hey guys, anyone ever catch any native brook trout in mass?? I wanna go fish some small streams for native trout, and was wondering if anyone has ever done it, but anywhere is fine, rivers, lakes, I'm very interested in trying to catch one this year. Thanks.

Posted Wed May 27, 2015 5:04 pm

In short, yes. Mass has plenty of natives, but many of the streams that have them have stocked brookies too. You rarely will find natives in ponds.

Nobody is going tell you where to find them... not trying to be a jerk, but these spots are hard to find and people put in a lot of time doing it. Of course I'm not referring to you, but tell the wrong people, and these spots tend to get ruined quickly.

But, you can find spots with a little work. Look in forests that have streams, scout on Google Maps, etc.

If you want, check out my blog - www.blogflyfishma.com
I don't really write anymore, since I moved to CA, but another great guy took over. But look in the oldest posts and there's a ton of stuff I wrote about native brookies. Mostly fly fishing, but everything can be applied to small rods and worms if you prefer that. I even gave away a few spots that have them... read carefully Wink

Troy

Posted Wed May 27, 2015 5:17 pm

teamtrout

In short, yes. Mass has plenty of natives, but many of the streams that have them have stocked brookies too. You rarely will find natives in ponds.

Nobody is going tell you where to find them... not trying to be a jerk, but these spots are hard to find and people put in a lot of time doing it. Of course I'm not referring to you, but tell the wrong people, and these spots tend to get ruined quickly.

But, you can find spots with a little work. Look in forests that have streams, scout on Google Maps, etc.

I don't really write anymore, since I moved to CA, but another great guy took over. But look in the oldest posts and there's a ton of stuff I wrote about native brookies. Mostly fly fishing, but everything can be applied to small rods and worms if you prefer that. I even gave away a few spots that have them... read carefully Wink
I will definety check it out. I know it's a long shot to have anyone give up spots, but I figured it was worth it. I want to find some places that are a real hike into the woods that are every secluded and free from other people and civilization. I will definety be on the search this summer. Thanks for the help!
Troy

Posted Wed May 27, 2015 5:51 pm

teamtrout

I just spent time reading a majority of UR posts on your blog, and just have one question. Do most of the small steams and brooks you discover in the woods hold fish?
Troy

Posted Wed May 27, 2015 6:12 pm

Glad to help! Like I said, I did give out a few spots on old posts on the blog, but most are in the northeast. I don't know where in MA you are, so they may not help you. Where are you in MA? I may be able to at least point you in the direction of some trout...

Posted Wed May 27, 2015 6:15 pm

teamtrout

Glad to help! Like I said, I did give out a few spots on old posts on the blog, but most are in the northeast. I don't know where in MA you are, so they may not help you. Where are you in MA? I may be able to at least point you in the direction of some trout...

I'm in southeast mass, in Bridgewater, but I am willing to take a drive if necessary. I'm only about 25 minutes away from plymouth

Posted Wed May 27, 2015 6:21 pm

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/hunting-fishing-wildlife-watching/fishing/northeast-district-stocking-.html

These are all the spots that get stocked if ur interested. I mostly fish trout up in maine so I don't know any native spots in mass, but I'm sure u will catch some in some of these spots that get stocked.

Posted Wed May 27, 2015 6:30 pm

jake_chiasson45

I mostly fish trout up in maine so I don't know any native spots in mass, but I'm sure u will catch some in some of these spots that get stocked.

I'm not sure if you just phrased this strangely, but stocked trout are definitely NOT natives... LOL

Posted Wed May 27, 2015 6:41 pm

There are some natives in most stocked streams, but you will more likely get stockies. Unstocked streams are a better bet if you purely want natives.

Posted Wed May 27, 2015 6:42 pm

Haha ya. I don't really know why I put that out there. I was just thinking that if he can't find any native trout he can at least catch some stocked trout.

Posted Wed May 27, 2015 6:48 pm

yep there out there! i know of a few. but im not telling.

Posted Thu May 28, 2015 6:56 am

go exploring. thats what i did! ive got lost out in the woods looking for native streams. find a cold clear water. go in the summer cuz if the water is cold in the summer it may have brookies.

bring a machette, water, granola bars. small flies and an ultra light rod.

Posted Thu May 28, 2015 6:59 am

teamtrout

Troy

Checked out your blog. Very cool, tons of great brookie info. Everyone should check this out.

Posted Thu May 28, 2015 9:49 am

i just moved back down to mass and there are quite a couple places by my area. I currently live in salem and there is actually one stream here with natives but when I was living in nh I had a brook behind my house with some nice natives even the ponds had a wild population because the state would stock it but they would reproduce in the fall brook trout are by far my favorite fish Very Happy Bear Brook State Park is where I lived

Posted Thu May 28, 2015 1:46 pm

Check out all the streams and brooks in your area. Chances are they hold brook trout. They are there, I just can't get excited over a 6" fish! Laughing

Posted Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:04 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links