im having a hard time catching big fish this season! havent broke the 5lbs mark!

my usualy ponds arent doing the trick for me!

IM GOING EXPLORING!!!!

my question is! i wonder if theres a gold mine of big larrys and sallys in plymouth thats either not fished or yall are keeping tight lips!!
with 365 ponds theres gota be a gold mine out there!
have a few ponds in mind

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:32 am

Mike you gotta come night fishing hidden ponds with me bud

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:45 am

I did not know we could fish at night. What kind of fish do you catch?

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:51 am

Bass i dont fish for anything else in freshwater

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:22 pm

im the worst at night fishing! both fresh and salt! i cant catch s***!!!!!!

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:55 pm

what do you guys use for night fishing? bait or lures?

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:29 pm

I like to toss top waters at night. Buzzbaits, jitterbug, hols popper, etc

Really anything that makes some commotion on the surface and is dark in color. I know people do well with black worms too

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:45 pm

can we fish in any water body at night or are there any restrictions?

I am from France and there it was forbidden to fish at night, so I just assumed it was the same here in the US, I guess that was a wrong assumption. It is nice, it opens lots of possibilities especially when day light is not very long in the fall or winter.

Posted Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:08 pm

nope! completely legal! unless you fish the resi and Q.

Posted Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:32 am

You guys know much about the laws for night fishing with yaks or jon boats? I've been told it's a ton of fun, but I get the impression it's not that big in MA (maybe even illegal or discouraged?). It seems like every pond/park I've yakked at has had numerous signs about it being illegal to even park there after sunset. Even had one of Boston's finest harass me for fishing off a dock on the Charles around 10pm a few weeks back and I know that's not illegal, haha.

Posted Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:36 am

That's the thing. If it's not posted then its ok. I fish a few places well after the sun goes down without any troubke. If its a place the people have boats you need to have lights. One place I go to always has knuckleheads flying around in the dark.

Posted Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:45 am

As far as I know, there is nothing illegal about night fishing (from shore or in a kayak) unless otherwise posted. However, I do believe it is illegal to operate a motorboat between sunset and sunrise. I also know that some states (like NH) will have restrictions placed for certain species, usually trout. However, I’m not aware of any such laws here in MA.

Posted Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:25 am

It is legal to fish from anything over 11 ft as long as it has the right lights on it. I do most of my fishing at night not just for the top water explosions more for the relaxation. Pretty sure a kayak might be illegal to fish on but frankly I think if your fishing and not causing problems I don't think the people that live on the lake will tattle on you, but in that same sentence it's much more dangerous fishing on a boat at night not being able to see the cover and the underwater power lines ( ie mystics) so do it at your own risks. It's rewarding in the long run. Anything that makes noise usually works.

Posted Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:46 am

Pretty sure a kayak might be illegal to fish on but frankly

I assume you mean at night? Wink

There's a whole industry popping up around night-yakking (seems to be huge in the gulf states). This company named Kayalu, based in Mass, even specializes in making running-lights and pole-lamps for it (and their website claims they did "extensive" testing on the Charles and in the harbor). Just a shame the state sites don't hardly mention a thing about kayak regulations/laws other than the PFD requirement. They got a whole section on paddleboards though, lol. I sent the EP an email asking for clarification, I'll post whatever they write back (if they write back, haha).

Posted Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:00 am

teamhookset

It is legal to fish from anything over 11 ft as long as it has the right lights on it.

A buddy of mine fishes from his kayak at night, and he did say something about having to put a running light on it. Other than that I don't know what would be illegal about it. The motorboat thing was my goof, I got them confused with PWC (jet skis and the like).

Posted Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:34 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links