loomis, st croix rods, I see these for sell all the time on the BBC boards. Anyone own either of these brands what can you tell me about them? Currently have BPS work great have a few Abu that are okay, but looking to upgrade a few this off season. All would be used for baitcaster.
Thanks,
Meatballs

Posted Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:43 pm

Can you be more specific on which line of rods within each brand you are looking at. For example I own a few of the legend tournament series by St. Croix. St.Croix has a couple of lines above this and 3-4 below this. Same thing with Loomis, there are several different lines of rods.

Posted Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:04 am

stratos1966 Great question the answer is NO only because there are so many, I am looking for a jig rod, spinning bait rod, cranking rod, worm rod. I want each one set up for that use, makes since right? Which ones are mid range I cant break the bank baby is due in 6 days! Got any used one for sell?

Posted Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:38 pm

Sorry no used ones for sale. The Mojo series by St. Croix is a 'mid-range" line. You are looking at $100 - $130 per rod depending on model. Here is a link to those rods at Tackle warehouse
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/St_Croix_Mojo_Bass_Casting_Rods/descpage-SCMJCR.html

Posted Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:15 pm

Thanks Stratos, but I like the solid handle's any ideas?

Posted Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:29 pm

I own a whole slew of Shimano Crucials I love em. I think they are coming out with the new line for 2012 this month. They are great rods for the money. 150-175 each.

Posted Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:33 pm

Your best bet Mike is to get your hands on some of these rods you're interested in and spend a couple of hours fishing with them. So what are your plans this Saturday afternoon? Wink

Posted Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:52 pm

meatballs

Thanks Stratos, but I like the solid handle's any ideas?

St. Croix make another line with the solid cork handles. Here they are. http://www.stcroixrods.com/product/premier-casting.

IMO if you can spend more $$ and get 1 less rod do that insted of getting 1 more rod but a lower quality. I used to never think the rod mattered much. As long as it was the action i wanted, thats all that mattered. A quality rod makes all the difference in performance and durability. You can't beat a quality rod' warrentee either. St. Croix has a 5 year on that modle and a llifetime on the ledgend and premire lines. Send the broken rod and $20 and they send you a new rod. Their warrentee is here http://www.stcroixrods.com/category/service_and_warranty

Like Sinista said, Shimano is another great rod company. I use both St. Croix and Shimano. I use the Cumara line in Shimano's. Shimano also has a lifetime warrentee on rods with the same deal $20 and a new rod. No questions asked.
So you can buy a lesser rod use it and be happy. If it breaks just bu a new one or. You can go to a high quality rod, see the performance difference and know that if anything at all happens to it, the company will send you a replacement

Posted Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:31 am

Thanks for the heads up on the rods! Any comments on the Rezo reels?

Posted Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:33 pm

Do you mean Revo reels? I have one. I got it on sale at the end of last season when they were changing models. It was a $220 reel I got for $129. For $129 it's worth it. At $220 it was way over priced for what you got. I own 8 baitcasting reels, 7 are shimano curados. One of them is over 15 years old and going strong, 2 are 10 years old and have no problems and the rest are newer from this year and the last few. Same with spinning reels. I have 10 of them. All 10 are either Shimano Stradics or Symetres of different sizes. Reel for reel Shimano is the best IMO.

Posted Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:51 pm

I use Revo STX for heavier applications and Revo Premier for the lighter stuff. Both are great and I've had 0 problems. You can find both models for 20% or more off retail easily. I wouldn't spend that much on a reel otherwise. I have Shimano for spinning and agree with Stratos on the quality. I might get a Shimano baitcaster next year if I need one. I have only good things to say about both.

Posted Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:30 pm

stratos1966

Do you mean Revo reels? I have one. I got it on sale at the end of last season when they were changing models. It was a $220 reel I got for $129. For $129 it's worth it. At $220 it was way over priced for what you got. I own 8 baitcasting reels, 7 are shimano curados. One of them is over 15 years old and going strong, 2 are 10 years old and have no problems and the rest are newer from this year and the last few. Same with spinning reels. I have 10 of them. All 10 are either Shimano Stradics or Symetres of different sizes. Reel for reel Shimano is the best IMO.

I have only a single one of the green Curado (200E Series) from last year, and have nothing but good things to say about them. Not so fond of the changes to the lineup they made this year, at least on paper. The Curado got paired down, and the Chronarch seems to essentially be a repainted and slightly tweaked Curado E series for $20 more. They are good reels nonetheless.

If you are in the market for new reels, you can find this year's Curados on sale for 130-140 bucks new. I'd consider it a very good deal at that price.

I have a couple of Abu Garcias, one Black Max cheapo and a Revo Toro I got on sale last year. No complaints about the ~ $300 Toro but I also saved more than a hundred bucks on it. The Black Max is crap, you get what you pay for with that.

A word of caution on Quantum reels: They're advertised with 16-20 lbs of drag, but I find that the drag has loosened up significantly in a very short time. I had the washers replaced on an Energy PT reel, and I don't store my reels with the drag on. Yet it now seems to have less drag power than the Shimano rated around 8-9lbs. I have the same experience with a Catalyst PT that I purchased slightly used. It's making it very hard for me to try out the new Smoke reel even though I want to.

Posted Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:37 pm

I have 2 revo high speed reels and i like em! I have an old curado and i like it! I also have 2 team diawa baitcast reels that i like!
I had a quantum for one trip once and couldn't get rid of it fast enough!!!! Quantum sux!!!!! JMO.
I hear they are very well marketed and have a high manufacture rate but quality is low. KVD might use em but he can use a reel a day and throw em away.
ABu,Diawa,Shimano all good product

Posted Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:50 pm

Very true! thanks for all the help!

Posted Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:46 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links