Here I am just fishing Trilene 8lb "extra tough" mono(the blue box) either clear or lo vis green on my spinning reels. I've been trying differnt ones and found I liked it better than the 8lb spider wire or regular trilene 8lb or 10lb since it has less stretch, but now you guys are making me want to put some fluro or braided line on one of the reels. Smile

Posted Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:53 am

I use Berkley products (not that it matters) and this is my run down. I like mono for top water co-poly for shallow cranks floro for deeper cranks and clear water bottom fishing. I use braid and fireline as well. Basically trebles equal mono/copoly/floro for me and braid type line for the rest.

Spinning gear

Topwater 10lbs Berkley xl clear or green
Shallow crank 10lbs Berkley Sensantion green
Spinnerbait 14lbs Fireline
Buzzbait 14lbs Fireline
Frog 30lbs Fireline braid
Dropshot/jerkbait 8lbs 100% Floro 2nd spool 10lbs Fireline
Worm 14lbs Fireline 2nd spool12lbs Transition floro
Jig 30lbs Fireline braid 2nd spool 12lbs Transition floro
Senko 10lbs Firleline 2nd spool 10lbs 100% floro

Baitcasters

C-rig 30lbs Firleline braid with floro or coploy leader
punching 30lbs Fireline braid
big crankbaits 12lbs 100% floro
small/med swimbaits w/trebles 15lbs Biggame

Posted Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:09 pm

I'm using a 20 pound camo lo vis braid on my spinning reel, which is the same size as a 6 pound mono. I love it. Haven't lost a fish or got stuck on a lily pad since I switched.

Posted Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:00 pm

Sorry..I agree with using heavier line for heavy weed..but 30-50 pound..really? You'd tear a bass' mouth apart before you had to put that kind of pressure on a fish.

I've fished 20+ pound carp out of lakes like Ripple on the Blackstone that are nothing but weed with 15-20 pound line.

I've also landed up to 8 pound bass on a 8 weight fly rod that goes to a tippet of 12 pound through very weedy conditions and have never had line test become an issue. The only fish I lose are due to bad hook sets not broken line.

That said I don't really have a braid preference, even if I did most of em are not found here as I buy em mainly for carp fishing hook lenght.

For mono/co-polymer I like Mcoy. Mean Green is exactly that... Mean and green. Also Braid sucks in my opinion for fishing areas with sharper snags like rock ledges and heavy timber. It just doesn't hold up well to the abrasion that a good mono will.

Also wanted to comment about some of these gimmicks the fishing industry use. Seen that someone mention the Cajun Red line, which I do like, regardless...I find it neat that it says that red is the first color to disappear underwater which makes the line invisible but yet we should buy red hooks because the fish thinks our bait is bleeding. Fun right? Wink

Posted Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:49 pm

so true about the hooks and the line. They tell you what you want to hear. Just because a color drops off the spectrum does not make it invisible. It would just become black. Look at a tree at night in the dark, do you see green leaves ? No they are dark almost black. The leaves dont disappear and neither does red fishing line.

Posted Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:18 pm

when i see that blue line crap i have to puke - found a rod last week and had to take of 20 miles of some blue cheap stuff

clear or triline/fireline fiber stuff thats all i need
for the frog 12 lbs and 20 for the carp

Posted Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:43 pm

spiderwire mono 12lb test 8lb dia. Stuff kicksa@#

Posted Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:19 pm

One of the best fishing lines I have ever used, and still do is Silver Thread.......The two fish on my photo came on 8# line at the cape....Both were over 6.5.......Weed and rock covered area....

Posted Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:41 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links