inkslinger

samf

agreed with everyone. i use power pro braid in 30 and 40 lb.

get an idea of the diameter equivalents for different braid types.
http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=8455

Power Pro
US Sizes

SIZE (lb.) DIAMETER (in) ~ Mono Equivalent
8 / 1
10 / 2
15 / 4
20 / 6
30 / 8
40 / 10
50 / 12
65 / 16
80 / 18
100 / 20
150 / 30
200 / 50
250 / 80

So does this mean that a 40lb Braid Line is the same size as a 10lb Mono Line???

Go Fish

correct. it should have the same line diameter. it's stronger of course and has the braid properties but it's good to measure up when you're trying to match leader.

Posted Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:32 am

I use 10lb braid exclusively on my small finesse spinning rods. I have tried most brands and none is perfect, but the suffix performance braid is superior to the others. it casts further with less knots and the knots are easier to get out. power pro would be my second choice.

Posted Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:51 pm

I usually use suffix but dicks was out of the test I usually use and many others in both directions (up and down) so I got the p pro and liked it a little better, a little better handling.

Posted Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:01 pm

Could you use swivels clips with Braided Line or Leaders , or is it just better to Tie the Lure , When I go out I will sometimes go thru my whole tackle box of lures?

Posted Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:40 pm

inkslinger

Could you use swivels clips with Braided Line or Leaders , or is it just better to Tie the Lure , When I go out I will sometimes go thru my whole tackle box of lures?

i've done the floro leader before but i usually just go braid to lure directly in the waters i fish. i haven't had any problems or fewer bites so far i don't think. I switch frequently too and clip the braid with pliers with the cutters or whatever. i have those BPS brand but i'm sure many versions have them. i just clamp down a few times and it will cut it cleanly.

Posted Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:43 am

Suffix braid is the only one I use. I started using it a couple of years ago and love it on my baitcasters. Also I tie directly to what I'm using. Why have something in line that can fail? I haven't tried braid on my spinning gear, on them I use Suffix Elite exclusively.

Posted Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:57 am

I use 20 lb spider stealth on fw spinning and 30 lb Tufline XP on light SW, 50 lb Tufline XP on heavy SW. Can't complain about any of them. Stealth is the stiffest right out of the box and loses it's bright green coating and fades to a dull green pretty quickly. I never use leaders and use swivels to hook on to lures (topwater and crankbaits). Tie on directly for buzz/spinner/frog/plastics.

Posted Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:09 pm

How about color Braided Line , Yellow ,Red, Green ? Does it make a difference, I use Red Mono Line with no problem.

Posted Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:16 am

inkslinger

How about color Braided Line , Yellow ,Red, Green ? Does it make a difference, I use Red Mono Line with no problem.

supposedly red is the color that disappears the fastest underwater, hence the proliferation of red lines out, but I'm not experienced with em myself, just passing on info. But if that's true, then there goes the theory about red hooks, eh? Question

I'm now using fluorocarbon on my spinning reel as well. It's Berkley Vanish 100% fluoro in 8lb test. It's much more supple than the 12# Vicious fluoro I have on my BPS baitcaster, but it is a lighter test.

I still haven't gotten around to getting some PowerPro yet for my baitcaster... but I will.

Posted Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:50 am

So here's a (dumb?) question on braid: If I wanted to use powerpro on a spinning reel, say 20-30# for argument's sake, would I spec out a reel rated for 6-8# mono? Or stick with a heavier reel and just spool a crapload of braid onto it?

Thanks!

-G

Posted Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:06 pm

Yes !!!!

Posted Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:17 am

yah, use the lighter reel. Unless your using a larger rod set up and your goal is to cast further, which would be aided by a longer rod and wider reel, and you don't feel the need to put the more expensive/heavier line on.

Posted Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:44 am

yeah, it's the diameter of the line that you need to go by - if a reel is rated for 6-8# mono line, then get the braid that is that equivalent, which will actually probably be 20# or 30# test(or more), depending on the brand...

Posted Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:04 am

"supposedly red is the color that disappears the fastest underwater"

Yep Red drops off the spectrum first, it then appears black, not invisible. Marketing hype is all it is.

Posted Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:39 am

kman

"supposedly red is the color that disappears the fastest underwater"

Yep Red drops off the spectrum first, it then appears black, not invisible. Marketing hype is all it is.

Yeah; even the Power Pro website says that it simply goes to gray sooner than other colors....

Posted Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:46 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links