wow... I just broke my personal best on largemouth bass!

I found a wicked looking spot - never been there before, although I HAVE noticed it while scanning Google Earth, but had no idea how it was in real life. I was actually on my way somewhere else when I spotted that spot. I started with my old faithful spinnerbait, and 3 casts later... THIS:

(click for full view to see the measuring tape)

WOOHOOO!!! he was just a shade over 22 inches long - estimated weight: 6.52 pounds!

I knew he was a good one when he snagged my spinnerbait, but man, I had no idea he was gonna be my best ever... when I got him out of the water, I knew he was at least 5 pounder...

YES!!!!!

edit: by the way - I released him back into the water - and I have it on video - coming soon.

***check down in the thread for the video!

Last edited by tony93 on Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:09 am; edited 2 times in total

Posted Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:53 pm

Congrats Tony, now youv'e really been bitten by the bass bug, lol
watch out folks he's on a mission now.
nice work man, what kind od spinner bait, color specs tandem willow, single colorado? lets hear it . edge of pads, in heavy cover. was it fluttering down when it hit, did it come out from a log. talk to us damnit, gory details, lol
nice work bro!

Posted Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:27 pm

HEY HEY TONY.....NICE JOB BRO!.....6.52lbs....THATS AWESOME

Posted Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:50 pm

it was a Bass Pro Shops Lazer Eye spinnerbait - 3/8oz, white/crystal skirt, dual nickel willow blades, on 12lb Vicious 100% fluorocarbon, Bass Pro Shops MegaCast 6' baitcasting combo

He darted out of submerged vegetation right in front of me, grabbing the lure on the last 15 feet of a retrieve, so I batted this bruiser on a short line and man, what a fight! He didn't jump, thank the fishing gods, or I might not have landed him... I just played him nice and easy until I could get my hand in his mouth. It's been a loooong time since I caught a fish this big - wait a minute, I've never caught a bass this big!! LOL My previous best was a 6 pounder caught - ironically enough - on a spinnerbait back in Oklahoma.

Wow, what a day!

Posted Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:57 pm

Tony

6.52 lbs great fish !!!

So i guess the next question is does the spot hold one 7 lbs Question

Good luck

Ed

Posted Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:34 pm

{He darted out of submerged vegetation right in front of me, grabbing the lure on the last 15 feet of a retrieve}

I call that being banged like a storm door in a huricane, hehe

Posted Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:40 pm

WoW !!! great job!!

Posted Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:05 pm

Great fish Tony!
Congrats.
I actually caught my first 5 lber on a spinnerbait and the second.
Hope ya get another

Posted Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:44 am

Nice fish! Is it going on the wall?

Posted Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:53 am

thanks guys! Nope, no wall fish - but I did get pics, measurements & video, and released him back to fight again another day. If it was an 8 pounder or so, I probably would have kept him to be mounted.

Here's the video I finally got edited together, including his release:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zWzb5oUsJs[/youtube]

I knew it was at least a 5 pounder - but when I realized it was even bigger than that, I was floored!

Is that an oxymoron? A fisherman that underestimates a fish's weight? LOL Laughing

Posted Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:58 am

Wow, congrats Tony on the Career Larry. Thing is a PIG

Did you actually weigh it, or was the 6.52lb an estimation from that Texas weight chart you refer too?

Posted Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:24 am

Nice catch! That's a hell of a bass. I really have to start throwing spinners more often. I'm not into the big/fast lure movement yet. Got a box of spinners and rubber frog baits, but don't throw them much. After seeing your catch Tony, gotta throw them more. Nice work.

Posted Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:06 am

napa

Wow, congrats Tony on the Career Larry. Thing is a PIG

Did you actually weigh it, or was the 6.52lb an estimation from that Texas weight chart you refer too?

yeah, that's an estimate from the chart of a fish 22 1/8th inches long:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/recreational/catchrelease/bass_length_weight.phtml

man, I wonder what it would've weighed in early April before the spawn? Shocked (although I really have no idea if it's male or female)

Posted Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:35 am

that's a great fish bro, but i think your estimate is a tad high but still a great fish

Posted Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:38 pm

Tony that is a great fish by anyones standards. I'm not trying to be a killjoy here but that fish is not 6 and probably not even 5.

Look at napa and angler21 collection of 5's and 6's and you will know what I mean.

I only bring this up because I am a big believer in the lengh girth estimates being bunk.

Its an awesome bass regardless.

Posted Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:35 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links