I love this site, I check the updates every week. While searching the internet I found a new blog with more bass fishing spots. It's not nearly as expansive, with only 20 spots to date, but he's updating it quickly and the info is really accurate and has customized maps. I suggest you take a look.

www.massbassfishin.blogspot.com

Good luck!

Posted Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:30 pm

nice i'd love to see maps like that integrated on here

Posted Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:10 pm

pretty in depth write ups and maps...its almost too much, takes the mystery out of fishing a new spot Confused

Posted Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:50 pm

Being a competitive person by nature, this site has brought up some questions i've been thinking about for some time and would love some feedback:

If i add the ability to plot lines and polygon features to the Map View tab, do you see value there? So for example give users the ability to ploy lilly pad locations, tree structure, contours, etc. Or do you think the current functionality with just plotting point features enough?

I want to give you guys as many tools as possible to plot and learn about MA Fishing, so any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave O

Posted Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:49 pm

Hey Dave,

I think that would be pretty sick, especially for those who dont have fishfinders. It would possibly allow us to see where some structures are in deeper waters.

I love this site as it is, so any upgrades would be a bonus.

Thanks Dave

Posted Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:55 pm

I think plot lines and polygons are great but you have to keep in mind that "structure" can change over time. A feature that exists in one year can cease to exist in another. So I would suggest some method of aging and archiving the trip details that change over time so that they don't continue to mislead users researching a particular fishing spot.

Posted Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:52 pm

thorn168

I think plot lines and polygons are great but you have to keep in mind that "structure" can change over time. A feature that exists in one year can cease to exist in another. So I would suggest some method of aging and archiving the trip details that change over time so that they don't continue to mislead users researching a particular fishing spot.

This sounds difficult to do...not sure how you do this over time.

I think the current way things are on the site are ok. call me old fashioned, but if you tell everyone where every weedbed, lily pad, and deep structure is, you might as well just throw the fish in their boats as well. all you'd have to do is pick the right lure and you'd be good to go. I'm not saying I wouldn't enjoy catching more fish, who wouldn't, but I wouldn't it find it that much of a sport if I knew exactly where to go on a new lake to catch fish. this might be different because I usually fish lakes that I can cover in a kayak during a day. If i was fishing the Quabbin or Winnipesaukee in NH, I would defintely be looking for guidance.

Posted Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:23 pm

it would be nice to at least have some options of pointing out where parking and boat or launch access are. not sure about anything complex but at least marking the spots on a map accurately would be cool and helpful i think. i guess i have no preference about structure or weed / pad spots. i know where the hot spots are at many of the small places i go to most, but it would be nice at huge places. i don't think most people would give away exact locations of every key stump, lay down, or rock pile though. definitely want to hear what other people think on this.

Posted Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:56 pm

Currently you can plot boat launch areas on the Map View tab. This is a feature that i have probably not marketed very well, as very few have used it. If you click Map View, you will see some editing tools that allow you to at least mark a point and plot launches, marinas, parks, tackle shops, etc. I will work to make this more user friendly.

Thank you for all the great recommendations on this feature. I will put some more thought into it and see what i come up with. In the mean time i will continue to work on my Android, IPHone, and Blackberry MA Fish Finder apps Very Happy

Dave O

Posted Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:04 pm

Ok heres my 2 cents. I want to find spots, humps, trees, weedlines, etc. I want to try new tecniques, new lures, to figure out what their hitting. i like to fish ,and when i catch ,i like to feel like i did my home work too catch those fish. sometimes their is too much info.

Posted Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:04 pm

might be a good idea to limit what guests can see. They should not be able to see trips and get info without at least becoming a member

Posted Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:15 pm

kman

might be a good idea to limit what guests can see. They should not be able to see trips and get info without at least becoming a member

I agree with that..maybe there is somehow where they can see where the trips are, but not the details? everytime I sign on, it says there are almost 20 people using the site, but only 2 users...might entice people to stop lurking!

Posted Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:54 am

Im all for that as well. Most people who are members share info, so its not an issue if they check trips, find hots spots. Give a little, get a little. But those who just come to the site and take info without being a member, and dont give anything back should be shut down

Members only!!

Posted Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:10 pm

people still might just sign up with whatever info, have a blank profile, post 0 trips and just leech off other people's information. just something to think about.

Posted Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:16 pm

good call sam

Posted Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:25 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links