Down at the local pond the other day and seeing lots of beds in the shallows, but nothing but sunnies/bluegills on them - does that mean the Bass have spawned already and left? Anyone else seeing bass sitting on beds yet? How long does it last usually once it does start - that is, how late into the spring/summer can you see bedding fish?

Posted Tue May 24, 2011 7:33 am

THEY MAY LOOK EMPTY BRO BUT CAST OVER THEM AND PULL IT THROUGH YOU WILL BE SURPRISED WHEN YOU FEEL THE STRIKE HIT. THEY ARE AROUND JUST NOT ALWAYS RIGHT ON THEM EARLY JUNE THEY SHOULD BE FINISHED!!!

Posted Tue May 24, 2011 7:39 am

definitely cast to them. I was out today, caught a 5.4 lber sitting right outside a bed and a couple 3 lbers the same way.

Posted Tue May 24, 2011 6:15 pm

everyones right cast at it and around it you'll get em

Posted Tue May 24, 2011 6:31 pm

Keep at it! I got a seven pounder this afternoon. I couldn't tell if she came from a bed though.

Posted Tue May 24, 2011 9:15 pm

Do you have polarized sunglasses? A bit pricey but an essential investment for site fishing. I've had good luck with jigs and I'm planning on testing a drop shot rig this week. The drop shot should be good because you can twitch the lure without actually retrieving the line.

Posted Tue May 24, 2011 9:29 pm

I read an article by Mike Iaconelli about a month ago. He said drop shots are an excellent and underrated spawn technique! I completely forgot I read it untill you posted that. I second the polarized glasses. HUGE difference. Walmart usually has a bin with $5 Berkeley and Strike King polarized shades of all different lense colors. I like my amber ones the most.

Posted Tue May 24, 2011 10:13 pm

bassmonkey21

Walmart usually has a bin with $5 Berkeley and Strike King polarized shades of all different lense colors. I like my amber ones the most.

Don't tell my fiancee that. She spent two bills on a pair of polarized Oakleys for me!

Posted Tue May 24, 2011 10:23 pm

I've got a pair of polarized Oaks too. Permanent loan from my uncle!!!

Posted Tue May 24, 2011 11:18 pm

whered u catch the 7 lber and watd u use?

Posted Tue May 24, 2011 11:57 pm

Thanks for the info lads - I guess next time out I'll just lob some casts into the beds and see what happens.

Posted Wed May 25, 2011 8:52 am

Hey guys, I'm still a newb when it comes to fishing, so I gotta ask.... how exactly do I identify a bed?

I understand spawning, I've got polarized glasses to see underwater, etc... just what exactly am I looking for?

Posted Wed May 25, 2011 11:24 am

Typically you're looking for an area that has been "cleared" of debris and much, exposing the harder bottom underneath. In a typical scenario, you'll see rough circles of lighter colored bottom against the regular dark stuff.

In practice, beds vary from one body of water to another, or even within different areas of the same pond, depending on bottom composition. You're essentially looking for areas that look different from the typical bottom, of a circular nature, and that looks "unnatural."

You'll typically find them in shallow water, but in clear water it's not unheard of to see beds in 5-10 feet or even more. Basically, if the sun can penetrate and heat up the water and bottom you may find a bed there.

You'll typically find beds in areas with a sand or gravel bottom, or some other type of firm bottom.

For some visual examples, search google images for "bass spawn bed".

Posted Wed May 25, 2011 12:30 pm

Thanks for the info. It's funny, there's so much info on-line about what to do when you find them, how to fish them, optimum water temps, etc... but not HOW to find them. Smile

Posted Thu May 26, 2011 1:32 pm

Look in shallow bay areas that recieve a lot of sunlight that also offer some protection from the wind. On a 100 acre pond near me most of the beds are on the eastern and northern shores in bay/cove type areas anywhere from 2-5 deep. But I also know another local pond where the beds are on the southernd end of the lake (both west and eastern sides) because this is where it is shallow, slightly protected, and receives sun. Just gotta get out there and investigate.

Posted Sun May 29, 2011 2:28 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links