Hey all I was thinking about all the Bass i've caught over the past year and talking with my uncle about the bass he has on his wall (roughly 8-10lbs.) I noticed a trend.

The bigger the bass (Weight-wise) the less of a fight I got out of the fish.

I say this because when in the weeds and on hot days I catch 2-3lb bass regularly in a private pond.

They put up a good fight diving in the weeds, jumping, thrashing their head just above surface (a few have even thrown the lure back at me lol.)

When I got my largest bass ever(for me) in Port Orange, Florida which was around 24inches and probably between 6-9lbs. This Bass bit my lure, got hooked, and let me reel it in.

No jumping, thrashing, pulling, absolutely nothing. Even when i pulled it out of the water with my hand no shaking. I spoke with my uncle on his Large Mouth Bass he has mounted and he said the same thing. (He caught his on Lake Garfield in Ma)

Is this common with the bigger LMB? Or is this a case of its so damn hot, spawning, and the bass was just exhausted before the fight?

Posted Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:04 pm

Both of the 7+ LMs I caught last year put up a pretty good fight. One went airborne before diving down deep (buzzbait.) The other one hit a frog in shallow weedy water and went ballistic running around the weeds.

I think it's probably pretty hit or miss, just like it is with smaller fish. Sometimes you get the fish up top and it gives up while you skate it in, sometimes they try to do somersaults all the way onto the boat and into the livewell or back into the water.

Posted Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:49 pm

I think it's a different fight. Hooking a 2lb lm on 10lb test and you have a good fight on your hands, put on 65lb power pro and there is no fight at all.
Smaller fish are fast and wirey, quick short bursts of power. Big Bass are all power. Try forcing in a 5+ lm on 10-12lb test mono and say goodbye 9 times out of 10.

Posted Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:36 pm

This is why when I fish for bass, I fish for smallmouth bass Wink

Posted Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:31 pm

I totally agree with Stratos1966, match the tackle to the size of the fish and its a whole new ball game, On Sunday I hooked on to at least a 6lb Largemouth ( I know because I got a half a dozen looks at her) in 30+ feet of water @ Big Sandy while fishing a drop shot on 6 lb test with a 7ft 2 Med Lite Shimano Crucial, I'd slowly work her in, she'd see the boat and peel off 50 yrds of line (and there was no stopping her)about 10 mins later she breeched and shook the hook, the power she had in open water was insane.

Posted Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:51 pm

Light line in open water can be a great fight. I must say i limit out at 8 lb test and i don't think that would be considered light by most. But it works for me at this time. I do use heavier braid in this cover but someday i might try some lighter lines and give the fish the edge.

Posted Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:41 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links