Here is a question for you boaters. I have been putting in some time researching new to me fishing ponds and lakes. More often than not, I am able to find depth maps, but just about all of them list the stipulation "not to be used for navigation." Are there detailed maps available for purchase? My primary concern would be underwater hazards. Do you fish these waters with someone who is more familiar? Just take things super slow? Just hope for the best?<< not my best bet.

I know that collectively fish lots of water and i would be very interested in inderstanding your approach to boating new water.

Thanks,

Charlie

Posted Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:58 am

When i hit a lake/pond for the first time I usually move around very cautiously and take my time. Those maps are great for a reference. More often than not when I am fishing a new body of water, I launch and get on the trolling motor right at the ramp.

Posted Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:24 pm

That sounds Ike good advice. I only have a small boat and motor, so will be limited to the places I can fish. So, trolling motor a nd I guess monitor the pfishfinder.

Charlie

Posted Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:38 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links