Here's a question for you guys. What's more important to you? Size or Numbers? When I first started bass fishin 3 years ago, numbers was definitely what floated my boat. But, this year I feel as if I have matured as a bass fisherman & only now look at size.

Just last week I went out Friday before work for 2-3 hours at my local honey hole. Got at the pond 5:15 am & it was thundering & lighting. Hung around for a hour, skies started to clear so, I put my boat in the water & headed for my summer hot spot. I quickly got 2 fish 2.8 & 3.7. Then the storms came back & ended my trip. Never bothered to post the trip for everyone to see, just myself. I like to use the stats feature for my personal overall season numbers.

Now don't get me wrong a 2.8 & 3.7 is a nice size fish ( if could only catch em in tourney when I needed em!) & it felt good to land them too. But, posting the trip felt like a another "good" trip . When I'm now looking for a "LUNKER" trip. I don't have very many trips where I'm reel em in left & right & I still get skunked too ( more often than that I like).

I think once you do land that LUNKER or fish of a life time, your always be searching for another one or maybe one even BIGGER!

Posted Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:36 pm

I'll take either. A day of 20 fish at 1-2 pounds is fun. But if I go out and only catch 1-2 big fish say over 3 pounds, I'm ok with that.

Posted Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:56 pm

I'm with you, I have found sometimes we go out and catch like 30 fish average size all day long, fun time. but I am after that mother of a pig to put on my wall, just one. i'm not talking 6-7 lber, i get that 9lber, it's getting hung.

I would rather catch one or two lunkers

Posted Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:09 am

I think what we're all saying is the 30 fish day w/ a 6 to 8lb range would be IDEAL ! lol

Posted Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:39 am

MY PERFECT DAY WOULD BE TO CATCH FISH ALL DAY WITH A FEW GOOD ONES IN THERE BUT IF I CAUGHT NOTHING ALLDAY AND NAILED ONE 4LB+ THAT MAKES IT ALL WORTH IT. I LIKE TO SEE HOW MANY TROPHY'S I CAN GET A YEAR AND AROUND HERE IT'S 4LBS AND UP!!!

Posted Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:45 am

yeah a nice mix of 10 fish and a fatty for the kicks

theres nothing worse then being on the water for 5 hrs and have not one bite

but that only makes me wanna go more often and i leave the pond thinking about next weekend

Posted Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:29 am

I find size more satisfying in general, for obvious reasons. But if I am out for a whole day I generally prefer numbers as long as they're not dinks. I'd typically take a dozen or more 1s and 2s than one 3 or 4. The switch flips around a real heavy 4 and up for me.

Of course, I still haven't actually broken 4 this year. So for the time being I'd probably take the one heavy fish over a dozen cookie cutters =)

Posted Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:51 am

Size is awesome and all and when I was able to get out 2 plus times a week it was more of a goal. But now with life (kids ,work and wife) I truly would rather fish a pond known for numbers with multiple ways to catch them than fish a couple of ponds in a day doing 1 technique to chase the hogs JMO.

Posted Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:20 pm

As a novice angler, definitely numbers. I still get excited every time i see a bass on my line so i might as well ride that high. Also, as a shore caster i'm usually out of reach of the lunkers hanging deep.

Posted Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:50 pm

I am hunting for that pig all the time , but i will take numbers hey smoke up here its over 51/2 so when u have some time give me a call .i will bring u to lake x where the hogs roam free. lol full moons u might need a sling for your arm after!last week 3 fish over 6lbs landed in the boat...thats a night!

Posted Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:21 pm

If you would tell me I could go out and catch 30 or catch 1 and have it be 6+. I'll take the 1 but like other have said, catch a bunch with a couple good ones (4+) mixed it is idle.

Posted Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:27 pm

Both...it is the nature of the beast really. I am happy with each and every fish, I say that honestly. I really do love the 5-10 pounders I catch just as much as the 30+'s. I have seen people get consumed by hunting the big one, the new personal best..to the point they got so frustrated with not getting it they basically went sour and burned out.

That said, we are fishermen..especially in the day of mostly catch and release angling, what do we have if not our brags about our fish. Not a one of us can claim to be here, not to show off, at least a little. SO yes, I refine my tactics, I learn every time I fish...I hunt for that one fish that will blow my mind and yours...

No one wants to blank either..how horrible a feeling is it when another angler walks by and asks " hows the fishing?" and your all like " ugh..sloooow!" This is where the numbers come in. That 8 pound carp swimming at the end of my line looks like a 50+ on a day with nothing else running...let me tell you.

I am truly, without a doubt 100% obsessed with fishing. I have been since i was 9 years old, which is now 25 years ago. It is my life, my addiction and my passion. I hope to never favor one fish over another and simply continue to enjoy every moment I get on the banks!

Posted Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:09 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links