Looking for some pointers on what to use and what to stay away from. I don't know the differance from any of it. I don't even know if it really matters either but I have noticed since I have put on this florecent bluish spyder wire on my spinning reel I havn't caught a dam thing with it. Maybe its just coicedence, but I still don't like it that much.

I'm looking to get some new line for a spinning reel and a baitcaster. The spinning reel is basically just used for unweighted worms. I use the bait caster for everything else. Just trying to figure out what works best for each setup.

Thanks,
Bruce.

Posted Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:27 pm

I've been using berkley trilene pretty much exclusivley only untill recently. I put some cajun red on my new carp/catfish setup that I actually kind of like, low memory and casts pretty good for 14lb line. Everything else I use is 10lb or less.

Posted Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:36 pm

I use spider wire, the invisi braid. on my baitcasters, love the stuff. i run like a 30lb for everything. i could use different lines for different things but, the majority of my fishing is from the boat, working shore out to the weed lines on the river and i find that heavy braid helps me get em to the boat.

my spinning reals i use berkley fireline crystal, love love love it

Posted Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:43 pm

johnnybag-a-bass

I use spider wire, the invisi braid. on my baitcasters, love the stuff. i run like a 30lb for everything. i could use different lines for different things but, the majority of my fishing is from the boat, working shore out to the weed lines on the river and i find that heavy braid helps me get em to the boat.

30lb!?!?!?!?! You may as well be fishing with a chain. What happened to being a sportsman and playing out a fish to land it?

Not knocking your style, just an observation.

Posted Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:50 pm

im a huge fan of trilene 100% fluro comes in light green and clear i dont have a favorite they are both great. and the suffix siege. and if you do any top water you want mono cuz it floats and when setting a hook you wont pull up weeds and lily's. for mono i use spider wire xxx mono. give us some more info on what you use and how you like to use your baits and we might be able to dial your line in even better!

Posted Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:57 pm

weldinghank

johnnybag-a-bass

30lb!?!?!?!?! You may as well be fishing with a chain. What happened to being a sportsman and playing out a fish to land it?

Not knocking your style, just an observation.

Johnny, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that because you're talking about braid, 30 lb is about the equivalent to 8 lb test mono in terms of diameter.

My personal choice is Spyder 10lb flouro.

Posted Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:07 pm

yeah your right sounds crazy but try pulling a 4lber out of 6 ft of weeds and you'll be glad your running that braid, and yeah it is like an 8lb diameter.

Posted Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:36 pm

50-65 lb braid for the slop and heavy cover for me. i agree with johnny. you need heavy line for specific techniques and applications. example: fishing frogs in pads and heavy cover. you need strong line to cut through the stuff, get a very hard hookset, and to be able to pull the fish up and out of the stuff. same goes for when you're throwing the thing into heavy bushes and trees or punching or pitching into heavy junk. 30 lb. braid won't work.

Posted Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:47 pm

I prefer the sensitivity of a small monofiliment. I have caught lots of and big fish on light tackle. Plenty of 5+ largemouths and 3+ smallies out of the crap up and down the charles on 10lb mono. Shopping carts, bridge pylons, lillys, rocks, sunken brush. All of it, just check the line frequently for abraions and you'll be set!

Again, I am not bashing or saying one style is better. Just saying light mono can do it if you don't want to spend $Texas on just line.

Posted Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:06 pm

I'm usually using the spinning reel for fishing worms. Throwing them in just about everything. Weeds, under docks, shoreline, underwater structures.

I've been using everything else in everything else with the baitcaster. Crankbaits in deeper to shallow, spinners in the same, weighted worms and recently started trying frogs in the weeds, and jigs. I've done some searching on how to use each thing, but nothing on what line to use.

I figure ill eventually get another baitcaster for some heavier line mainly for weeds. For now its more of an overall type seeing as those are the only two I have and I am still learning and trying differant things.

Posted Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:29 pm

General rule of thumb, 10# test line and above for baitcasters, and 10# test and less for spinning tackle. Also, it depends on the weight of your lure, heavier lures, generally baitcasters, lighter lures that require lighter lines, spinning tackle. But this is all generalities, but a good guide to start and figure out what you want and what works for you. Some people use all baitcasters, and some all spinning gear. Light tackle is fun, but as discussed, try fising heavy slop and weeds with light tackle and you may regret it after losing a hog! (or a great story if you land it!,lol). Use mono for top water (floats the best), and fluro for clear water/finesse, braid or heavy fluro for heavy cover, again rules of thumb. Everyone has different tastes and you have to figure out what works best for you. Good luck!

Posted Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:45 pm

Gonna have to agree with Sam and Johnny on this one. I run #50 Power Pro on my flipping stick for heavy cover, #20 Power Pro on my swimbait rod, the crankbait rod is spooled with flourocarbon for extra depth,I personally don't use alot of mono anymore although Chevin is right about it's value as a topwater line. Guess it all depends on your personal preference and the paticular fishing scenario your are dealing with.

Posted Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:06 pm

So to pretty much sum it up. Through out the rest of the season I am basically better off just trying differant things and see what I like the best.

Seems that everyone has there own likes and dislikes.

Thanks for the help guys.

Posted Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:58 pm

Before you know it you'll have 5 to 8 setups each with their own special combination of line, reel, rod and lure and you'll know what to use and how to use it. Just takes some time to try out new things but when you figure out what works best there's no better feeling after killing em all day. That's what keeps me coming back Very Happy I'm getting amped talking about it now!

This site and all you guys kick a** !! See ya on the water!

Posted Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:26 pm

This site and all you guys kick a** !! See ya on the water

well said bro, that's why i'm here

Posted Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:58 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links