47%  [ 10 ]
Flouro
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
Braided
28%
 28%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 21

Right now I use braided line as opposed to the mono I grew up using. I love the braided line right now as it casts smoother and gets in less knots but other than that I don't really know the distinction between them when it comes to actually fishing.

I know there is some flexibility in one or the other and/or one of them sinks faster or something. I'm not really sure. Any of you guys have any insight?

Posted Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:06 pm

I use mono, but I need braid.

I need to use a heavy braid due to the bass being enormous in MA where I usually go fishing. Plus smallies can break mono easily like one did (and got away)

Posted Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:47 pm

riderer123

I use mono, but I need braid.

I need to use a heavy braid due to the bass being enormous in MA where I usually go fishing. Plus smallies can break mono easily like one did (and got away)

you could use stronger mono...

I like braid cuz I fish a lot of weeds and always have fish dive back into them. most lines would snap off in the thick stuff. it also doesn't birds nest my bait caster like mono does.

Posted Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:34 pm

I use Suffix mono on my spinning gear and Suffix braid on my baitcasters. Lately I have been using my spinning gear more with some finesse presentations.

Posted Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:16 am

use copoly and braid, depending on the situation. I have two spools and can switch back and forth. The copoly is a mono core with a fluoro coating. Use braid for lily pads and heavy weeds, when worm fishing. Use copoly when throwing lighter lures and topwater fishing.

Posted Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:40 am

why do people only use braid when fishing in the weeds? what's the advantage of using mono or flouro or copoly when fishing lures?

Posted Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:01 am

heron25

use copoly and braid, depending on the situation. I have two spools and can switch back and forth. The copoly is a mono core with a fluoro coating. Use braid for lily pads and heavy weeds, when worm fishing. Use copoly when throwing lighter lures and topwater fishing.

i do as well. i always use the copolymer with fluoro coating except when fishing the pads and slop. then i use braid.

atelian

why do people only use braid when fishing in the weeds? what's the advantage of using mono or flouro or copoly when fishing lures?

braid is strong and sharp so it will easily cut through the weeds without snags, tangles, and damage to the line. it's basically easy to fish in the heavy stuff. one negative is that it is generally more visible to fish so it's tougher in clear water or open water. if this is the case, most people put a fluoro leader on the braid. if you're pitching jigs into tree branches or something like that most people will use braid or really strong fluoro instead of mono which isn't as tough.

the other "clear" lines are generally an all around line but not really suited for the heavy stuff. mono has more bend or memory than fluoro so a lot of people use it for topwater or even when cranking. setting the hook is more "forgiving" than when using a stronger, less bend line like fluoro. people sometimes find 100% fluoro too stiff and hard to cast especially on a spinning reel. i believe it sinks faster too.

i have a feeling heron is using something like P line floroclear which is the copolymer with fluoro coating. i exclusively use this b/c i think it is the best of both worlds (mono and fluoro) - it is stronger than mono, it is nearly invisible under water, it has almost 0 stretch and memory, but it isn't as stuff and hard to tie etc.

i know i'm missing a lot of points in here but that's sort of a general idea.

these links give some good information

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPage?mode=article&objectID=29436&storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPage?mode=article&objectID=31231&storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1

Posted Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:53 am

Right now I use mono... 8 lb test clear blue Stren. I've used it for years and love the stuff.

Although I am looking forward to trying out braid for the first time very soon. Ideally I'd like to have two set-ups soon, one with braid and one with mono.

Posted Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:12 pm

The only time I really don't use the braid is when I fish really clear water or if it's bright sun out and the braid will stand out easily. THe braid is super sensitive which is nice. The copoly I use is usually lighter test, 6 or 8 lb, on a spinning outfit. I use a brand called Carbotex, which I got 1000 boxes of for free, no joke. They gave me everything from 6 lb to 17 lb of the stuff. I sent a couple of guys free samples of the stuff. Stiff out of the box, but it breaks in nice and I can't imagine going back to regular mono for anything above 6 lbs. I use 2 lb stren in moss green for my ultralight trout setup on a spinning rod. The braid I use is Stealth in 20/6 on my fw setup, tuffline xp 30/8 for light sw/heavy fw and Stealth 50/10 for heavy sw use.

Posted Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:09 pm

have always used mono, but would like to try braid one of these days. just tough to switch from old habits. currently using bass pro shop brand 12 lb. very impressed with the quality for the price. better than i thought it would be. and for low memory, i find it to be better than some of the premium brands.

Posted Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:37 pm

When I'm fishing heavy weed, or pads I use 30-40 lb braid. Mostly on spinning gear with a 7 ft med-heavy rod. I don,t put on a flouro, or mono leader, between the changeover, and the knot, you get hung up too much in the crap. ususally if your fishing heavy weed, the line is not seen as in clear water......... When fishing clear or stained I use 8 lb flourocarbon on spinning gear, and between 12 lb and 17 lb flouro on my baitcasters. I prefer flourocarbon over mono because of less streach, ant much better abrasion strength. 8 lb flouro is as strong as 12 lb mono.

Posted Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:44 pm

I use all three.
Braid- Heavy weeds, jigs
flouro- jigs, worms, clear water, most lures
mono- topwater

Posted Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:00 pm

i use spiderwire mono. 12lb it has the diameter of 8lb casts great and strong ,i have caught some pigs on this stuff. last night6lb 1oz i use alot of jigs with this stuff . great line check it out

Posted Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:17 pm

hows the stretch and memory

Posted Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:21 pm

awesome !little to no memory, i hook everything, so very little stretch. check it out money back endorsement fish with this stuff eveyday 4 the last 2 years so sensitive too

Posted Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links