just enough to get them out of the way.

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:35 am

anybody has a smart idea how to handle rods in a mid size sedan?

that annoys me more than in the boat Evil or Very Mad
saw a guy hang them under the roof witch i think is pretty kool untill u roll over with ur ride and hook your ass upside down

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:21 pm

skoda

anybody has a smart idea how to handle rods in a mid size sedan?

that annoys me more than in the boat Evil or Very Mad
saw a guy hang them under the roof witch i think is pretty kool untill u roll over with ur ride and hook your ass upside down

Check this link out

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Auto-ATV/Auto-Interior/Fishing-Rod-Racks%7C/pc/104796180/c/104697180/sc/104329980/Koller-Craft-Roof-Rack-and-Go/704791.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fauto-atv-auto-interior-fishing-rod-racks%2F_%2FN-1100768&WTz_l=SEO%3Bcat104329980

Takes a second for the images to come up on that one.

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:19 pm

{ like button here }

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:21 pm

All I did was Google Rod Holders for cars, theres a whole sh*tload depends on what you wanna spend

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:57 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links