years ago(mid-90s) I saw this on the Roland Martin show and I tried it - and man, what a fish catcher! Maybe you've done it, maybe you haven't - if you haven't, you should try it... it's called 'the bubblegum worm technique'(anyway, that's what Roland called it). It's primarily for fishing aquatic weed growth, but it works in sparse cover as well. Here's how to rig it:

- first, get a pack of Zoom Trick worms - preferably bubblegum color (I know, it seems crazy in today's world of green pumpkin/everything, but it WORKS!) These worms float, and that's part of the technique.

**I find it best to use this with spinning gear, as it's quite light in weight - you could use it on baitcasters if you prefer, but it's gonna be kinda hard to cast.

- on your main line coming from your rod/reel, tie on a a 3/0 wide gap hook(no sinker!) & rig the worm weedless Texas style. If the cover is sparse, you can also rig it 'Tex-posed'.

- now, pull out about two feet of line and cut it off - you now have your worm at the end of a 2 ft leader.

- now connect your main line and your leader/worm with a good quality swivel.

main line>swivel>leader>worm

How to use it:

Anywhere you've got weeds, even thick places where you would most likely throw a topwater frog, this will work! Simply cast it out and slowly stop/start, twitch it, let it rest... be random, not mechanical. If you come to a hole in the grass, let it sit for abit, then give it a twitch without really moving it horizontally. When they grab it, give it just a second, then cross his eyes. Laughing Because it's working very close to the surface, you get to SEE the strike 90% of the time... so it's wicked fun too!

In sparse cover, I tend to work it with my rod tip down - in thick weeds, I keep my rod tip up high.

As I said before, it works great in weeds, but it works well in sparse cover too. It's also a GREAT spawn-bedding technique as you can throw it out and just let it lay - the worm will float, or if you're using a heavier hook, sink ever so slightly... don't be afraid to throw it right where the water meets the bank - you'd be surprised how shallow fish can get. It's a very NON-threatening presentation, and that's the key on why it works so well. Also, because it's soooo weedless, you can throw it spots nobody in their right mind would throw! LOL

Give it a shot - you might just catch a PIG of a bass.

Posted Fri May 21, 2010 10:54 am

This is great Tony.
I figured out this technique years ago totally by mistake. My buddy and i were fishing out of a canoe and ran out of a bag of those trick worms in no time. we always told people about it and i don't think they believed us. But now i carry them in a soft jerkbait and a floating worm.
Great info, I'm glad someone else has seen how good these can work.

Posted Fri May 21, 2010 2:41 pm

jwall046

Great info, I'm glad someone else has seen how good these can work.

same here! I remember seeing that years ago, but haven't really heard about it in a long time... sometimes, 'old' is 'new', and just might nab some bass that have gotten wary from fishing pressure.

Posted Fri May 21, 2010 8:58 pm

Hey guys,
I just picked up a bag of trick worms because they are super cheap, haha. I think a bag of 20 was like 3.99. I was just wondering, what is the purpose of the swivel/leader set up. why can't you just tie it to your mainline? I usually run braid all the when I'm fishing worms weedless, no weight. I let throw them into pockets and just let them sink. is that the same thing you're talking about in this thread? or do they just float in the pockets?
also, have you tried fishing them texas rigged or on a shakey head??

thanks!

Posted Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:15 pm

I had the same ? why the swivel?is it a line twist thing? seems like a weak point in the rig

Posted Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:38 pm

zoom trick worms dont float either. i bought them hoping to use them on a floating tail shakey head and was dissapointed. untill I fished them weightless and now they are one of my favorite worms.

Posted Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:36 pm

bam

I had the same ? why the swivel?is it a line twist thing? seems like a weak point in the rig

yeah, it minimizes line twist. I wouldn't worry about that being a weak point, as long as you use quality terminal tackle and tie good knots...

Posted Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:55 pm

The zoom magnem finesse worms are killer. They dont float but if you hook them just off center the right way, they fall 1 foot horizontal for every 4 inches downward. I can never find the colors I like but they work killer and better than a senko in my opinion.

Volume...the bass crush these things in the Aberjona river.

Posted Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:30 pm

awesome, we'll see how they do...I wouldn't mind saving $3-4 each time by buying these instead of senkos... thanks all.

Posted Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:20 am

I just got some mag finnesses and they are great. I could only find black and junebug but those are my 2 fav colors anyways. clear and dirty water.

Posted Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:29 pm

yeah forget yamamotos trick worms and ochos are way better and cheaper. esp the ochos, I got an 8 lb bass yesterday on a junebug ocho 5''

Posted Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:31 pm

wow man 8 lbers and 10 pounders you're killing them this year

Posted Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:39 pm

8 pounder?? nice...pics? if I got an 8 I would take pics of every angle of that fish, haha.

Posted Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:58 pm

kman

wow man 8 lbers and 10 pounders you're killing them this year

I know I must sound like an idiot goin on about it, but yes this is def my best year as far as big bass go. Thats funny i did take about 10 pics of every possible angle! Those two fish are probabaly braindead now they were out of the water for so long. JK they're ok. Im gonna put my pics up tommorow. My brother has a pretty good quality camera phone with most of the pics on it. Hes gonna come by and hook it up.

Posted Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:18 am

Congrats man,sounds like a good shot at gold pinner.Did you weigh it in?I've been fishin for thirty years and got some pins but my 9yo daughter is the only one in the family with a gold LOL (2009 youth hornpout)

Posted Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:23 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links