Just stared fishing with a Bait Caster this year an I have been using the Cajun Red 12lb Mono line. I have only been fishing around Taunton area an like to fish my Frogs over lily pad's .
My biggest fish I got last year was 5lb Bass with Zebco Delta with the same line.
Now should I change over to Braided Line ? Do you cast further with Braided Line and how about knot tying? Any one better than the other , Thinking of going over to Bass Pro Shop but as you know there is probably dozens to choose an wouldn't thing where to start to looking .
I use every thing from Frogs,Wake Bait's,Crank Bait's,Spinners,Buzz Baits and all Plastic Baits,
Can you use lite lures with braided line an how about 10lb-20lb lines?
Any Pro an Con's advise would be helpful thanks.

Go Fish

Posted Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:44 am

I would suggest changing to Braided line. It has no memory and is very difficult to snap, so you wont lose the Lunker of your life if you ever set it. I think you are safe using 15-20lb test. The knots arent tough to tie, but make sure its tight, because Braid will unwrap itself on occasion (has not happened to me yet). Im not sure the impact of casting distance, but braid casts very smooth, as it has no memory, thus doesnt knot up as easily as mono.

Hope that helps

-Napa

Posted Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:10 am

To answer your question on what knots to use. I would use a Palamor knot. (I've been told it's the prefered knot for braided line. Here is a link to a site that shows you an animated diagram for the palomor knot. www.netknots.com/html/palomar_knot.html
I forget the brand I have but I have used it with spinner baits and soft plastics ( frogs and plastic worms) and have have had a lot of success. I hope this helps.

Chris[/url]

Posted Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:15 am

I like braid around heavy vegetation, like slops and thick pads. The weeds tend to conceal the otherwise visible braid, and the right braid can handle the extra junk you pick up fighting a fish around this stuff. As an added benefit, braid will actually cut lily pad stems with enough pressure which helps when fishing in and around them. For this type of fishing, I use anywhere from 30# to 50# braid. You can also use braid in stained water, but I would not use it in water with any decent visibility without a leader of fluoro or mono.

Castability is generally good with braid. Be mindful of the line wrapping around the guides, and avoid backlashes at all cost as those are a pain to clear compared to other line types. For knots, the Palomar should be good. I can't seem to tie a decent one, however, so I use a slip knot variation called the Fishin' Fool. If you're worried about the knot slipping or fraying, put a small drop of superglue on the knot itself and let it dry. Try not to glue the knot to the eye of the lure, though =)

Posted Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:56 am

agreed with everyone. i use power pro braid in 30 and 40 lb. no problem tying a palomar or even double palomar. just wet the line to give it some slippage when pulling the knot tight. i would also highly suggest learnnig the uni knot. some say it's even stronger than the palomar. plus, you will need to use a double uni to spool the line on or tie on a leader. it's not as difficult as it may seem. i wasn't using braid until a few weeks ago. i just looked the stuff up online and on youtube.

the basics

1. spool some mono to cover the entire base of the reel. this will prevent the braid from slipping around.
2. tie the mono / braid together using a double uni knot.
3. spool up the braid and either keep as is or tie on a fluoro leader in a similar diameter with a double uni or go with braid right to the lure.

get an idea of the diameter equivalents for different braid types.
http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=8455

Posted Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:50 pm

Agreed... I use 20 Lb. Berkley Fireline Braided Line (Smoke Color). I tell you what... it's very hard to snap that line and difficult at times to even cut it with a knife or scissors compared to mono or flourocarbon. Just be careful to make sure you have the proper eyelets on your rod for the use of Braided Line as it has been known to eat away at eyelets overtime!

Posted Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:44 pm

carpmaster

Agreed... I use 20 Lb. Berkley Fireline Braided Line (Smoke Color). I tell you what... it's very hard to snap that line and difficult at times to even cut it with a knife or scissors compared to mono or flourocarbon. Just be careful to make sure you have the proper eyelets on your rod for the use of Braided Line as it has been known to eat away at eyelets overtime!

what type of eyelets are better for braid? what ones will get worn down? my rods have hard aluminum-oxide guides with double-plated black chrome frames or fuji hardloy. are those fine?

Posted Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:34 pm

Yeah, you should be fine with those ones!

Posted Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:45 pm

cool thanks. i figured but better safe than sorry.

Posted Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:47 pm

I found a tool that cuts braid like nothing...if I didn't have one, I would probably go nuts...its a eagle claw split ring plier with a braid cutter on it. got it at Dick's for like 7 bucks. i bought it for use as a split ring plier...which is an invaluable tool if you have to change hooks or blades or whatever...but the braid cutter makes it worth every penny.

Posted Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:15 pm

stay away from Spiderwire EZbraid - I was using 30# test and had little pickerel cut me off repeatedly... which had never even happened with mono! I switched to 12lb Vicious fluorocarbon and have absolutely thrilled with the results.

If I try braid again, I'm gonna go with Power Pro.

Posted Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:57 pm

I should be OK with a 10LB Power Pro Braid or do they make a 12lb

Nice running in to you there tony93 witch I could have talk longer but had to get home for my son getting of the school bus.

Posted Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:00 pm

inkslinger

I should be OK with a 10LB Power Pro Braid or do they make a 12lb

Nice running in to you there tony93 witch I could have talk longer but had to get home for my son getting of the school bus.

yeah, same here, my friend. Good to finally meet you. I moved down abit after you left and caught a pretty big bluegill - which was the ONLY bite I got all day! After that I went and picked up my wife from work and she wanted to stop by and make a few casts, so we did... and she caught a bass on a swimbait! It was just a little one, but she got him. *facepalm* She beat me again... Crying or Very sad Laughing Laughing

Power Pro comes in 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 40, 50, 65, 80, and 100lb tests

According to the package, the 15lb test is the same diameter as 4lb mono! That's killer. Here's a link:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_44282____SearchResults

Here's a review from the Bass Pro Shops site on PowerPro from someone who sounds like he knows what he's talking about:

"It took a heartbreaking breakoff with mono line at Choke Canyon to solidify my switch over to braid. I just didn't want to spend the little bit of extra money on the PowerPro, but that big fish pushed me off the fence.

I see some negative comments about PP on here, and I think that the backlashing and knotting issues are due to the reel settings and the size of line being used.

On most baitcasters, you need to use 40-60 lb PowerPro, which has about the diameter of 12lb monofiliment. Spinning reels should have 15-30 lb PowerPro. Using PP thats too thin on a baitcaster will cause backlashes with more knots.

However, when paired correctly with your reel, PowerPro actually causes LESS backlashes than mono. I have taught many of my friends to cast a baitcaster, and they always do better with my reels that have 50lb PowerPro.

As for the quality, it is second to none! I used to change out my 14lb Trilene mono at least three times a year as it would get frayed and stretched down here in South Texas. With PowerPro, I only have to change my line every 3 or 4 years!

Therefore, you might pay more for a spool of PP, but its MUCH cheaper in the long-run!"

I'm sold - I'm gonna put it on the spinning reel.

Posted Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:07 pm

i have had 1 problem with backlash. it was my fault for not thumbing on the baitcaster. i use 30 and 40 lb though but i have seen many people use braid on spinning reels. i haven't used other brands but i know power pro is some of the best out there. look around on all the major retail places and you can usually find it on sale. i stocked up when it was basically $5 off a spool.

Posted Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:15 pm

samf

agreed with everyone. i use power pro braid in 30 and 40 lb.

get an idea of the diameter equivalents for different braid types.
http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=8455

Power Pro
US Sizes

SIZE (lb.) DIAMETER (in) ~ Mono Equivalent
8 / 1
10 / 2
15 / 4
20 / 6
30 / 8
40 / 10
50 / 12
65 / 16
80 / 18
100 / 20
150 / 30
200 / 50
250 / 80

So does this mean that a 40lb Braid Line is the same size as a 10lb Mono Line???

Go Fish

Posted Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:19 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links