So I researched for a portable fish finder and got the PiranhaMax 160 PT by Hummingbird. Took the fishfinder last week for the first time, to test it out on Whitehall Reservoir. I tested the unit by placing the Transducer , inside the hull , using electrical putty well, and also using the suction cup to attach on the side of the kayak.

I could see the structure, depth readings and also FISH. So far so good. What I would like to know from my fellow users on this forum, of how to use the readings to cast your bait and get the fish bite. On my first trip, I did not succeed in this. I read online, that it takes some experience to translate the readings into getting the fish on your line. Can the wise share their experience and tips ?

Thanks all.

Trophykayaker

Posted Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:44 am

Fish finders generally create a false sense that fish will be caught. I look at a fish finder more for water temps, depths, structure, and depth of fish. I know structurally where fish will be. Once I find that structure with the fish finder then I can start fishing. As always start with the search baits for active fish then move on. If it's a tough bite perhaps park right on top and try jigging for a bite. As you fish more you'll get used to it. Is your model a dual beam?

Posted Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:50 pm

I'm no pro with electronics but i sat in a seminar once from Jimmy Houston.He said to turn off the fish id marker on the unit because it's just a gimic to the general public and your taking power away from the other areas of the unit that you really need.He also said to buy the unit with the most pixels you can.It's like a tv the more pixels the better target separation. It's not to say the unit you have is bad. I would use it to learn the structure around you and water temp and depth. A yeah also if the screen scrolls from right to left? The first 1/2 inch of the right side of your screen is current.The farther left it goes is past history.Hope this helps. I'm still learning this stuff myself.

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:28 am

and it can be quiet frustrating to rely on those boxes

u drive around and look for fish on the monitor instead of looking at the natural features of the water

if you see fish on the finder and you catch nothing u wonder why
(cause all it showed you was a floating tin can )

like above said structure, temps and depth especially if you are in a faster boat this will help not to trash the engine prop

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:42 am

Thanks all for sharing your experience. I will focus on using the structure, depth and temp readings. I did not get a chance since I posted to go out fishing, hopefully soon.

@outdoorsben - The unit I bought contains a dual beam transducer.

@jwall046 - Your tip on the first 1/2 inch of the screen being current makes sense. I think it also depends on the sensitivity setting on the unit? I will play around with the settings and share my experience.

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:10 am

Heres a tip. Don't do as I did. I was wondering why my reading where commming back all crazy. Telling me I was in 100+ ft of water when I could clearly see three or so feet. After researching I figured out I mounted my transducer with the sonar facing away from the boat instead of under the boat! Yea..... lol

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:24 am

I totally agree with the above post of shutting the FISH ID off it drives me nuts! BEEP, BEEP BEEP, BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEEP! AHHHHH!
I have a similar problem to the post on the depth being incorrect, except mine is the opposite. in anything under 5 ft my finder (hummingbird 570) reads 0.6 ft then when Im in deeper that 5 ft i reads incorrectly, for instance I can clearly see bottom in say 12 feet of water and my finder will read like 6 ft? any rememdy to that? Its a portable unit, i have a trolling motor mount tranducer and a transom mount both 20/60 dual beam that I switch the unit between depending if im trolling or motoring. both positions i get the same problem

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:07 pm

sinista

I totally agree with the above post of shutting the FISH ID off it drives me nuts! BEEP, BEEP BEEP, BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEEP! AHHHHH!
I have a similar problem to the post on the depth being incorrect, except mine is the opposite. in anything under 5 ft my finder (hummingbird 570) reads 0.6 ft then when Im in deeper that 5 ft i reads incorrectly, for instance I can clearly see bottom in say 12 feet of water and my finder will read like 6 ft? any rememdy to that? Its a portable unit, i have a trolling motor mount tranducer and a transom mount both 20/60 dual beam that I switch the unit between depending if im trolling or motoring. both positions i get the same problem

Is there a setting for salt water? I forget the # but maybe that's it?

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:02 pm

It's set to fresh water.

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:07 pm

sinista

Hmmm. Have you checked the depth offset? It sounds like it consistently is 5-6 feet shallower than actual. It's possible that you have the depth offset set to -5 or -6 feet for whatever reason.

Otherwise it sounds like a transducer issue. I *think* SamF has the same portable unit, and his seems fine. Maybe if you make it to one of the tournaments you can ask him about hooking up his transducer and see what happens.

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:58 pm

Depth offset hmm that's an idea to check out hopefully I can find it in the settings menu thanks and o may be making an appearance at a tourney very soon

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:15 pm

I would focus on using your "fishfinder" or better yet, sonar, to find underwater fish habitat:Structure:humps,depressions, creeks, drop-offs, underwater weed beds, rocks, bottom changes,etc. If you find fish, then great. Depending on where and how deep you're fishing, you can look for bait balls... My Humminbird does the same thing in shallow water, or weedy water, reads 0.6 feet when its clearly more. I have messed with the settings, with have to do some more messin' Laughing

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:08 pm

Found this helpful information on using Fish Finder -

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/fish-locator.html

Posted Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:06 am

GLO (Good Looking Out) KnobCreek now I dont feel so alone! thanks to trophy kayaker too gonna go check out that link now!

Posted Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:20 am

another thank you to trophy kayaker that link was so informative, feeling like these tips are really going to help!

Posted Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:04 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links